Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad motherboard? How to tell?

• Please log in to reply

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Anything I can do at home to tell which component is bad? Does it sound like the motherboard? How can I test it?

HP Pavilion p7-1420t PC
Foxconn HP-Joshua-H-JOSHUA-H61-uATX
Intel Core i5-3330 3.0G 6M 77W CPU
6GB DDR3-1600 DIMM (4+2) RAM
Intel HD Graphics (Sandy Bridge)
Window 8.1 64-bit
purchased 12/12

My 12-yr old son reported that computer would not start while I was traveling last week. The computer is shut down every night. Last Wednesday, a black screen with blue HP logo was as far as it would get during startup. I looked at it today. The computer powers up and the hard drive spins for about 1 second with the yellow hard drive light illuminated then fading. No beeps. The fans continue to run. The wired keyboard does not seem to have power as no key lock lights illuminate. I tried all USB ports. I tried start up with the F2, F8 F12, delete and esc keys pressed independtly and together, anyway, with no effect. I also tried a wireless keyboard in all USB ports with no effect either. The keybords work when attached to a laptop. The HP logo comes up instantly as the computer is powered up but that is the extent of the startup. The monitor is a lenovo so its not the monitor screen. I have also pulled and reset the RAM and removed and replaced the BIOS battery. USB ports not hot. This computer has given us no problems other than being Win 8 OS...lol. It has never blue screened. I have Norton 360 which runs every 3 days because of the kids using it while I travel and I run Windows Defender once monthly. There is no recent history of viruses or any application or other downloads or any external/internal component additions recently. All significant software is up to date. Spent 2 hours with HP and got no help.

Thank you!

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Here's a free software that will test parts of your MB. I don't know what the paid version will do!

http://www.7byte.com/

PS You will have to be logged on to Windows to use this software!

Edited by donetao, 05 August 2014 - 12:27 PM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hello Blue :welcome:

It is possible that it is a motherboard problem, but based on what you describe I would first be looking at the hard drive.

Please start the PC and repeatedly press the F10 key to see if the bios loads. If it does, go to the menu option, Storage and see if the hard drive is detected.

If it will not load the bios, turn off the PC, then disconnect the hard drive. Next turn on and then try the F10.

Edit:

Motherboard testing software is of no use if the machine will not boot.

Edited by ruggie_uk, 05 August 2014 - 12:27 PM.

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Keyboard does not work. It works in other computers but when I hook it up and press caps lock the light does not illuminate. No effect of pressing F10 during start. If it was the HDD wouldn't it get further? It instantly shows hp logo but does nothing else. I get no beeps or anything.
Thanks

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

No, a failed hard drive can make a computer unbootable as when the bios tries to read it, it may freeze if it has failed.

I would try without the hard drive and see what happens.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Motherboard testing software is of no use if the machine will not boot.

I think I made that clear after I read the topic further. I just responded to the OP's mention of MB.

That was my bad, but I decided to leave the post and edited it!

PS You will have to be logged on to Windows to use this software!
Bad motherboard? How to tell?

This is the reason I made the reply! I will now get out of the way!

Edited by donetao, 05 August 2014 - 03:29 PM.

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Donetao, thanks. Figured that's what you meant.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Donetao, thanks. Figured that's what you meant.

If you want to test your HD, I recommend seatools dos. This is a ISO file that you burn to a disk and then set your boot order to boot from DVD/CD.

It's called a live CD and if your HD isn't completely toast, you should be able to boot with it.

If seatools says your HD is good, then you can look else where for problems.

http://www.seagate.c...ols-dos-master/

This is what seatools says! They are a good outfit! They also have software that you can install if you can boot into Windows. The dos is the one you want!

SeaTools for Windows

SeaTools for Windows tests SATA, USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE) and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe. If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, your troubleshooting can move to other areas.

Edited by donetao, 05 August 2014 - 07:10 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

HP has been going down hill with their products and support as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a good link that gives you some good recovery options. I'm not familiar with W8.

I hope this helps. There are lots of ways to recover, depending on what's causing your problem.

doneato!

http://h10025.www1.h...product=5297226

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hey Bluegrassdude, I am just checking to see if you are still with this thread before I launch into suggestions. Just FYI, the motherboard is the single most difficult component to diagnose, but there are ways to arrive at a conclusion. I just want to check to see if you are still interested in this thread. ;)

Advertisements

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey Bluegrassdude, I am just checking to see if you are still with this thread before I launch into suggestions. Just FYI, the motherboard is the single most difficult component to diagnose, but there are ways to arrive at a conclusion. I just want to check to see if you are still interested in this thread. ;)

Hi Ranchhand,
Yes, I am still looking for the steps to rule in or rule out each component. I am traveling and won't be back at home until Saturday but I need to figure this out so I can get it fixed or build a replacement.
Thanks,

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Ok.  The only way to arrive at a conclusion is by testing the involved components 1X1 via process of elimination. There is no single program that tests the complete motherboard.

An important clue is here:

No beeps. The fans continue to run.

