Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad motherboard? How to tell?

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

This is all a bit over my head, but have been following this topic.

This is what GTG forum is all about.

Great job fellow Geeks :yeah:

Good Night from Enid Oklahoma!!

Edited by donetao, 13 August 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello folks,

Having dealt with the customer care staff at Microsoft on more than one occasion regarding failed MBs and OEM product keys I can only report good things, I have found them to be understanding and informative, the steps suggested have included re-registering the product key with the new MB by way of a phone call/automated response message which by the way the very big machine that it is MS can check that the same product key is not still in use with the original MB  ;) 

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

So.....are you saying that the OP may persuade Microsoft to bypass their policy and allow him to use his OEM key?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Nope, the OP can contact MS and explain their circumstances, if their MB has failed and is out of warranty then it is far different than if they simply wished to swap in a MB so they could Crossfire or Sli GPUs, I suspect (but may be wrong) that MS has a policy that respects honesty but frowns upon dishonest acts such as reusing OEM product keys with upgraded MBs, the latter always comes to light when the user tries to update Windows but gets locked out and asked to contact customer care.

sukiblr

sukiblr

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello!

Here's a free software that will test parts of your MB. I don't know what the paid version will do!

http://www.7byte.com/

PS You will have to be logged on to Windows to use this software!

Definitely a mobo problem ...its foxconn :)

if you were budget conscious i would have recommended Z97 mobo from Biostar instead..

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of your help.  My son and I completed our build.  When we booted up, windows 8.1 was active.  Looks like I have to reactivate Windows Office but otherwise everything seems good. All data and programs seem present and functional.  Some things seem slow though compared to prior setup, especially startup and windows explorer.  Any ideas?  I bought Windows 7 Home premium thinking 8 wouldn't boot up and activate.  Should I hold on to it for a bit or RMA it? Its not open and I got it from Newegg.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Bluegrassdude

As you have made substantial hardware changes to your computer by replacing your MB you'll need to activate Windows by phone or you will at some point be prevented from updating the Windows and possible limited functionality of the OS, do it sooner rather than later as it shows that yours is a genuine request.

To start the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps;
  1. At the Start screen, swipe in from the right side, or hover your mouse in the upper-right corner of the screen to display the charms menu.
  2. Tap or click the Settings charm.
  3. Tap or click Change PC Settings.
  4. Tap or click Activate Windows.
  5. If your computer is not activated, PC Settings provides instructions that are customized to your activation error. If telephone support can provide help resolve your error, tap or click the appropriate link, that may resemble one of the following:
    • Activate
    • Activate by phone
    • Contact customer support for help

2914686.jpg

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hello BGDude, I'm glad to hear that you are up & running!  Did you install the new motherboard drivers off he disk that came with the board?

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I activated Windows by phone and it went ok.  I have not installed the motherboard drivers. Should I create a restore point? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

It would do no harm to create a new restore point as it is always advised before making any software changes, the fact that the MB drivers should have already been installed is irrelevant now  :D

Good call on activating Windows btw  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

You definitely need to install those motherboard drivers or your unit will never run up to speed and you will have other problems, including possibly not being able to access the internet if you are using integrated NIC.