Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spyware - Malware Problem (cannot remove window) [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

starscream997

starscream997

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi I'm a newbie here, this below is my problem, anyone care to help?

I tried everything...Norton/Housecall/Spybot/Ad-Aware/Hijckthis

This happens on My HP Laptop with 256Ram & Windows 2000, i know it's only and ad but i hate it ;)

any tips appreciated :tazz:

http://img.photobuck.../Sen997/s12.bmp

Edited by starscream997, 10 June 2005 - 10:44 AM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

OK, it's the Messenger Service. Is this a company computer or do you know if the administrators need to send any messages/alerts to this computer? I'm asking because what I'm about to ask you to do will disable all that.

Go to Start->Run and type in services.msc and hit OK. Now scroll down to Messenger Service and double click on it. Click Stop button and then under Startup type, choose Disabled.

That should fix it up. Did you have someone check your HijackThis log already? If not, you may post it in this topic also and I will take a look at it for you.

starscream997

starscream997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for the reply greyknight!,

This computer is a standalone pc, the only messages that have to be recieved are only through msn.....so i think it wouldn't be a problem to disable what you are telling me.

I will try as you have said, ussing the services.msc and see what happens....if i will have any logs for hijackthis, i will post them as well :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Just to make this more clear to you and others, this is not MSN Messenger. Microsoft has a bad way of naming things and thus for the confusion here. This is the Microsoft Messenger Service. It's a service that will allow network administrators (or hackers for the matter) to send messages to your computer. If exploited (as in your case), the attacker can send messages/popups to your screen.

So this is separate from MSN Messnger.

Do you still have any popups up? If not, we will close this topic.

starscream997

starscream997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i have to give you that answer by next monday, as my dad has taken the laptop with him on a business trip and will be home monday, is it a problem if we keep it open until i reply back??

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem at all :tazz:

I will wait for your reply before we close this. ;)

starscream997

starscream997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks mate, a true helper indeed! :tazz:

starscream997

starscream997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi greyknight, i have phoned my father this morning, connected the pc to the internet for almost an hour, without any of the message ever popping up again. I hope it's solved, will recieve further info in few hours if you can hang on a bit more :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That should have done it :tazz:

No problem, will await further update from you ;)

starscream997

starscream997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
great! the thing has not popped up yet, so i think it's settled!

Thank you one again greyknight! ;) :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.