Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't boot in normal mode; inconsistent drive space [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes skip the print driver install

As for the disabled items on start initially just re-enable the one that applies to the audio, the remainder should be inconsequential

I understand about SP2 :)

Try the print spooler fix and just re-enable audio and let me know how it goes

Advertisements

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It took an extremely long time for my system to boot; it spent a long enough while on a totally blank screen (as in, screen was off entirely) and then on a black coloured screen (display was on, but all black) that I thought for certain it wouldn't boot at all. The Spooler Subsystem App error did in fact appear again, so isn't fixed. Enabling Audio Service fixed the button but my volume controls still don't work. I'm responding right now from my tablet, as it's still going slowly and the start menu came up super glitched. Is there a chance the uxteme.dll got damaged somehow?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Not to the extent that it would cause that

Could you system restore to the point created by combofix please

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

We may have a really big problem, here...

"No restore points have been created on your computer's system disk. To create a restore poit open System Protection."

Could the disabled "Recovery System for Windows" service in startup be related to this? I used to have several restore points, and as you mentioned Combofix claimed it created one, too.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No, as system restore is a windows service

From safe mode could you go to Start >All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command prompt and select run as administrator
In the black box that opens type the following command and press enter :

sfc /scannow

Once it has completed then reboot and let me know how that goes

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It stopped at verification 59% complete, then said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"... Should I try again?

ETA: I tried again, and got the same result. I also sadly suspect that, without my permission or knowledge, defraggler destroyed my older restore points (I googled and discovered that can happen... and that defraggler can mess with shadow copies, whatever those are). No clue why Combofix's point didn't save though.

Edited by devilbear, 09 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No I can see no reason why that was not saved..  The sfc not completing is a cause for concern  

Could you follow the steps on this page http://www.vistax64....isk-chkdsk.html to run a chkdsk

But prior to that (in case it is a HDD problem) have you backed up all your data, if not do so now

Then if the worse comes to the worse we can reset the laptop

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I've backed up some things, but not all. Sadly, I don't have the necessary resources to back up everything... My dvd drive quit burning sometime last year, and no matter how many different files or discs I tried, it would crash the whole system and corrupt the disc after about 75%. :( I'll get what I can onto a flash drive, but... Is there any way to back up the internal settings of Vista, so that in the worst case I won't have to deal with all the annoyances I've discovered and changed settings for over the past seven years?

Also, I noticed that site is called Vista x 64. This will still work on my 32-bit Vista, though, right? Which method should I try?

Also, is it possible that running defraggler again and letting it complete could fix the issues? (I won't unless it could help.) Just wondering if the few partially completed then stopped defrags might have left things in the wrong sections or something.

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I just had another thought... could something in the installation of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines have possibly messed up the registry in a way that uninstalling it might fix?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For chkdsk 32 or 64 bit makes no difference :)

Running chkdsk should cure any errors that defraggler left.

Uninstalling Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines will probably have no affect on the standard setting.

I believe there is a way to retain setting but I will need to check it out

Advertisements

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Here's hoping! It'll be a while, since I need to finish backing up the rest of the files I can squeeze onto a flash drive and it's a slow process, then of course running chkdsk. I'll report back with how it went when it's done.

Also, thanks for your patience and assisstance. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's a case of the hard drive drive or system finally deciding it'd had enough. It's been less than perfect for about three years, now.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Still no harm in trying to get it to last that bit longer :)

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I walked away while it was finishing up, but the chkdsk did fix two files I saw listed: the spooler service, which is no longer giving an error, and an .mp3 file. That said, my custom shell theme is still botched in that I cannot actually get it to take effect. I'm guessing I will have to repatch uxtheme.dll after all...? I actually found in the process of attempting to re-find the automated patcher for Vista, that sfc /scannow does, in fact, restore the patched .dll files to their original state. So that would be the culprit, and I wonder if it's also why the process failed halfway through.

I'm also still experiencing some lag, though much more livable. I didn't see how the restart went after chkdsk so I rebooted it again and it took a while to reach the welcome screen but after that it started up fairly smoothly-- far better than before, that's for certain. But my processor is seeing excessie, heavy load and it says my battery is at 0% even though I have been running on nothing but outlet power for the past several hours. And file extensions and hidden files are visible even though they weren't supposed to be originally. That's something which happened with safe mode and seems to have carreid over the whole time.

I'll be heading out for a while shortly, so I don't really have time to see yet if the network disconnect issue has returned (so far it hasn't, but it's only been 11 minutes). I'll probably be able to check that out tonight or tomorrow morning... if I'm lucky enough that it will start again later, that is.  Ended up spending what has so far amounted to an hour here, as I have been searching for how to patch the uxtheme again. The internet hasn't glitched out like it did the other night, yet.

Edited by devilbear, 09 August 2014 - 05:44 PM.

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Actually, I spoke too soon about smoothness. I just tried to double check that Windows Defender was enabled because it crossed my mind, and I got the following error:

2hhVsmv.jpg

I tried googling the issue, but what I found was that McAfee won't allow Windows Defender to run alongside it. I don't have McAfee on my system, though I think it shipped with it... but that's been uninstalled for a very long time.

I typed services in my search bar, opened the services list, and right click > start on Windows Defender, and it opened without issue. But I obviously don't want to have to do that every time I start my system to get protection. I noticed the service is listed as manual start... Could that be related, or is that what it's supposed to be started as, yet the system should have manually started it?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It should be to autostart so reset it to that

Download and run the following small tool to totally remove McAfee http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe
McAfee never uninstall properly from control panel

With regards to the Uxtheme what programme did you use to patch it ?