Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resource Help PLZ

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

My sister was "kind" enough to give me this laptop to use until I can finish paying off my new one. However, there's so much crud on this thing that I can't even load up yahoo most times, and can't ever load Facebook. I'm hoping someone out there would help me out finding out what I can do to recover some resources on this stupid thing.

And a warning I'm using atiquated Windows XP SP3, I don't wanna fork out money buying hardware for this thing I"m going to use for 4 or 5 months

Thank you in advance and please let me know if you need any additional information. I am including my System information and the list from Windows task manager..

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    JAMES
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    MM061
System Type    X86-based PC
Processor    x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1729 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A09, 9/29/2006
SMBIOS Version    2.4
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name    JAMES\James Dean Randall
Time Zone    Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory    512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory    160.20 MB
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB
Page File Space    1.92 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Crap it wont let me include task manager list....is there somewhere else I can get that information to give to you

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! How much would you like to clean?

Would you like to go back to out of the box?

http://www.dell.com/...ew?docid=266618

How much free disc space do you have??I'm guessing but I bet you have a ton of malware.

You could start with a disk clean up and a defrag

CCleaner is a good program to clean some things.

If I was in your shoes, I would create a back up image of your OS and restore back to out of the box.

That way when you returned it, you could give it back just like you got it.

Not knowing your computer skills lets start with a disc clean up and a defrag. Let me know how it goes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305781

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

OK i'm sorry I should have clarified a few this in my first post. I have already run Malware, antivirus and defrag on this machine and deleted a whole bunch of crap that wasn't needed..

And I would LOVE to go back to "out of the box" but unfortuantely my sister is an idiot and bought this thing at a Large chain store that preloads windows onto the compter and does't supply a DVD with their machines. They only partition the drive and put a "recovery" version on that partition and I can not seem to get into that ....but thank you so much for the reply...don't know ever maybe poeple miss the obvious in a state of "COMPUTER MELTDOWN"

Edited by dolface755, 04 August 2014 - 04:32 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

You're not able to get to the factory restore with F8??

http://www.dell.com/...ew?docid=266618

Edited by donetao, 04 August 2014 - 06:32 PM.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

no I've tried the F* function and it just keeps giving me "Drive is locked" message. I was wondering if I got a valid copy of WinXP would I be able to use that to format and reinstall and just use the XP code from this machine? Or does the machine and disc have to match?

I'm sorry bout all of this. It doesn't help that I"ve already gone through most of the obvious ways of dealing with this. Now i'm getting to the point of this just being an expensive boat anchor.

This is also the reason I build my own machine and put the software on it myself

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Never had a HD locked, but this is what Google Tells me.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000355.htm

Yes If you have a valid copy of WinXP. you could use that to format and install and use the 25diget code.

The F8 would be the way to go if you get the drive unlocked!

doneato!

Edited by donetao, 05 August 2014 - 05:55 PM.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

thank you very much I will try that as soon as I can and post reply

:)

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

I apologize, as I realize it's been quite some time since I have added anything to this post. Somehow in this household it seems that systems that are laughingly what I'm supposed to be using get fixed last.

I have gone through the steps given me to do a "from factory" or "out of the box" system and for some reason on this Dell Machine it will not work, either that or I"m pulling a major brain malfunction and not seeing what I"m supposed to be seeing as the boot scree comes up.

When i push the F8 button on booting the system up I get the following options:

Safe Mode

Salfe Mode with networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging

Enable VGA mode

Last knowno Good Configuration

Directory Servics Restore Mode (windows domain controllers only)

Debuging Mode

Disable automatic restart on System Failure

Start Normally

Reboot

Resturn to OX Choices Menu

I am also going to include the System Informtion File as saved from last reboot to see if there's something I've been missing in that area of the computer.

I"ve never "bought" a computer that has ever been pre-loaded with windows for the exact reasons I'm having problems now. I would much prefer buying a system I put together myself that I was I know what system, programs and accessories that I put on the computer and then It's much easier to fix them.

Below is the file I saved from the "system information" file that I found on this system in hopes that maybe I am missing something or just have a major brain fart.

I seriously only need this system to last me until I can finally make the final payments on the system I built for myself with with the components and software that I use all the time. If someone would be so unbelievably kind on helping mw get this stupid machine working for the next few month I would be forever grateful....

Thank you in advance

below is the wht systme information has given me on what is currently on the stupid buttass boat anchor that I am using

and again I sooooo much appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

If there is any other information you need please feel free to email me and I will try and find what you are looking for.

Thank you again, as I'm just trying to use this system as a link to facebook and some fo the writing I do to the government and papers