Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Restarts Randomly! Help Please

• Please log in to reply

confused_goose

confused_goose

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello,

I am not sure what is going on but my computer randomly restarts and when I look at the event logs it says Event ID 41 task category 63.

A bit more details from the event log:

- System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID 41       Version 3       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000000000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2014-07-31T20:17:33.483021600Z
      EventRecordID 31921       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4       [ ThreadID] 8
      Channel System       Computer Tania-PC     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress 0     PowerButtonTimestamp 0     BootAppStatus

XML view

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
  <EventID>41</EventID>
  <Version>3</Version>
  <Level>1</Level>
  <Task>63</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-31T20:17:33.483021600Z" />
  <EventRecordID>31921</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>Tania-PC</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you! :)

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

ok

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 31 July 2014 - 03:24 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi confused_goose :)

Allow me to ask you a few questions concerning your issue :

When are these shutdown happening ? What are you doing ? Browsing, gaming, watching videos, etc. ?
May we have your computer specs ? Providing a screenshot of Speccy (by Piriform) would be useful. If you don't have it, you can download and install it from here.
What is your current RAM and CPU usage ? You can get these from the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

confused_goose

confused_goose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi confused_goose :)

Allow me to ask you a few questions concerning your issue :

When are these shutdown happening ? What are you doing ? Browsing, gaming, watching videos, etc. ?
May we have your computer specs ? Providing a screenshot of Speccy (by Piriform) would be useful. If you don't have it, you can download and install it from here.
What is your current RAM and CPU usage ? You can get these from the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

Hello Aura,

Thank you so much for helping out!! It actually happens at random times. So today when it happened I was taking notes on microsoft word earlier when it happened I was watching a video on youtube and the time before that, when it happened, I was just browsing the internet. 

I have attached the .txt file from Speccy as suggested and a picture of my Performance tab in Task Manager. 

Attached Thumbnails

• taskmanager.jpg

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright :)

Right-click on your Window Start Menu icon and select System. From there, click on Advanced System Settings (in the left pane). Click on the 3rd Setting button (under Startup and Recovery). Can you tell me if the Automatically Restart option is checked or not ?

confused_goose

confused_goose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Right-click on your Window Start Menu icon and select System. From there, click on Advanced System Settings (in the left pane). Click on the 3rd Setting button (under Startup and Recovery). Can you tell me if the Automatically Restart option is checked or not ?

It is unchecked 

Edited by confused_goose, 31 July 2014 - 05:52 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It is unchecked

Alright, let's run a chkdsk on your Windows partition then. Be aware that a CHKDSK scan can take several hours to complete, and you shall not interrupt it under any circumstances as you could damage your HDD badly.
  • Right-click on the Windows Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Administrator);;
  • From there, enter the command chkdsk /r C:
  • It will tell you that the drive is in use, cannot be locked and asks you if you want to schedule the scan for the next restart;
  • Enter y then press on Enter;
  • Now simply restart your computer and leave the chkdsk run until it's finished;
Report back after.

Edited by Aura, 31 July 2014 - 06:42 PM.

confused_goose

confused_goose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Trying chkdisk now. It's been stuck at 10% for a while now (writing this from my tablet) should I be worried?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Trying chkdisk now. It's been stuck at 10% for a while now (writing this from my tablet) should I be worried?

Don't be worried, it just means that its hitting bad sectors and trying to recover data from them. The best thing to do is to leave it running overnight or while you're at work.

confused_goose

confused_goose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Don't be worried, it just means that its hitting bad sectors and trying to recover data from them. The best thing to do is to leave it running overnight or while you're at work.

Great! Thank you for letting me know

Advertisements

confused_goose

confused_goose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

So the chkdisk finished and my computer restarted. 

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hey confused_goose

I think Aura Has went to bed, Its very late where he lives. He will finish the process tomorrow. Don't worry he is good at what he does!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

So the chkdisk finished and my computer restarted.

Alright, good !
Can you follow the procedure here and copy/paste the details of the chkdsk report in your next reply so we can see it ?

confused_goose

confused_goose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry for the delay! Here it is: 

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  260608 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.
  2829 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                      
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  316900 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 2107 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2107 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2107 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  28147 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  39931072 USN bytes processed.                                                            Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  260592 files processed.                                                                File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  215631456 free clusters processed.                                                        Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

976401407 KB total disk space.
 113385692 KB in 126112 files.
     92072 KB in 28148 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    397815 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 862525828 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 244100351 total allocation units on disk.
 215631457 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 fa 03 00 36 5a 02 00 6e 7d 04 00 00 00 00 00  ....6Z..n}......
fa 5f 00 00 77 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ._..w...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Edited by confused_goose, 01 August 2014 - 01:08 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
When the computer shutdown, does it produces a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) or not ?