Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numerous popups before I get to the site I wanted to go to. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi civiccrazy :)

Excellent! :thumbsup:
Couple of items to go and you'll be all good:

javaicon.gifJava

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java unless it's really needed.  
See this article.  

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
  I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java  unless you need it to run an important software or to play games online.

If you need it on the computer I would also recommend that you disable Java  in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. See How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Upgrading Java:

javaicon.gif   Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder.

• Run JavaRa.exe, then click on Remove Java Runtime.
  • Select the Java version you have from the drop down list, and then click on Run Uninstaller
  • Press Yes if it asks to uninstall the product.
  • Allow the uninstaller to remove the installed version.
  • When its finished, go back to JavaRa, and click Back
  • Click on Update Java Runtime and then select Download and install latest version.
  • Press Next
  • Press Java Manual Download.
  • A browser window will open with the Java download page.
  • Click the Windows offline link to download Java.
  • Run the installer.
  • Close JavaRa

Delfix by Xplode

I'd like to cleanup the tools before you go please.  This is so if you need assistance later, you can get fresh tools as they are updated often.  This will also clean up your System Restore so you have clean restore points and do not accidentally 'restore' junk ;)  In addition will also create a registry backup in case it is needed. 

• Download Delfix by Xplode from here
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore

delfix.JPG

• Click Run

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And you are good to go :D

A few tips to help your future travels ~

Windows Updates

It is critical to have both a firewall and an anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated, and to keep your operating system up to date make sure Windows Updates are kept current:
A major essential is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.
If they are not already or if you need to check:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start Orb. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want. Recommended setting: Install updates automatically

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Program Updates

Keep Installed Programs Up to Date

It's important to keep all other programs on your computer updated because they can also have security vulnerabilities exploited by the malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications to fix vulnerabilities, this can be done manually by using the Update feature included in most programs or you can use the following program to help you with this:

FileHippo Update Checker

CryptoLocker Warning

There is a particularly nasty infection out there at the moment.

Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware. Learning about what is out there may help prevent infection. The main thing with this infection here ~ is Backup. If you're using an external, keep it unplugged to the computer when you're not backing up files or using it. This will prevent the infection from getting to your backed up files if you ever do come across it.

We suggest users to Download CryptoPrevent free for home use. It will help prevent CryptoLocker.

When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select Custom installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

To that end, and just in case, because websites ~ even basic program updates like Adobe and Java have Add Ons you're not there to get, there is a tool that will help. :D
 It's called Unchecky. The link is ~> here<~  It will automatically uncheck boxes in most download windows.
 That is not to say you don't have to pay attention any more, it just gives you an edge ~ a start of not checked boxes in most cases so you do not automatically get junk you do not want.  To help make it a little easier.  Check the video at the site and see what you think.  I think it's pretty cool and thought it might help :)

Instructions there are easy for Unchecky:

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
click the very large Download button.
click Save
Click Open folder

Right click on the Unchecky_setupuncheckysetupicon.png or folder and choose to Run as Administrator

Once open click theInstall button.

uncheckysetupwindow.png

Then click on Finish

uncheckyfinishsetupwindow.png

Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked ;)

BACKUPS

Keep a backup of your important Files.-Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital Files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read How did I get infected in the first place? by Mr. Tony Cline and 
this article by Miekiemoes.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can then be closed.

I Will Keep This Open For 24 hours or so. If Anything Comes Up - Just Come Back And Let Me Know

Surf Safe :wave:

Advertisements

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Thank you very much!

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

Any time :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.