Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans not working in M18 laptop

• Please log in to reply

chaosfurian

chaosfurian

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey all.

I have currently been having issues with my Alienware m18 laptop fans, the fans start and spin for a few seconds on startup, then don't continue to run after that period of time.

When I update the bios, the fans run at full speed the entire update, which leads me to believe it's not the actual fans that are broken but may be the cpu itself.

specs are

motherboard  -  Alienware 18
cpu - Intel core i7 - 4800MQ overclocked to 3.6GHz
memory - DDR3 16gb 8 module
PSU - I don't know how to find this
Video Card - 2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M

Any help that can shed light on the situation is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Can you boot into your operating system? Is the computer crashing, BSOD, auto-reboot loop or can you use it normally?

Your problem is not your fans all failing at the same time (as you stated). The CPU has not failed or you would not be able to get video on your monitor or boot into anything at all. Check your user's manual carefully; most computer motherboards have an auto-control over the fan speeds depending on the temperature of the CPU or internal case. If the unit is cool, the fans spin down. When the unit heats up to a certain point the fans auto-spin up RPMs to keep the unit cool. That is what it sounds like to me.

chaosfurian

chaosfurian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The computer has no problems running, but it does get really hot while running games, and the fans still won't run, I have tried using HWinfo to run the fans manually but according to the alienware forums the fans cannot be adjusted manually in most of the alienware laptops*

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Ok....let's put some measurement numbers to this issue to give us some concrete information.

Go Here and download Open Hardware monitor utility (free download). This is a virtual utility (back in the day we used to call them TSRs, Terminate and Stay Resident), there is no need to install it. Click on it to launch, and leave it running diminished when you next play a game. When you think your computer is too hot, just open it and note the CPU core temperature, the CPU fan rpm's, and IF you have a separate video card note the GPU temperature and post these in your next reply (see my attached graphic).

Another suggestion is to invest in a powered laptop cooler. Here is one that I got for my daughter when her HP lap kept overheating and it worked great. I suggest that, if you mostly game at home with the lap, get a cooler that uses a 120volt wall adapter instead of a USB powered. Less strain on your power supply. But if you use the lap away from home a lot, a USB may be better. Also, make sure the vents on the laptop exhaust through the bottom, I am not sure about Alienware but most laps do have bottom vents. It's not a major outlay of money and can make a big difference.

Snap 2014-08-05 at 17.36.40.jpg

chaosfurian

chaosfurian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

http://imgur.com/ILb3fN8

When I run open hardware monitor it doesn't even display my fans.

I already own a cooler master laptop cooler but it doesn't help drastically

Sometimes even when I am watching a movie the temperature is well above 90 degrees Celsius

also while I was running the game (assassins creed black flag) I opened up the case of the laptop and the 3 fans wern't even spinning.

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

If you are hitting 90°+C and your cooling fans still are not spinning up, I suggest taking a screenshot of the Open Hardware scan and e-mailing it to Alienware tech. If your laptop is still under warranty they should take care of it, especially if the fans are not registering in Open Hardware, not even the CPU heatsink fan. Now at least you have evidence that something isn't right. Other than that, I think we have taken this as far as we are capable at this point.

Wish you the best; post back if there are any additional problems.

[EDIT]: Last minute thought.....check your user's manual carefully; possibly there is a BIOS setting that turns the fans off or somesuch. I would think that they would have checked that the last time you communicated with them, but it's worth a shot.

Edited by ranchhand3, 05 August 2014 - 09:15 PM.