Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Booting up takes forever

• Please log in to reply

jaybird8151

jaybird8151

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have quite an annoying problem. My computer started acting funny last night, it would freeze up randomly, and was taking a long time to do anything. I decided to do a fresh install on XP, and ever since then it has been taking longer to boot up. It pops up with the POST, which use to take just a few secs, and now takes at least a 45 secs to a minute, then it comes up with the blinking underscore for another 15 secs veofre finally loading Windows. What use to take 30 secs total, now takes almost 2 minutes. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
When you say 'fresh install' did you reformat / reinstall or do a repair installation ? If you didn't reformat and it was malware causing the random freezes, the malware could still be lurking around somewhere. (even with a reformat the malware may not be removed completely).
There may be an option in the BIOS called FastBoot or something similar, you could check to see if this is enabled, but before doing anything else pay a visit to the Malware forum and run through all the procedures outlined there to check for and get rid of nasties.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have noticed that more RAM always helps when shutting down the computer, if windows tends to hang. I would think that it would also help in booting up. How much do you have?

jaybird8151

jaybird8151

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick replies. The answers to the questions are:

1: Yes I did a reformat/reinstall. I will go to the malware forum and run the prodedures.

2: I have 1 gig of Corsair PC 3200.

Doh! Just realized I put an i instead of one. Oh well..I think you understood the Roman Numerals.. :tazz:

Edited by jaybird8151, 10 June 2005 - 11:36 AM.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, a gig of the good stuff is more than enough!

jaybird8151

jaybird8151

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone else have an idea? I ran Ad-Aware and AVG and they came up with nothing.
FastBoot is enabled.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Download HijackThis and post a log to the malware forum.