Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Consumption

PSU GPU POWER CONSUMPTION HARDWARE COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

Divinity098

Divinity098

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello! I am purchasing a new computer and these are the parts:

-SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 

-AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

-GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

-Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 

-EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC 

I just wanted to know if a 500w PSU with up to 40A +12V would suffice. I don't care about brand recommendations or any special stuff, or anything like that. I just want to know, will it work? or Is it enough?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:     Divinity098

A good quality brand 500W PSU would be adequate for your listed parts.

I don't care about brand recommendations or any special stuff, or anything like that. I just want to know, will it work? or Is it enough?

Sorry but the above approach could cost you dear  :(

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the attached links http://www.10stripe.com/featured/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208143

PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU (will any potential new PSU fit in your present or proposed new case) and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as as a GPU which may require one or more six or eight pin power connections, some may also require 1 X 8 + 1 X 6 pin PCI-E connections from the PSU for example.

Never purchase any PSU that is not at least bronze rated or with less wattage and very importantly amps on the +12V rail than is suggested as being the Minimum requirements by the GPU manufacturer.