Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning Smell (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Earthless94

Earthless94

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

So I hopped on my computer earlier today only to notice burning rubber smell coming from it, turned it off for a few hours but the smell still lingers any ideas on what may be causing it?

its a custom built computer thats no more than sixmonths old.

its pretty abboying i can't run anything without it lagging a bit

Edited by Earthless94, 09 August 2014 - 11:26 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Earthless94

The most important thing to address is the burning smell, the lag we can come back to once it is safe to do so.

Disconnect the computer from the wall socket first of all and then have a smell of the PSU area at the rear of the case, is the smell stronger there.

The computer is custom built, did you build it, this to establish if you are comfortable with working inside the computer.

Please provide the brand and model name or number for the PSU, any add on cards such as the GPU etc + the amount HDDs/optical drives and number of memory sticks.

Earthless94

Earthless94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I did build it but i can't say i'm to comfortable messing around with since it was my first time, but i'm willing to try

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker....u-fd6300wmhkbox) | $109.99 @ TigerDirect 
**Motherboard** | [ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker....ard-960gmu3s3fx) | $53.99 @ Newegg 
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker....ive-st1000dm003) | $59.98 @ OutletPC 
**Video Card** | [Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card](http://pcpartpicker....-gtx650tioc2gd5) | $134.99 @ Microcenter 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker....r-supply-cx600m) | $49.99 @ Newegg 
 | | **Total**
 | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $471.93
 | Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-17 14:30 EST-0500 |

i'l come back later on afterwork and let you know where the smell is the strongest

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

The PSU is a good quality brand with adequate output + you are not a computer novice which is what I was wanting to confirm.

In addition to the sniff test, with the computer disconnected from the wall socket take off the side of the case and check for any melted cable insulation, the MB for any bad capacitors or melted/scorched memory or other slots etc, that all cooling fans turn freely/have nothing trapping them and all power connections/connectors from the PSU.

Earthless94

Earthless94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Well as far as i can tell nothing seems melted/scorched as for the fans they all seem to be moving fine, I just cleaned out the fans with some compressed air to remove any dust that might have been in there.

As for the smell nothing really seems to be omitting a strong odor now since i left the windows open everything seems to be fine

dunno if this is helpful but the smell started happening when I was playing a game of league, and had tera open idly in the bg, and spotify playing

Edited by Earthless94, 10 August 2014 - 07:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Difficult to advise when all of your checks look good, do the main power cord and wall socket both look ok

Only if the computer hardware and wall socket look good should you do the following, elsewise I suggest that a competent person check your computer and power outlet;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Earthless94

Earthless94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

lRqpvC9.png

QMZKb27.png

Edited by Earthless94, 11 August 2014 - 01:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Apologies for the delay.

There is only one reading that is of concern and that is the AUXTIN temp, AUXTIN is related to the PSU sensor but not all systems have one.

Any reoccurrence of the burning smell. 

Earthless94

Earthless94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

no there hasn't been, its been running normally without smell

and its gone back to running without any lag

Edited by Earthless94, 13 August 2014 - 11:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

There is a chance that the smell was nothing more than the new hardware warming up but please do keep an eye on things and monitor your temps on a regular basis, any further concerns let us know asap and likewise if you consider the issue resolved  :thumbsup:

Earthless94

Earthless94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ok probably was the dust that i cleaned out of it, there wasn't a huge amount of it but still a decent amount, thanks again for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are most welcome, take care  :thumbsup: