Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PUP.Optional.Softonic.A? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Reboot your machine if not done so and check if this problem is resolved or not please. :)

Advertisements

adam80

adam80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Rebooted and still getting the message "You don't have permission to save in this location" when I try to save on my C:\.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Rebooted and still getting the message "You don't have permission to save in this location" when I try to save on my C:\.

Acknowledged, I'll inform the developer of DelFix about this as most likely the UAC(user account control) settings have been reconfigured incorrectly. In the meantime please carry out the below for myself as follows...

Invoke a SR Point:
  • Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run...(Or launch the Run... box via depressing both the Windows key and R together)
  • Then copy/paste(via highlighting and pressing CTRL + C or after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy) the following command into the Run... box
%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe
  • Now click on OK
  • Once the System Restore window has appeared >>Next > >> click once on End of disinfection to highlight if it is not already.
  • Then click on Next > >> Finish >> Yes >> the System Restore process will begin and your machine should automatically reboot upon completion etc.
Next:

When completed the above please check if still the same problem and also inform myself if anything has reappeared on your dekstop. Such as DelFix for example, thank you.

adam80

adam80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Did as you asked and I'm still getting the message that I need administrator approval to move or save on my C:\. The Delfix icon as well as the Panda Cloud cleaner icon have reappeared on my desktop

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Did as you asked and I'm still getting the message that I need administrator approval to move or save on my C:\. The Delfix icon as well as the Panda Cloud cleaner icon have reappeared on my desktop

Acknowledged and my apologies for the delay, I have contacted the developer of DelFix and he may be able too shed some light on this unfortunate situation...

In the mean time lets proceed as follows shall we...

Invoke a Registry Backup:
  • Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run...(Or launch the Run... box via depressing both the Windows key and R together)
  • Then copy/paste(via highlighting and pressing CTRL + C or after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy) the following command into the Run... box
C:\Windows\ERUNT\DelFix
  • Now click on OK
  • If a window opens named DelFix, proceed to the below. If not merely inform myself.
  • Within the aforementioned DelFix window locate ERDNT.exe >> Right-click on it and select Run as Administrator >> Yes >> OK
  • When the GUI(graphical user interface) ERD for Windows NT appears >> ensure the following settings are selected(they should be by default) if not select them.
Under Restoration options:-

System registry

Current user registry

Restoration mode:-

Auto

NT
  • Still within ERD for Windows NT >> click on OK >> a Restoring registry window will appear.
  • Upon completion and at the prompt click on Yes to reboot your machine.
Next:

Let myself know when completed the above and if the problem downloading has been resolved or not, thank you.

adam80

adam80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Did what you asked and when I rebooted, I tried a little test and moved a text file into a folder on my C: drive and got the message (again) that I needed "administrator permission to move the file." Also, blue and yellow shields have appeared on a few of my icons on my desktop (there are shields on my Winpatrol, MBAM, Delfix, and my Panda Cloud Cleaner icons).

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Also, blue and yellow shields have appeared on a few of my icons on my desktop (there are shields on my Winpatrol, MBAM, Delfix, and my Panda Cloud Cleaner icons).

This sounds quite normal to myself to be honest as the software in question does require Administrative Privileges to run. Please check for myself that when you double click on any of them(or right click and select run as administrator) are you being prompted with a User Account Control window or not ?

I tried a little test and moved a text file into a folder on my C: drive and got the message (again) that I needed "administrator permission to move the file."

I was under the impression the problem was downloading files as you mentioned prior(see below), what exactly were you attempting to move and to which specific folder on your main drive.

The original problem you mentioned is:-

One problem has come up. Since I ran the Delfix, I keep getting the message: "You don't have permission to save in this location" when I try to save. What should I do?

adam80

adam80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Yes, I am prompted with UAC, however, prior to using the Delfix I did not have UAC coming up at all when I clicked on these icons. Just to clarify, I'm discovering as I'm doing various tasks on my computer that now I have to have "administrative approval" to do simple things such as moving files from My Documents to folders I've made on my C:\. I didn't have to have administrative approval to do these simple things prior to using Delfix. I've never had to have adminstrator approval just move move mp3 files to different music folders. My question is, is this normal behavior for my computer?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

My question is, is this normal behavior for my computer?

To a certain extent yes it is and I suspect apart from the problem DelFix caused originally which has now been rectified via invoking the registry backup; your machine never had UAC enabled be it by design(yourself) and or malware disabled at some point for example.

It is a good safety feature to have enabled though and in your machines case it sounds like the most aggressive setting(Always notify ) is in place. How to check can be read:-

What are User Account Control settings?

The most ideal setting(the one I use myself) would be the default one...

So please check this out for me and if the need change the UAC settings to the aforementioned default and see if that is more to your liking and if any other issues remaining also, thank you.

adam80

adam80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

I had a look at the UAC settings and see what you mean. I have it set on default. I have no other problems to report. Thanks again for all of your help. Can I uninstall the Delfix and Panda Cloud Cleaner?

--Adam

Edited by adam80, 19 August 2014 - 09:02 PM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I had a look at the UAC settings and see what you mean. I have it set on default. I have no other problems to report. Thanks again for all of your help

Acknowledged and you're most welcome!

Can I uninstall the Delfix and Panda Cloud Cleaner?

Aye feel free to do so and afterwards carry out the below and you should be good to go.

Reset the System Restore points:

Create a new, clean System Restore point:-
  • Right click on Computer and select Properties >> System protection >> Create....
  • Give this restore point a descriptive name and click Create.
  • When the new restore point is created click on OK >> close the System Properties window.
Note: Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!

Flush Old System Restore points:-
  • Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> right-click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator.
  • Select the system drive, C >> OK.
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
  • Click on Clean up system files >> Select the system drive, C >> OK.
  • Now click on the More Options tab.
  • Under:-
System Restore and Shadow Copies
  • Click on Clean up... >> Delete >> OK >> Delete Files.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.