Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Essexboy [BSoD followed by boot hanging on aswrvrt.sys] [Solved]

aswrvrt.sys wont boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Julia.G

Julia.G

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Hello,

I posted the following in the Windows 7 forum and got told to move this here, with "Essexboy" as a title. Here's the original thread:

http://www.geekstogo...-on-aswrvrtsys/

I have a samsung RF511 laptop running Windows 7. I recently downloaded some large files, and my hard drive was pretty full. I'd just realized that and was about to clear some space on it when Avast told me it found some virus or other and needed to restart the computer and do a boot-time scan. I thought it wasn't going to take that long, but it took hours. After it was finished, it started to load Windows, but then I got a BSoD (too fast to read) and it was just hanging in a black screen and was completely unresponsive. I hard reset it and tried again, but nothing works. I tried 'last working configuration', and some other repair options it gave me when I turned it back on, but it just hangs on either a black screen or a blue windows background (sometimes with a pointer that moves around but there's nothing to click on). When I try to start in safe mode, it hangs on aswrvrt.sys every time.

I've read a few other topics saying that this could be caused by hard drive issues, and I think that's very likely considering how full mine was when it crashed. But I've also read that Avast can be a problem, so I'm hoping there's a way I can save my files.

Thanks!

Thanks again.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Hi is this a 32 or 64 bit system ?

Do you have the windows CD

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It's a 64 bit system, I believe. Windows came preinstalled, so I don't have a CD.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

The following will create the recovery console which will allow us to access windows

Download the following three programmes to your desktop :

1. Rufus

For 64bit systems
2. Windows 7 64bit RC I will PM the link for this
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus
rufus.JPG
Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.

Press Start Burn
RufusISO.JPG
Then copy FRST to the same USB

frstwintoboot.JPG

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer. First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here

Windows 7 and Vista screenshots

When you reboot you will see this.
Click repair my computer
RepairVista_7275.jpg

Select your operating system
RepairVista_7277202.jpg

Select Command prompt
RepairVista_7277.jpg

At the command prompt type the following :

notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe  
and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
frst.JPG
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

After I replied, I was reminded that there wasn't a Windows CD, but there might be a Samsung CD that came with the computer. I'd totally forgotten about that, but I found it. It says system recovery media, and it says it contains a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. I'm sorry about the confusion. Does that change the previous instructions at all?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not really as the recovery disc will not give us what we need as that will just reinstall windows. Unless you wish to do that

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I'd very much like to avoid that, if possible :)

OK, so I followed the instructions and tried to boot from the USB. I had to go into the BIOS and change the boot order, but there were many options with 'USB' on them, and I put all of those before the others, because I didn't know which one was the right one. Then I saved, inserted the USB stick and turned on the computer. It said 'press any key to boot from USB', so I did. Then it says Windows is loading files with a progress bar, and when it's done, it's stuck on a blue windows background with the pointer, but nothing else happens :( I can move the pointer and that's it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that does not sound to good

We can try a PE system (windows on a stick :) ) to see if that allows us access

Download Peazip to the desktop
Run and install the programme
As it installs this page will show, deselect the AVG ticks
Press decline and it will then install cleanly

peazip.jpg

Download the following files to the desktop .. Right click the links and select save as...then select desktop

Rufus

OTLPE_standard

Right click OTLPE on your desktop and select ..Open as archive

Unzup%20archive.png

Select OTLPE standard

select%20archive.PNG

Click Extract, ensure that desktop is selected

extract%20archive.PNG

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus
rufus.JPG
Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.

Press Start Burn
RufusISO.JPG

Once the USB has burnt then
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to the flash drive.
    • Reboot your system using the boot USB you just created.
      Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here
    • As the Programme needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)
    • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
    • The tool will start to run.
      FRST2.gif
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Probably a dumb question, but should FRST be the 64 bit version still?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Good question :)  Yes please

Advertisements

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

OK, I put them both on the stick just so I could start the process ASAP, but I'll be sure to click on the 64 bit one, if I ever get around to it :P There'a a tiny dash blinking in the upper left corner of my screen but nothing else is going on. I'm hoping this is the part where I'm supposed to get some tea? :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Not a good sign again as you should see OTLPE loading the reatogo desktop. As the files load they should display as names on the screen

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

:( Should I wait more? Try a different USB port? Different USB stick?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Try a different port I feel although to be honest I am not over confident.  I feel there may be a coincidental hardware failure here

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I tried all the ports and it's still the same, just a black screen with a blinking dash. I even tried doing the previous instructions again, in case I'd messed them up or something, but no. So I thought I'd at least try booting from that Recovery CD, since nothing seems to work, and it at least showed a screen offering to install Windows again. I don't really wanna do that just yet, but if this CD worked, could a CD work better than USB? Is there a way to do what I did with the USB stick with a CD or DVD instead?

Edited to add: One time, when I was powering on the PC to insert the CD, I got it to start in Safe Mode, and it went to a screen that said "Safe Mode" in the corners, but was still black with a pointer. The interesting thing is that it didn't hang on aswrvrt.sys this time, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Edit 2: A friend suggested I try making a USB stick to boot into DOS, and I used Rufus (freeDOS). It worked fine, and loads and everything, but every other directory is not accessible (I'm guessing because it assumes the computer is just the USB stick), and I realize I can't run FRST since it's supposed to run on Windows, so I didn't even try. I'm not sure if that's any help at all, but I thought maybe there was a way to get at the files in the hard drive from there and transfer them to an external hard drive or something. After that, I'd be fine with a clean install of Windows, it's mostly the files I'm worried about.

Anyway, thanks again for doing this and for your patience, it's very much appreciated :)

Edited by Julia.G, 04 August 2014 - 06:32 PM.