I assume that the monitor is dark and unresponsive. I assume from your quote that there used to be a system beep when booting (correct me if I am wrong), and now there is none. However, the fans spin up and I assume that the power-on light on the motherboard ("mobo") is on (if your board has one-some don't). At this point, the boot signal from the power supply is not even reaching the BIOS; the "beep" that you usually hear indicates keyboard recognition and that comes from the BIOS long before the hard drive is recognized. Computers will not boot unless a keyboard is plugged in. That indicates a low-level hardware failure. A low-level failure can be caused by only one of four things: a failed CPU, a failed Motherboard, a corrupted or failed BIOS (extremely rare), or a failed Power Supply.

>First, establish if your computer is still under warranty or not. HP may have told you that already.

>Next, reset the BIOS. I know you removed the battery already, but I have to cover all the bases. In your users' manual you will find a jumper switch on the motherboard that you move from one side to the other, and that clears the CMOS entirely. Power down; unplug your computer from the wall socket; remove that battery; move the Clear CMOS jumper per your book instructions, usually from one set of pins to another, wait 10 seconds, then move back into original position. Replace the battery and try to boot. Now...if your board does not have a clear jumper, then skip that step. Just remove the battery with the power cord disconnected.

>While the case side is open, check the motherboard capacitors for failure. This is becoming a common problem as companies are buying cheaper capacitors and they fail regularly. Capacitors look like small, "Quaker Oats" round boxes set on-end. They are commonly silver color, but can be black, green or brown. The tops of these should be perfectly flat on top; if there are any that are bulging upward, and if there is "goo" on the tops, possibly running down the side, or even on the bottom, that capacitor has failed. Even if the cap to is bulging with no electrolyte seeping out it is bad.

There are many capacitors on a motherboard, some large and some small. Check them all. The easiest way to do this is disconnect the computer and lay it on its side with a bright light shining in, a flashlight is good. If you find any, you have found your problem.

Additional info link:   http://badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Note the pictures on the right hand side. If you find even only one on your mobo, you have found your problem. I have also attached a picture I took of one unit I recently worked on. Note the good caps on the left, and the bad caps covered with electrolyte on the right.
Bad-Caps2.jpg

>As Donetao already suggested above, run a check on your hard drive. I do not think this is the problem, but we must be thorough. A failed hard drive will not prevent the POST screen from appearing (POST=Power On Self Test). Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen, click "DOWNLOADS" tab, then "Seatools For DOS" and save the file.  Burn the ISO file to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. Hopefully your BIOS is set to CD=First Boot Device, since you cannot access your BIOS to change it. If it is not, this may not work. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. Then click the upper left corner of the screen for the short test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate. **I suspect that the DVD drive will not be recognized, so let me know what you find.

>The only way to check if a CPU has failed is to remove it and install it on a different computer that you know is running properly. Realistically, that will be difficult for you to do. As a reality check, it is extremely rare that a CPU fails. I have had only one fail on me in all the years I have been doing this.

>The only way to check a power supply is either to purchase a tester, they run between $20-$50 on average, or change out the power supply with another you know is good. Realistically, it appears that your power supply is enabling the fans to spin up. If you have a power-on light on the mobo itself and it is lit, that is another indication that the board is getting power. Here is a link to Newegg, the Rosewill tester on the top should do it. I am not suggesting that you do this, just giving you options.

>A virus will not prevent the POST screen from booting, although one could prevent Windows from loading. But that is not your problem. You are not getting keyboard recognition from the getgo. Without that you can't go anywhere.

Please check out the above, and get back to me. I would be very interested to see your results. Post back with any questions. Wish you good hunting!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Excuse the interjection folks;

Last Wednesday, a black screen with blue HP logo was as far as it would get during startup. I looked at it today. 

Branded computers such as Dell and HP have their splash screen integrated into the BIOS chip so there is a chance that the graphics solution has failed be it the integrated Intel graphics that the CPU has or an add on card if one is fitted, is there a chance that there is an add on video card fitted;

The HP Pavilion p7-1420t was/is available with the following video options;

Intel HD Integrated Graphics
GeForce GT 620 (1 GB)
GeForce GT 630 (2 GB)
Radeon HD 7350 (512 MB)
Radeon HD 7450 (1 GB)
Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB)

Have you tried the second DVI port that the MB has.

Regarding the no beep/s, if the MB does normally emit a single beep when POST has completed, try removing both sticks of Ram and then powering up the computer, if you get error beeps then it suggests that the MB and Ram may be ok and that the issue is after the BIOS has checked the Ram, the video is the next thing that is checked, a MB that normally beeps once when the POST has completed but does not beep when all Ram is removed suggests that the problem is before the Ram, this points towards either a bad PSU or MB (including bad memory slots).

As suggested remove both sticks of Ram and power up the computer to see if you get any error beeps.

The MB not having PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports does not help btw as POST can also be halted by keyboard error and this can happen if the USB ports have failed or somehow been disabled in the BIOS as in the keyboard will not be detected.

As an asides Bluegrassdude, can I just check that you do not have Norton and Windows Defender both running at the same time;

I have Norton 360 which runs every 3 days because of the kids using it while I travel and I run Windows Defender once monthly. 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Excuse the interjection folks;

You are always welcome Mr. Phill!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator