Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

many file segments are unreadable (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

IMHO your HD is about ready to bite the dust. You could run  seatools to verify that. If seatools confirms your HD is bad,it's time for a new drive.

You said you have carbonite for back ups. I don't know that much about the program and it looks to me that there are several plans you can purchase.

If your paying them to back up your OS, I would give them a shout. That's why you pay them to keep your data backed up.

There's a chance that with a new HD you can be back up and running in good shape. I gave you the link in my first reply.Here's the link again.

You need to know if they have a back up image of your OS or just backing up your data. If I knew what all carbonite was backing up, then I could make further suggestions. If carbonite has you fully backed up, then there is no need for me to suggest any thing else. The HD is a piece of cake to replace. Just make sure you get one equal or larger in size. Let me know what carbonite has backed up.I think your drive is about to bite the dust. You need to get started real soon! I will check the link I have here and see if I can learn some thing from carbonite!

doneato!

http://www.carbonite...line-backup-faq

8. What is Mirror Image backup? If you have this plan, you have it made

Mirror Image backup adds an extra layer of protection by creating a copy or "mirror image" of your computer by backing it up to an external hard drive that you provide. Your Mirror Image backup includes your entire computer - not just the files and folders, but also your operating system and software programs, such as Microsoft Word. If your computer crashes and you need to get up and running again quickly, you can use your Mirror Image backup to restore your entire computer - operating system and all - to the way it was before the crash.

PS I'm editing this as I find more information. Here are some contact numbers!

http://www.carbonite...bout/contact-us

Edited by donetao, 02 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

Advertisements

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
You know I was too Damon cheap to get that mirror option, so I believe it's just data backed up.
I gotta pick up a hard drive and get it swapped.
Do you think I can leave the existing one as a slave until it dies? To make it easier to access files?
I got that 's iso file to install the new OS, can I copy it and install from a thumb drive?
Thanks!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Yes as long as the old HD will spin up, you can copy and paste or drag and drop your files. 

You could also use a 3rd party program to clone your old HD as long as it's still working. That gets a little more involved.

I use Macrium Reflect to back up my HD. If you want to take a shot at cloning your old drive, it's not that hard with Macrium.

http://kb.macrium.co...ticle50081.aspx

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
I'd love to try cloning, but system seems very unstable, crashes often unless I'm very patient and wait till activity is low, maybe if I disable all background prprograms.
Think it's with a try?
I could use external hard drive? For the cloned file?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

I'd love to try cloning, but system seems very unstable, crashes often unless I'm very patient and wait till activity is low, maybe if I disable all background prprograms.
Think it's with a try?
I could use external hard drive? For the cloned file?

Yes It's worth a try. You can not use a external HD to clone. Windows will not boot to a External drive. You can put the clone on the external drive,but you won't be able to boot windows! Here's link to Macrium. I use the free version. Please read the link I provided earlier about how to clone a HD. I will try to help you all I can!

http://filehippo.com...macrium_reflect

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Ok, I'm not in shop today, but am gonna try to work on this tomorrow.
Do I have to install new drive 1st, then attempt to use that software to clone from old to new?
Thx!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Ok, I'm not in shop today, but am gonna try to work on this tomorrow.
Do I have to install new drive 1st, then attempt to use that software to clone from old to new?
Thx!

Yes! You need to install the new drive first. You need to see if your PC has the cable that allows you to attach another HD to the Mother Board.

You can buy the cable or use a docking station. If you read the links I have provided, these questions are answered.

I'm retired and usually around. I don't get up very early. It's 11:08 here now.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

do you mean the ribbon that would have 2  connections for 2 hard drives and 1 to the mother board?

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

can you tell what kind of hard drive this is, as in what type do I need to buy to replace it?

Thx!

