Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PASSWORD or USERNAME INCORRECT!

password username invalid

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I'm not sure what's happening.  I have passwords for many different sites.  And I decided to clean up my password file after getting a shiny new computer.  Many passwords / usernames that were correct and working in the past, are no longer working!  I had to reset my password for quite a few sites!  Does anyone here have any idea what might be going on? 

I try to copy and paste passwords and usernames etc., to avoid confusion.  I was wondering if when I copy a password to paste it on a website, if I accidentaly selected a little more than the password, (making a SPACE), does that change the password even though it's just a SPACE?  And also, if I paste something in instead of just typing in manually, could that be a problem also?

Any help with all this would be very much appreciated.  I'm going totally KOO-KOO here!  :(

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Hi Goggleplex Your problem with copy paste

if you copy just 1 space it will post as a space and decline your access.

if you can see the actual password the best option would be to copy to note pad, Office Word and enter them manually that way you know your not putting a space where its not needed. Also you can count the characters from the saved passwords and make sure before you hit enter there are the same amount of Letter's/Numbers

If there is no Copy & Paste Option for your saved passwords you could also take a Screenshot of the passwords and save that file pull it up in future to look at.

Let me know if your still having problems.....

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I'm being very careful with copying and pasting now.  What might be happening is... if I get a new password, and then go to the site, the old password is there in the password field.  At least I suspect that's one of the things that may be happening. 

This is a new computer.  With Windows 8.1, and the company installed what they call, WINDOWS 8 MAKEOVER, EMULATE WINDOWS 7.  It's CLASSIC SHELL plus some other tweaks I think.  CLASSIC SHELL is open source, isn't it?  I'm noticing some quirky stuff, (the kind of thing you might get with open source stuff).  Add that on to the fact that I'm not familiar with Win 8.1, or the good and the bad regarding CLASSIC SHELL, that might account for a lot of the problem.  But I was having similar problems with the old computer!!!!  Sometimes it's hard to pin these things down.  Dyslexia and very poor eyesight are a problem too. 

Om gonna be extra careful.  Let's see what happens in the next few days. 

Thanx for your reply.  :)

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Hello Googleplex,

Yes from what i see Windows 8 makeover Emulate win7 Is Open source.

What sets it aside from Regular Windows 8 is that the (makeover, Emulate Windows 7) is made to bring back some of Window 7's Old Characteristics like Start menu and prompts the system to boot directly into the desktop.

I Don't want to bring you down but all i have found is bad Reviews on WINDOWS 8 MAKEOVER, EMULATE WINDOWS 7 CLASSIC SHELL,

But im curious as to how it works for you! Please inform us how it is in your eyes. and how things are progressing.......Adam