Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

many file segments are unreadable (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Right after a window update? Won't let me do a restore because of disk issues?

Is this most likely a hard drive issue?

Any chance a virus (sorry if stupid question)

I have full backup with carbonite, do I need to buy a new hard drive?

I can start and programs run, but very buggy and crashes if I try too much?

Anything else I can do?

If I have to install new drive, how do I get my operating system on it to start the restore process.

This sucks, big time, running a small business and it's killing me timewise

Thanks for any & all help!

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Hi njlock

First can we have your Computer Specs?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

All HD manufactures have programs that will test your HD if you think that is your issue.

I like seatools. It claims it can test any HD!

http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/

SeaTools for Windows tests SATA, USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE) and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe. If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, your troubleshooting can move to other areas.

Here are some answers from carbonite. You can find more information on the internet!

http://www.carbonite.com/online-backup/personal-online-backup-faq

Edited by donetao, 01 August 2014 - 09:03 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello njlock :)

The error message you receive is often associated with a failing hard drive, so it would be wise to back up all your data as soon as possible before such an incident occur.

Once it's done, we shall check if the HDD is effectively failing and/or damaged or if you've just hit a few bad sectors.
Click on your Windows Start Menu and type in cmd. Click on the cmd icon that will appear to appear the command prompt and enter the command chkdsk /r. A message will be returned telling you that the drive cannot be locked for the chkdsk and will ask you if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Enter y then press Enter. Once done, restart your computer, the chkdsk will be launched automatically.

Please be aware that a chkdsk scan is a lenghty operation that can take many hours to complete. Do not interrupt that process or you risk to damage your HDD even further..

Please report back after the chkdsk operation is complete.

Edited by Aura, 01 August 2014 - 08:58 AM.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Ok, running Windows 7 premium btw, will follow instructions when back in shop in a hour or so.
Thanks SO much for quick response.
I will definitely be making a donation regardless of outcome.
I left it to the disk start up scan it wants to do while I'm out.
Thx. Again! This is so frustrating!!!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Ok, running Windows 7 premium btw, will follow instructions when back in shop in a hour or so.

Alright that's good.
After the chkdsk scan is over, I'll link you a tutorial that will show you to go grab the chkdsk scan log so you can post it here for me to read/analyze the results.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Please be aware that a chkdsk scan is a lenghty operation that can take many hours to complete. Do not interrupt that process or you risk to damage your HDD even further..

Seatools test can be cancelled at any time and will not damage your HD

Good luck! Will monitor your thread. Looks like you have good help!

Edited by donetao, 01 August 2014 - 09:14 AM.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Ok, will let it finish chkdisk scan
Thx guys

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Ok, will let it finish chkdisk scan
Thx guys

Hello! You're very welcome. I hope every thing works out for you!

doneato!

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Just got back, scan still going, all unreadable segments flying down the screen. Great!

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Just got back, scan still going, all unreadable segments flying down the screen. Great!

Looks like your HDD have more than a few bad sectors in it right ? I would be ready to buy a new HDD if I were you, just in case.
But for now, it doesn't look good.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

OK, Sorry if this is gonna be complicated. but......

So what happens next, is this scan gonna try to repair?  or if it's showing too many unreadable segments, it's just a forgone conclusion that drive is shot?

whats the next step? I know you probably need to know results of scan.  

1; Whats a good brand hard drive? reliability wise? Should I be thinking solid state? I'd probably have to go to a local big box store as I don't have time to order. like staples, best buy, etc.

2; How will I get the new drive up & running? Do I want to install it as a slave to assist in downloading the OS? then swap it as primary once up & running?

the pc I have now is a dell, I believe it has the reinstall file(?) on a separate partition? or do we assume thats gonna be unstable as well?

I do have a 2nd pc (i'm on now) in my shop,(to download & transfer files) but all the main accounting & scheduling programs and files are on the main pc that's having the problems. 

thx,

I'll report back after this scan finishes, it up to 492xxx file record now, I have a 500g hard drive, so god knows how long its gonna take. and still going with that "is unreadable " continiuosly now

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The CHKDSK /r scan is currently looking for bad sectors on your partition. If it finds a bad sector, it will mark it as "bad" so no data will be stored on it in the future. The /r switch tells CHKDSK to recover data from a bad sector when it encounter one IF possible and store it elsewhere in order to save it.

The next step will be decided after the CHKDSK scan and after we see what it detected, repaired and couldn't repair.

1. I'm not an hardware expert, but Western Digitals and Seagate are two very good HDD companies. If you want to get a SSD, it's totally up to you. Be aware that SSD are more expensive than HDD, and therefore you'll most likely want to buy a small one (like 64GBs) to simply install Windows on it and install all your other softwares and store your documents on another HDD.

2. To get a new drive up and running is simple. You simply swap the current HDD with the new HDD or SSD that you'll buy, insert your Windows 7 installation media (either a DVD or a USB) in your computer, boot from that media and start the installation. During the installation process, you'll choose to install Windows on that new HDD/SSD.

Assuming that your HDD indeed have a Recovery Partition, it can only be used to reinstall Windows on that specific HDD, and not a new onw. Also, if the HDD is failing (too many bad sectors, making it useless), it will be useless to do a Factory Restore on that same HDD.

We can also assist you in backing up all the data from the HDD on the computer that you're currently having issues with if you ever decide to reinstall Windows.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, so unreadable does'nt necessarily mean bad? ok, now This is a dell, I don't think I got disks with this? should I get dell on the phone to order the reinstallation disc? or maybe I can download it?

I know I'm being impatient, but this is causing my hair to fall out waiting for this scan to finish. OK, I'll take a breath and wait it out. If it's not done by 5 my time I'm going home to get drunk, and hit it again in the morning. so if you don't hear back from me in the next 2 hours, glug, glug glug!  :>

thx again

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

how do I make a donation? don't see a button?