Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

most programs have stopped working

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i believe this is a unique problem, but if it is not please direct me to a post with a similar problem

tha majority of my programs will begin starting, stall, then stop responding and the computer will freeze seconds later... i dont have games on this computer, jus programs... these include:

AOL Instant Messenger
Cool Edit Pro
Windows Media Player
Internet Explorer (well, every explorer)

I have not attempted to open every program i have, but those were tested and caused the computer to freeze.. however some programs do work.. these include:

Visual C++
Paint Shop Pro

the only connection i've seemed to have found were that the programs that don't work use sound, and the ones that do work do not.. however windows' sounds still work (you kno, such as error sounds) and the default sound recorder works fine...

the source of the problem has absolutely got to be this webcam.. Logitech QuickCam which i jus installed yesterday, however the software installation didnt go as well as the hardware.. during the installation process I could never get the installation to work from autorun so i did it from the cd.. computer froze so i restarted and tried jus the hardware, then jus the software. the software installation crashed mid-installation, but when i finally got my computer to turn bak on this morning, the program was installed, or so i thought. i opened it, it asked for audio properties and i set it up to use my monstersound II (yes, my computer's relatively old.. like.. 2001 i think) and i believe that may have a connection

there was no uninstallation program and it was not in the add/remove programs list, so i just deleted it and all of its registration entries manually, which took a while..

however, i'm not sure how directly that ties to the problem.. the problem started yesterday after the installation had crashed and i restarted my computer.. i had given up by then, and was jus gonna go on aim and test out the video chat stuff and then aim wouldnt open and the computer crashed

so as of now, i blame the cam. its unhooked from the usb, removed from the hardware devices, and all of its software is unistalled.. what could be the problem?

p.s. i had to download 2 dll files and 1 drv file yesterday which are commonly missing for webcam installations

any help is extremely appreciated.. i have too many of my animations and music on this computer to lose any of it :(

Win98SE, Pentium II, 224MB RAM

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can do this to eliminate a few things

Run Panda Scan

Run disk defragmenter

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools, run system file checker and replace any files it shows as missing or corrupt.

Reboot the PC then keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when this says the registry has been repaired, press enter, then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

Get Tune Up Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which will take a while and requires a reboot

Run Tune Up, optimize, system optimizer to run optimize computer configuration, which needs a reboot.

Run Tune Up, optimize, system optimize to run internet optimization, which needs a reboot.

Run Tune Up, optimize, system optimizer to run system advisor.

These steps will place the file system in order, replace corrupt or missing files, replace the registry structure, remove obsolete registry entries and clear the system of software errors.