Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway NV79 won't run on battery power

• Please log in to reply

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hello all,

It has been a long time since my last post but I have run up against a problem that really has me stumped and being an IT pro it makes me feel like a total idiot.

Here is my problem:

My original battery started to discharge within a half hour of being fully charged so I got a new battery. It worked OK but didn't last as long as the old one did but I could at least have it off of the AC for a little bit. Then one night it needed to install some updates so I let it do its thing and went to bed. The next day I tried to turn it on and it was stone dead. So logically I plugged it in and the charging indicator flashed red and turned blue right away indicating a full charge. I thought that was odd so I unplugged it and tried it again, nothing.

I decided to leave it plugged in while I was at work and when I got home it was the same scenario. So I bought a new battery because I had the second newest battery for a year and they aren't that expensive. I got the new battery the other day and plugged it in and returned to work. When I got home, same thing; blue light but the laptop won't turn on when it's unplugged. After banging my head on the desk repeatedly for 10 minutes and disassembling the laptop to check any loose connections I turned to Google on my wife's laptop to help me figure this out.

What I have tried:

Hard Reset

Two AC adapters with identical I/O

Running the laptop off of just the AC which works and the laptop recognizes the absence of the battery

Deleted Microsoft AC Adapter and ACPI Compliant Control in device manager

Tried different screen positions (someone said it worked for them with an NV series laptop)

Checked my BIOS for any settings but InsydeH2O 3.5 doesn't show any battery or power settings at all

Flashed the BIOS with an update

Restored to factory defaults which was also to solve an unrelated issue

I have not tried:

The original battery because I haven't found the box I packed it in.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Once again:

Laptop: Gateway NV79

Advertisements

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Hello bobafett81181.

Hmm This sounds odd to me. You say you have bought new Battery & New A/C cord.

The Batteries you are buying are they the same as original?

Battery Chemistry Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery Capacity 4400 mAh Maximum Battery Run Time 5.80 Hour

Only other thing i would suggest is the

chargeing circuit may be damaged

But we can see what others have to say. Best of luck to you

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thanks for the reply!

I have not bought a new AC I just used one from a new computer that I know is working. The battery chemistry is the same. I have seen the charging circuit elsewhere but I am not sure what to look for on my motherboard.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I am not sure i would do this fix. I have looked for instructions to give you but i think it would be certainly a hard task.

By the way i would try a new A/C cord and even check the Receptacle! Or atleast check it using a Different Receptacle. ANYTHING other than tearing apart your motherboard. Im sorry i can't be any more help than this. But That's something i would not want to even atempt not being there looking at the part we are working on. Many things can go wrong.

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 01 August 2014 - 03:28 PM.

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I used my multimeter to test voltages and everything checked out. The amount of power going to the battery terminals checks out just fine, after I saw that I didn't think there was any need to tear it apart.

HelpMeHelpYou

HelpMeHelpYou

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Have you found out anything yet?

It may be the CMOS Battery, Have you noticed any problems previous to this?

Edited by HelpMeHelpYou, 03 August 2014 - 11:12 AM.