Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU entering 3D mode during 2D tasks and stuttering. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

My GPU (Sapphire 270X) has begun to enter 3D mode and raise it's clock speed while performing 2D tasks like watching a flash video or maximizing an explorer window. Just dragging the mouse cursor on the desktop is enough to get it to raise it's clock from 450MHz to 1150MHz. Once it hits about 15% load at 450MHz it overclocks to 1150Mhz. It also makes the audio stutter when scrolling on a page, for example if I'm watching Youtube and scroll down to read the comments, it will stutter and skip.

So far I have tried disabling Aero, disabling hardware acceleration, restoring stock clocks and reinstalling my drivers. None of it has affected the behavior. Clock speeds and voltage are stable in stress tests indicating the card is in good health. 

I've not made any software changes or added any new hardware recently. 

Edit: With hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome the clock speed locks at 1120MHz and 1.157V.

I have no explanation for this. 

Edited by averysadman, 05 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Fixed it.

Turns out Sapphire Trixx wasn't playing nice with CCC, a complete wipe of both the drivers and Trixx, then a reinstall solved the issue. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the solution  :thumbsup:

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It's happening again and this time I can't fix it.

I've tried:

-Removing all AMD software in safe mode using the AMD cleanup utility.

-Tried 14.4, 14.9 and 14.11b drivers respectively.

-Tried different versions of CCC with different drivers (for example 14.4's CCC with the 14.9 drivers) 

-Removed Trixx using Revo and tried two versions of it.

-Reset CCC to factory defaults.

-Disabled all overclocking.

Even when both CCC and Trixx are completely uninstalled and the GPU is running on just the driver it happens. 

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It was a registry error involving CCC, the solution was to remove just CCC using the catalyst install manager by going to Uninstall, then selecting Custom, then cleaning the registry using CCleaner. Then after rebooting and reinstalling, the problem was solved.

Edit: Nope it's back after reboot. It's definitely something to do with CCC, I just can't figure out what. 

Edited by averysadman, 22 November 2014 - 10:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
It was a registry error involving CCC, the solution was to remove just CCC using the catalyst install manager by going to Uninstall, then selecting Custom, then cleaning the registry using CCleaner. 

No disrespect intended but unless you are an advanced user you should avoid anything that involves the registry.

Post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) and the PSU

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Yeah it was a last resort lol, all I did was purge all registry values related to CCC.

I have already uninstalled all AMD software and related files in safe mode using AMD's cleaning tool about 3 times now, once after each driver I tested, if it got everything I can't say, but it certainly seemed like it.

I know it's not the Motherboard or PSU as I have changed both since the problem occured the firts time (and was resolved).

-GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 4
-Corsair vengeance 16gb

Now that you mention it, it could be the PSU, although I can't imagine how thst might happen. My new CX600M had a fan problem and is currently in RMA, I put my old Antec EarthWatts 520C in temporarily.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Could that be Antec NeoECO 520C

Is your Ram 2 X 8GB or 4 X 4GB sticks.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

4x4GB

How might the PSU interfere with software though? I can't think what else it might be, and it certainly seems to correlate, but I don't understand how that would happen, as it has no software. It doesn't have Corsair Link or anything like that, it's pretty basic.

If that's the case, it will be fairly easy to test as my replacement CX600M should arrive in a few days. 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

If there is a fault on the PSU causing momentary drops in voltage, that can quite easily cause software and many other problems as it will likely interfere with either RAM, CPU, or even reading of the hard drive depending on which of PSU output voltages is affected.

Nev.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

You were correct, it was the power supply. After replacing the old one with my RMA'd CX600M it's behaving correctly.

Well I've learned something interesting. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Interesting but not unexpected  :P

Levity apart, glad to hear that all is now well and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: