Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! seagate sata hdd problem

• Please log in to reply

einkrypt

einkrypt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;)
hi all! was looking through this forum over some of the older posts and found out that most people got quite satisfactory answers around here, hence the decision to ask for some help over here. ;)
i've got a seagate barracuda 200gb sata hdd that is giving me a headache to install. basically i've installed a pci sata controller card, which seems to be running fine. (got a display showing that controller was detected, and the drive is attached to it.) problem is, xp can't seem to 'see' the drive at all, even though it is connected and there are no apparent conflicts.
i've tried to remove my ide drive, and just using this sata drive to do a clean installation of xp on that, but the setup shows that no mass storage devices were detected. (i've hit the F6 button, placed in my floppy with the drivers, but still didn't work.)
I know there is definately someone brilliant enough out there who can solve this problem! please enlighten me!

p.s: will gladly post any and all required information. (except for banking/credit card details :tazz: )

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi einkrypt-
pleae list your motherboard make/model, and the same on the sata controller card.

you may need to tweak your BIOS to allow booting to a different device.
check your boot order, list what its set at currently.

einkrypt

einkrypt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
motherboard should be this:
694 Master ATXVA5 Mainboard by MSI
but the controller card looks like one of a general make:
Manufacturer:Syba
PCI Serial ATA Host Controller Card (Silicon Image Sata Card)
(sata3112)?
boot order is currently set as:
CDROM, Floppy, HD0
running through the cmos, i cannot find anything remotely close to mentioning sata, except maybe for scsi?

Edited by einkrypt, 10 June 2005 - 08:12 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I cant find anything by that number on the MSI website.
grab and run Everest home, it will give your motherboard info.
also tell me what it says about your cpu, specifically looking for the socket type.

I suspect you will need to change the boot order from hdd to scsi, then when isstalling windows, use the SIL 3112 driver.
would like to confirm this though.

post back the above info, and we'll figure this out!

gauri

gauri

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi dude!

This is the same [bleep] problem i had before when i used to have a desktop...i want to know that when u install ur harddrive...wat does the CMOS settings shows i mean on ur motherborad under IDE drives..whether it shows the hard drive over thre or no???
Just try changing the jumper setting to master or slave ..watever...

:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi gauri, were talking about sata drives here. no jumper settings to worry about.
also he's attaching it to a PCI card, so the drive wont show up in BIOS.

gauri

gauri

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: sorry i thought something else...