Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyway to increase download speeds on Filezilla FTP?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I am using Filezilla, Version 3.9.0.1. 64bit.

I am trying to download a bunch of wedding videos from clients in Ukraine and France. I do editing and graphics for them, but that doesn't matter. The servers I download from have upload speeds of 18mbps-30mbps, especially in Ukraine. I know, I'm from there, and they have recently tested their upload speeds again for me. And being in America, both my upload and download speeds suck for the money I pay. I pay for 20mbps download speeds. But in my Filezilla FTP, when I combine the total download speeds of my downloads, I never get above 1.5-1.85mbps. Meaning...between my 3 or 4 concurrent downloads, the speed I get is like 1.5mbps. I have the correct port set. And so I am wondering if there is anything I can do to increase my download speeds in my FTP?

Thank you so much gents.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Dumb answer, but are you wireless. If so try USB cable! might help a little!

I told you it'sa dumb answer??

Edited by donetao, 04 August 2014 - 06:15 PM.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello!

Dumb answer, but are you wireless. If so try USB cable! might help a little!

I told you it'sa dumb answer??

Dear Donetao, it's not a dumb answer at all. I appreciate very much. And I have tried downloading using my CAT5 cable, but it only helped a little.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

:spoton:

Ok That's all have! :wave:http://www.speedtest...sult/3668772265

I'm paying for 20. Think I'll have a chat with my ISP

You got to watch them all the time

Edited by donetao, 04 August 2014 - 08:01 PM.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

:spoton:

Ok That's all have! :wave:http://www.speedtest...sult/3668772265

I'm paying for 20. Think I'll have a chat with my ISP

You got to watch them all the time

Thank you Donetao for answering my thread.

yeah my speedtest results always come back pretty nice, but in actuality, those results mean nothing.

3668878959.png

Edited by BearCavalry, 04 August 2014 - 10:09 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Thank you Donetao for answering my thread.
yeah my speedtest results always come back pretty nice, but in actuality, those results mean nothing.

My pleasure. My results very a lot. I'm really never in a big hurry, but I like to bug my ISP. I'm the computer guy in my retirement village. I take care of the old farts here. I never charge them one cent. When I call my ISP, they all know me. It's really amazing, my down load improves after I call. The up load stays about the same.

I guess it's time to bug them again. I'll ask them"How much am I paying for" Them I'll tell them "Well I ani't getting that much" :laughing: They treat me well. They have completely rewired my cottage with the good stuff. They have some good people working for them.

Nevan

Nevan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,765 posts

Hello.

There is an important thing to know about download speed.

Your maximum download speed is always equal to 1/8 of your internet speed. That's because 8 Mb = 1 MB. So, if your SpeedTest shows you 15.5 Mb/s, that means that your maximum download speed is 15.5/8 = ~1.94 MB/s.

This can also fall down a little depending on if you're doing something else on the Internet at the time of downloading. It also depends on how far you're from the server that you're downloading files from.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! cool! Good information!

donetao!

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello.

There is an important thing to know about download speed.

Your maximum download speed is always equal to 1/8 of your internet speed. That's because 8 Mb = 1 MB. So, if your SpeedTest shows you 15.5 Mb/s, that means that your maximum download speed is 15.5/8 = ~1.94 MB/s.

This can also fall down a little depending on if you're doing something else on the Internet at the time of downloading. It also depends on how far you're from the server that you're downloading files from.

Awwww man, are you serious???? Well...pffffttt, this sucks. Well thank you for your knowledge.