Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive burnt out?

• Please log in to reply

legendracer

legendracer

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi

I think my external hard drive has burnt itself out but I wanted to get some advice to see if there is anything I can do. When I change pc's I normally put the old drive drive in an external case encase I need data from it.

I plugged my device in and nothing loaded but there was a small smell of burning. Tried the hard drive in a couple of cases and it is not doing anything.

Is there any way to recover the date from this drive?

Thanks a lot

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi there.

There is one main option in the case of a burnt hard drive controller (which is sounds like)

Locate an identical hard drive and replace the motherboard of the drive. It is only a few screws and you are not actually opening the drive up so your data will be safe. It must be an absolutely identical drive as the boards and specifications regularly change.

The only other option would be professional data recovery services, who would charge a LOT and probably perform the first option anyway.

legendracer

legendracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I had seen a couple of bits in some google searching about motherboard changes but thought they were beyond me to be honest.

I'll have a search online and see what I can find, is there any good tutorials out there that can help a numpty like me do a motherboard change?

If it works it will certainly beat paying for a professional recovery service to get the data for me :)

Thanks for your help

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
I'll have a look when I am back in front of the computer(on phone now) but it really is just a few screws and the board pops off.
But like I mentioned before, most important is getting the exact model.

legendracer

legendracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I've found the model but unsure which of the two options will do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item461ba4695d

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a3e4988de

Fingers crossed one will work, just need to know which one will possible help?

Edited by legendracer, 06 August 2014 - 04:53 PM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Well one is revision A and one is revision B

Check which one your old one is and get the one that is the same.

It is possible that both will work but I would err on the side of caution and get the exact one.

pic2.JPG

I have marked where the revision is printed if you haven't noticed it.

legendracer

legendracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Hi Ruggie

As you can probably guess I had not spotted that A or B part so thanks for pointing that out. I'll get the exact same match ordered and reply on here when it arrives. Fingers crossed the data might not be toast.

Thanks for your help with this

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

No problem, hope it does the job. :D