Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Permission Changes

Operating System Windows Computer Laptop Technology System32 Permissions

• Please log in to reply

Joey_Roddy

Joey_Roddy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello everyone,

I've always loved the older version of Microsoft Windows Paint for Windows XP edition.

After some research, I learned that I could download that older version and replace it with the one I had on Windows 8.1

At first, I tried to replace it in the system32 folder, but it said,

"You do not have permission to perform this action. You require permission from TrustedInstaller."

After researching the internet, I learned step by step tutorial on how to change the owner which was TrustedInstaller;

learned how to grant permission to me; the administrator over the system files.

It has been said,

"You should be able to access that particular file or folder. Be careful when you alter the permission for System file or folder it may cause serious damage to your system and compromise security. So please create a system restore point first and then proceed with caution."

My question is.....

can granting full control to the administrator over system32 folder cause problems or issues?

Is this wise to do?

If not, please let me know so I can revert back to granting permission to TrustedInstaller over system32 folder.

All I wanted was to replace mspaint.exe with an older version from Windows XP edition.

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi there. It isn't wise to change permissions on system folders.

But if you do make changes to change your mspaint, you can always remove the permissions you added afterwards to avoid problems.