Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't boot in normal mode; inconsistent drive space [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Set Windows Defender to automatic startup, and rebooted. It seems to theoretically be active at bootup, but it never showed a system tray icon. To get that, I had to manually open Defender... but it did actually start this time, rather than giving an error about the service.

When I attempted to run the MCPR.exe file, it took me through a screen to agree to the terms of use, had me input a captcha... then showed this error after it started to run:

m9eUN3x.jpg

As for the uxtheme patching, I honestly can't remember. I believe it was something automated, that was around back in 2007 or 2008, when I got this computer. I found it when researching prior to moving from XP to Vista, and had downloaded and saved it on my old laptop for transfer to this one, as I'd had no issues with the uxtheme patching of my XP laptop. Basically it was the first thing I did when I unboxed this laptop, and after I installed my desired theme, I never touched it again. I think it was a patcher specifically for Vista with SP1, but aside from that I don't remember. I could go try to find the old disc with the files on it, but I'm not overly hopeful it still exists.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
This one :)http://www.winmatrix...dows-vista-sp1/

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Ooh, thanks! Out of curiosity, my laptop has the "AMD 64" sticker on it, but it's a 32-bit version of Windows. Am I correct in assuming that I should NOT use the "_AMD64" version of the files, as that's meant for the version of Windows rather than literally the version of the processor?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is correct as you have a 32bit then only use that version

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

A post in the thread you linked answered my question; I really should have read it before asking, sorry. But that means I've got my custom theme back, without issue. Thanks!

As for where my system stands, what I've got so far is: Re-enabling the HP QuickPlay services on startup haven't fixed the volume controls (which are on the QuickPlay bar above the keyboard, so I thought for sure that'd work), nor has re-enabling Validity Sensors and DigitalPersona in startup made it so my fingerprint reader will work again. I try manually starting it, and it says I have to log off and back on to windows. Doing so will fix it for the session, but each time after a reboot it encounters the same issue. My battery is also still stuck at 0% "and charging" even though I've turned the computer off, removed the adapter and battery, and held the power button down for a full minute, then replaced the battery. It should have easily been at 7% to 20% by now, and just simply doesn't seem to be charging at all.

My mouse's software is also failing to initiate at startup, making some of the button functions not work. I checked the startup services, but the only Logitech service listed was "Logitech Bluetooth" and my mouse is a wireless mouse with a unifying receiver, not a bluetooth device. I can't seem to find anything listed that seems ambiguously "this is your mouse driver" to me.

I had to manually change the settings back to "hide extensions for known file types," but have temporarily allowed hidden files to remain visible.

Edited to Add: Here's the startup services options, in case it helps

su8ueF8.png

euSqRVy.png

Edited by devilbear, 10 August 2014 - 05:39 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Enable the following and reboot :

agere modem
com4qlbex

Then let me know how it is behaving

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I actually misclicked 'services' and ended up on 'startup' -- and saw that even though the services are set, some of the startup items which correspond aren't. I didn't touch them for now, as I don't want to get ahead of what we're doing and/or mess anything up, but here's what I've got for startup processes:

2COKDy9.png

ORjKNMG.png

Unfortunately, enabling the two services you mentioned caused no change. (I think, but am not certain, that the Agere modem may be related to the built-in dialup port which was fried by lightning a few years ago. Thankfully, I've long since upgraded to a wireless connection.)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

So you no longer use AVG is that correct ? If you do use it then re-enable the startup

Also enable :

Digitalpersona

HPwireless assistant

Disable the Modem if it was fried :)

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I usually have it running, but it hasn't been updated in ages because I discovered Windows Defender and have read some reviews that AVG isn't as good as it used to be. So I imagine, with the definitions as outdated (by years) as they are, it was as good as AVG not running anyway. I'm actually not entirely sure if Windows Defender is adequate on its own, though...?

I didn't notice the usual popup from the HP Wireless Assistant, but my wireless is working anyway so I'd hazard a guess that in the long run that doesn't matter very much. My fingerprint reader's software is now initializing at startup, though, so that's great. Still no progress with the volume controls or battery, sadly.

Out of curiosity, did any of the logs show an indication of what may have caused this issue in the first place? I mean, I'm guessing Defraggler was responsible for breaking my ability to go into normal boot; I never tried to reboot into normal mode before running it, so it may not have been broken then. My network isn't totally disconnecting like it had been, but I can't really fathom a video game (VTM Bloodlines) being the cause of something like that. Nor can I understand where all the eventlog errors that caused concern when this started came from, either. (I forgot most of them, but there were some concerning things like Windows Firewall blocking connections and not being able to alert me.) Unless bugging out is just a thing that happens to old computers before they finally bite the dust, I guess.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In that case you may as well uninstall AVG as all it is doing is taking up resources

The only malware I found was that attached to AIM otherwise anything else was just inactive

As for Defender it is only an anti-malware programme, the one that is the antivirus is MSES http://windows.micro...ntials-download

I think your battery has gone to that big battery place in the sky and is no more, it has shuffled off this mortal coil

Over time you will get a lot of event log errors but to be honest most of them are pointless. I currently have 18,000 on my system and the install is less than 6 months old

Are you still getting the slow log on ?

