Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Radeon 9200 SE shows 0x

• Please log in to reply

mrwonka

mrwonka

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a:

A7n8x-E mobo
Radeon 9200SE gfx card

In Windows XP display properties the gfx card shows 0x for the bandwidth multiplier. I can manually adjust it to 2x, 4x and 8x, but when I reboot to
"apply changes" it goes back to 0x. I know this is causing my WOW game
to run slower. I have downloaded the latest drivers for my card. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
check a couple things please.
go to device manager, see if there are any problems (red X, yellow !) by anything. especially look under system, at the AGP.

then go into BIOS, (reboot PC, press whatever key it tells you to enter bios), and check what the AGP settings are in there. something may be set incorrectly, causing the slowdown.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My Device Manager looks good.

I checked my BIOS and here are the settings:

AGP Freq = AUTO (can be set from 50-100MHz)

AGP VDDQ = 1.5V (can be set from 1.5 to 1.7V)

AGP 8x = Enabled

AGP Fast Write = Enabled

Graphics Aperature Size = 64MB (can be set up to 512MB)

The 8x and Fast Write are enabled, but I am not sure if the other settings are correct or if they even matter.

Any other ideas, I hope?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
your BIOS settings look good. normally I would suggest playing around with the AGP speed- take it to 4x, and turn the fast write off. but the problem seems to be from something else.
is this a new card, or have you had it for a while and this just started happening recently?
if the card has a fan on it, make sure its running, the heatsink isnt clogged with dust, etc.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I checked the card and everything looks good. I have had the card for about 7mos, but just noticed the setting recently because I bought WOW and it seemed like my computer was working way too hard, that's when I noticed the settings.

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000460uuu.JPG

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Disregard that photo, didn't turn out right.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
have you installed the latest version of directX, 9.0C?
yes, WoW, I just got hooked into it...doomed...

according to blizzard, your card should be supported.

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Is there a chipset or agp driver you can install with the driver cd that should have come with your motherboard? I've had to install the agp driver for a couple of the mobo's i've had before.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I ran dxdiag.exe and it said that I had DirectX 9.0c. While there I ran through the tabs and the display tab said that AGP Texture Acceleration was not available.

Running ASUS PC Probe revealed that the AGP is currently set to 3.3V, which translates into 0x. Note: my card only supports 4x/8x.

My ASUS cd has drivers for Serial ATA, USB 2.0 and a NVIDIA nForce Sound.
On the website there is a: NVIDIA Display Driver version 41.13 for Windows 2000/XP. However, I am confused. I know the board has a lot of NVIDIA sound components, but do I need this display driver even though my card is ATI?

I am leaning towards a possible mobo malfunction or card malfunction at this point.

I also updated my BIOS to the newest one, obviously it didn't help.

Just curious what lvl/race are you?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi mrwonka-
looks like your motherboard has an nvidia chipset, which controls the AGP among other things. there should be a driver for the display, it may be part of a driver package. the link you included isnt working for me, but if its the display driver for win2k/xp, that would be the one.

I just started my real character firday night, am now a level 16 tauren druid. was a little busy on it this weekend...sorry for not getting back to you sooner!
you?

Advertisements

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No problem. Before I installed the Nvidia driver I decided to download and run 3DMark03. I didn't run any tests with it, but when I viewed the "details about my computer" it said that my Radeon card was plugged into PCI slot 3! To confirm this I went to device manager and it said the same thing there. This had me freaked out, so I popped open my computer. My card IS in the AGP slot.

Have you heard of anything like this? My OS is apparently seeing the card as a PCI instead of AGP, which would make a lot of sense why my card could never FastWrite of show an AGP multiplier above 0x.

Any ideas?

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Oh, I am a lvl 40 Human Warlock, just picked up my free horse yesterday. That game is addicting.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah, alliance...Im sorry, I cant help you! j/k :tazz:
that game is totally addicting. its trashed my sleep schedule, kept me from doing my dishes etc. oh but its fun!

the agp is connected to the PCI bus through a bridge basically, so I wouldnt worry about that. I will double check that on my machines when I get home (at work right now, onboard video-yuck).

Im still thinking display driver from asus for your mobo. after that, can you try that card out in another machine? maybe a friend can let you test it out in their machine.
that voltage # is high, for a 4x/8x card, hopefully it hasnt damaged the card by over juicing it for so long.

if the display driver doenst work, I am starting to think its a bad card or agp slot, but cant say for sure yet.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I ran the setup on the Nvidia driver that I downloaded from ASUS. It installed a little to quickly, which makes me think that I already had it installed. It didn't do anything, except I don't have a tab in the ATI property settings for adjusting the AGP values like I did before.

I wanted to do a complete re-install as a last ditch effort. So, I uninstalled the card from device manager, but as soon as it rebooted it found the card again. Do you know how to get rid of EVERY video driver in order to start fresh? I haven't yet put it in a friends computer. I'll try that soon.

I just noticed, you got 16 lvls in 2 days!? Impressive, you must have really not slept.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
try drivercleaner. its supposed to be great for cleaning out all those pesky references for video cards.

yeah, I didnt sleep much that weekend- in fact, not at all friday night, after working all day....this is my first character, so I was kinda proud of getting that far. just hit lvl 20 last night, many new powers! and its going into the weekend, so I got some serious playing ahead of me!
I have become such a gamer geek... :tazz:

but im still not as bad as my friends tha got me into this game...they started new characters to run around with me...one guy got to level 15 in about 8 hours.