Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best hard drive for the money? SSHD or SDD?

• Please log in to reply

Opal123

Opal123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi :) Please pardon the length.

I want to upgrade my current laptop to one of the Lenovo yoga series. I don’t really know much about laptops and the technologies, but since I have a budget of $1,100 (including taxes) to spend on a new laptop I want to get the best for my money’s worth. I would really appreciate any help I can get,

I have done several researches and these are my laptop specifications:

1. Should be a convertible, not detachable (that’s why I’m strongly leaning towards the yoga series)
  2. Should not weigh more than 4 pounds (I need something as light as possible to carry around campus)
  3. Windows 8.1
  4. Backlit keyboard and touchscreen
  5. Display between 13”-15”
  6. At least Intel Core i5
  7. Internal memory of at least 4GB
  8. Hard drive of at least 500GB

I’m really confused about what the memory and hard drive mean for the laptop’s overall function. At the Lenovo website, here are my choices:

Yoga 2 13(MultiTouch) - 59402628 - Clementine Orange ($923.12 without tax)

4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200U Processor (1.60GHz 1600MHz 3MB)

4.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

500 GB SSHD + 16 GB SSD

Intel 7260 b/g/n Wireless (2x2 BGN)

Yoga 2 13(MultiTouch) - 59408079 – Black ($999.00 without tax)

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4500U Processor (1.80GHz 1600MHz 4MB)

8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz

500 GB SSHD + 16 GB SSD

Intel 7260 b/g/n Wireless (2x2 BGN)

Yoga 2 Pro - 59394171 - Clementine Orange ($989.00 without tax)

4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200U Processor (1.60GHz 1600MHz 3MB)

8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

256GB SSD

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 (802.11bgn)

My laptop is going to be primarily for school purposes. I will mostly be using word, PowerPoint and excel. I will also have large pdf files and one or two programs for drawing chemical structures.  I’m not a gamer, but I could install one or two minor games. I will have a lot of songs and pictures, some videos, and stream live movies. That’s pretty much what I’m going to use it for. Essentially, I need something with enough memory capacity to hold all my stuff. My current laptop is an i3 with 500GB HDD. I’ve used it for almost 4years and with all my videos and programs stored; I still have 63.8GB left. So, I believe 500GB should do it for me. However, I don’t know much about the difference between SSHD and SSD. I do know that SSD’s are faster and better but I don’t know if 256GB would be enough. I don’t want to use any external storage drives. The Yoga 2 13(MultiTouch) - 59408079 – Black ($999.00 without taxes) seems like a very good deal with the i7 and all, but it is an older model and I don’t like the black color and it only comes in that color. With taxes, I should be paying about $1,056 which makes me want to go for the more recent and upgraded Yoga 2 Pro. However, the yoga 2 pro is an i5 with 256GB SSD.

My 3rd option is the Yoga 2 13(MultiTouch) - 59402628 - Clementine Orange ($923.12 without tax). With taxes, it should be about $980 which is much cheaper. It has the perfect color and the perfect Hard drive storage capacity, but the internal memory is 4GB and it is an i5.

I don’t know if the internal memory and the Intel core would make much of a difference for what I want to do with the laptop. Also, is 256GB SSD enough for a college student?

I am so sorry for the length, but I really need to purchase this before I go back to school in a few days. I would really appreciate any advice as well as suggestions for any other laptops that match my specifications besides the Lenovo yoga series. Thank you in advance J

Edited by Opal123, 07 August 2014 - 04:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:     Opal123

A couple of points of note from your OP;

My laptop is going to be primarily for school purposes. I will mostly be using word, PowerPoint and excel. I will also have large pdf files and one or two programs for drawing chemical structures. 

I’m not a gamer, but I could install one or two minor games. I will have a lot of songs and pictures, some videos, and stream live movies

For your intended use I would suggest a notebook that has an independent graphics solution, 8GB of Ram and a HDD of 500GB or more, to compliment this an external USB 1TB HDD should be considered so that all important data can be backed up, such a notebook here