Did you defragment the drive after running chkdsk (the windows defrag is good enough)

Advertisements

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Is there a special process required to uninstall AVG? I've read about some antivirus programs being problematic to uninstall, but don't remember if it was one.

Should MSES be installed and run alongside Windows Defender, or should Defender be disabled when MSES is active?

This is the second battery I've gone through with this system, but it outlived the warranty by a year so I'm not that surprised. It's a shame it won't stop trying to charge it, though, since it's passed on to the battery place in the sky, as you said. (Love that wording, btw!)

The only reason I found the eventlog errors of concern was that they'd directly preceeded the weird disconnect issues, but since I can't remember what they were and googling them led nowhere, maybe they were just coincidental.

The slow logon has disappeared, yes. I noticed some input lag after enabling HP Wireless Assistant, but I've always had some menial startup lag and that fits within the parameters of what I was used to. Basically, minus some newfound quirks that I'm certain can be fixed if I can pinpoint what to add back to startup for my volume controls and mouse driver (there's two entries for Logitech Setpoint, and I'm not sure which one to enable), my system is thankfully back up and running in a suitable condition.

I haven't thought to attempt to defrag the drive again, since I'm a little worried it may really be on its way out and I'd hate to have to repeat this process all over again. xD Interestingly, my built in Windows defrag has never appeared to function properly; it would get hung, if i recall coreectly, though it's been so long I'm not completely certain.

Edited by devilbear, 10 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The AVG removal tool is here and should be used after a normal uninstall http://www.majorgeek...vg_remover.html

With regards to the mouse as it is wired it should use windows default drivers
Have you checked the settings within control panel ?

Also check within there for you sound control settings

MSES is a replacement for Defender and should disable it

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

My mouse is actually wireless, sorry if I accidentally typed 'wired', as I've been on my tablet for some of these posts and autocorrect is my mortal enemy. It does run with basic functionality right now, but needs the Logitech Setpoint software to enable custom middle button functions which I use for scrolling and browser shortcuts. It's basically my one annoyance with Logitech mice: you can't have full button functionality without their software. Though, thankfully, I've never had issues with the software making things lag.

As a point of interest, I saw on the Microsoft-provided info that Security Essentials actually updates daily, and after doing some googling I found that it does so with no regard for your Windows Updates settings, and has been known on some machines to max out the CPU and drain bandwidth-- the latter being a very big deal to me, as I'm stuck on rural broadband with well under 1MB/s download speeds. (Rare is the day I can even properly view YouTube in anything higher than 240p, so yeah.) Is there another antivirus, preferably free, which allows complete control over when the updates are downloaded... and also, of course, performs well?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm moot point... Antivirus, well the one I use updates somewhere in the region of 100 times a day ....... But, each update is 1 or 2 Kb though :)

Capture.JPG
It will also give larger updates up to three times a day, although just normally one of about 1Mb or less

The general concensus is that it is very light on the system and is rarely noticed

It will need to be set up properly during the install to get the basics as some of the extras you will not need, but, I can assist with that.

The other one is Avira but that is a bit heavier and only updates once a day as far as I am aware

Can you remember what the model of mouse you have as I may be able to find the software for it

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

It's the Logitech M525, but I actually have the software installed. I can manually start it, no problem. I'm just... totally clueless as to which startup entry to enable so it's automatically there. Both are called Logitech Setpoint, but one's location is listed as a registry value, and the other's listed as being in /Programs/Startup.

As for the antivirus, I've looked into all three mentioned so far and I'm still very wary about forced automatic definition updates. My internet is super, super finicky and slow, and I honestly would prefer to be able to manually pop it open and update when I know I can spare the bandwidth... especially on this computer, as it's clearly showing signs of not being in the best condition, anymore. I almost wonder if Windows Defender is enough, perhaps with re-enabling the version of AVG I have since that was always in the background as well. Between NoScript and those two, as well as infrequent scans with MBAM, I've really not had major issues. Just whatever was attached to AIM that we just found, and a Google Redirect that I picked up before using NoScript with Firefox. Obviously, I'll need to live with it and have something (probably MSE) on my new computer, but I can only imagine it'll have the power to accommodate stalls in internet traffic and whatnot without borderline crashing, as this one does.