Y4N52
HARD DRIVE, 2TB, S3, 7.2K, 512E, SGT-GRDABP

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I'm really not good with hardware but, this is what Google came up with. Might be good to take the old HD to staples ect???http://www.ebay.com/...9396708?lpid=82

PS I'm very old and need my naps. I will be off the forum for awhile. :laughing:

Edited by donetao, 02 August 2014 - 11:21 AM.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

do you mean the ribbon that would have 2  connections for 2 hard drives and 1 to the mother board?

YES!

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok Donetao, I picked up another 2tb hard drive, only one they had was a toshiba, fingers crossed.I was'nt able to get the wire with 2 connectors, but the guy at staples told me I could use connector from the cd drive, and thats how I got it installed for now. I saw a message that device is properly installed, just before it crashed again. but the device is not showing up  and system seems to be very buggy still, don't know if the pc will stay on long enough to run the cloning software.

ok it keeps crashing regularly with the new hard drive connected the way I had it.

now all I did was take the smaller cable off the cd drive and put it on new drive, the other wider cable I assume is power? that was just hanging off the existing drives power (?) cable. 

is there another port I can plug the old cd drive cables other end into, or do both hard drives need to be on the same cable.

unless I hear from you soon I'm gonna go to a computor store & try to find one.

I'm seeing 4 sata ports on mother board sata 0-3? the hard drive was on sata0, the cd drive sata 1, 2+3 empty

so I had the new drive connected to sata 1, 

system crashed immediatly after starting with new drive installed thus, so put every thing back, and now it's still crashing after a minute or so of start up.

can any of this be tried in safe mode with limited resources, or can I try to shut down most or all start up programs? it seems like whenever the system tries to to anything or more than 1 thing at a time it's crashing?

could just be this thing is toasted? and we should move to plan b? that is do a fresh install of os onto the new drive?

I of course can keep rambling on with thoughts indefinitly, but let me stop now and get some advice.

THX!!

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, another thought maybe wort rambling about ;

if I can get this thing semi stable again, (running dskchk again, seems to stabalize somewhat after doing this) 

what do you think about upgrading my carbonite to a image plan and see if it can grab an image for me, I'm definitely gonna want to be doing this forward anyway, can't believe I did'nt have this setup!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

ok Donetao, I picked up another 2tb hard drive, only one they had was a toshiba, fingers crossed.I was'nt able to get the wire with 2 connectors, but the guy at staples told me I could use connector from the cd drive, and thats how I got it installed for now. I saw a message that device is properly installed, just before it crashed again. but the device is not showing up  and system seems to be very buggy still, don't know if the pc will stay on long enough to run the cloning software.

ok it keeps crashing regularly with the new hard drive connected the way I had it.

now all I did was take the smaller cable off the cd drive and put it on new drive, the other wider cable I assume is power? that was just hanging off the existing drives power (?) cable. 

is there another port I can plug the old cd drive cables other end into, or do both hard drives need to be on the same cable.

unless I hear from you soon I'm gonna go to a computor store & try to find one.

I'm seeing 4 sata ports on mother board sata 0-3? the hard drive was on sata0, the cd drive sata 1, 2+3 empty

so I had the new drive connected to sata 1, 

system crashed immediatly after starting with new drive installed thus, so put every thing back, and now it's still crashing after a minute or so of start up.

can any of this be tried in safe mode with limited resources, or can I try to shut down most or all start up programs? it seems like whenever the system tries to to anything or more than 1 thing at a time it's crashing?

could just be this thing is toasted? and we should move to plan b? that is do a fresh install of os onto the new drive?

I of course can keep rambling on with thoughts indefinitly, but let me stop now and get some advice.

THX!!

Hello!

There's a lot in your reply good buddy. I'll give it a shot.

First thing! You need both HD's connected and you will need the strap that connects to the MB that allows you to do that.

Next thing you're throwing things at me so fast, I don't know which one to respond to.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

sorry, I know....

ok I guess I'll try  to slow it down.

Do you think with this so unstable, even if sucessful getting a clone, that the clone would be healthy enough to use?

or should I just move forward to fresh installation of software on new drive, and then just tough it out getting drivers etc to get it back running, then I can get my backup into it?