Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver crash on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Just a few minutes ago my display driver crashed and the screen went dark for a few minutes before coming back. It said the display driver crashed and stopped functioning but has recovered. My shockwave flash also crashed. What could have caused this, CCleaner found no errors and at the moment I am typing this I am running a virus scan. No threats found so far.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

This can sometimes happen for no apparent reason and not be repeated for a long time or in fact ever again in the lifetime of the computer.

If the problem persists see if there is a pattern to it such as when watching videos or gaming etc, if it does happen again you should try a system restore point that is before the time and date the problem first happened and see if that resolves the issue.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

NB: In order to receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I am using a Toshiba Satillite L755D-S5204 laptop. I was browing the web, I had two chats open and I was browing a third webpage with flash plugsin on it, could I have just overloaded my driver?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hard to say but what you had going on was not particularly demanding;

To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2  :thumbsup: 

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8/ 8.1 - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows*8) | HP® Support (example only)

2. Run Driver Verifier -

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type verifier 
Windows 8.1 & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)" | type verifier 

Make these selections - 

1. Select 2nd option - Create custom settings (for code developers)
2. Select 2nd option - Select individual settings from a full list

3. Check these boxes -

▪ Special Pool 
▪ Pool Tracking 
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8) 
▪ Miscellaneous Checks

4. Select last option - Select driver names from a list
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish 
8. Re-boot
[/HIDE]

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows

... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up

... • Select "System Restore"

... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status

--- select last option, 1st screen -or-

--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)

- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.

- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I might wait and see if it happens again before I do anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Good call as like suggested it may have been a temporary glitch.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Good call as like suggested it may have been a temporary glitch.

I hope so, last time this happend on another computer it was a registry error.  Worst case scenario I have my subcritpion to a tech support company, I can always have them look at it over the phone/remote access.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I hope that it will not be required but it is a good back up plan should it be needed.