Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

FrankTank4814

FrankTank4814

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am trying to install windows on a second (older) computer for someone to use. I had the hard drive that I'm using for this new system in my current computer for backup/storage. I put this old HDD in the second computer, turned it on, put in the windows installation cd, but through the bios, I got nowhere. What do I need to do to get windows intalled?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
hello and welcome to geeks to go

you can read articles and infos from THIS.

or visit http://www.bootdisk.com

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is the BIOS set to boot from the cd-rom as the first boot device??

If not, change it to make it so!!

Then, just boot the system with the XP cd in the drive.. XP is self-booting and you should get a screen asking if you want to boot from the cd or boot from the hdd..

Guess which one you pick?? :tazz:

Murray

FrankTank4814

FrankTank4814

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I followed the instructions in the first link and that's basically what I did. I had already tried setting the cd-rom drive first on the boot list then restarting, but nothing happens. I'm curious if it might have something to do with the fact that the only way I can restart is by physically hitting the reset button.

When the comp is displaying the page that shows the ram, keyboard/mouse detected, etc, on the bottom of the page, the 2 options are F1 for setup and ESC to resume. When I press esc to resume it takes me to a blank page then says "remove disks or other media. press any key to restart."

From this page i have to hit the reset button because it repeates this everytime i hit a button.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Once you make the boot change in BIOS, you need to click on the option that says"Save the change and exit" (or similiar).. The system should re-boot on its own..

Just make sure the XP cd is in the drive..

Murray

FrankTank4814

FrankTank4814

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for the feedback Murray. I did what you said, and it does restart, but nothing happens. it takes me right back to the screen that gives me the option to goto setup or resume.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are you using an original unused XP cd or a copy you or someone else made for you?? :tazz:

Murray

FrankTank4814

FrankTank4814

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it's a copy. the comp that i use [hp] came with a recovery partition on the hdd.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sorry Frank, but that means you are using a pirated version that is NOT supported in this forum..

I will be asking a Moderator to close this thread as soon as they can..

Should you get a legal copy or purchase a license from Microsoft for that copy, support will be available once more!!

Murray