Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do i need zonealarm w/ router that has security?

• Please log in to reply

djw2009913

djw2009913

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Do i need zonealarm with a router that has SPI and NAT, Dos atack detection and logging, dropped packet log? I have tried shutting down zonealarm and running shields up. Everything was stealthed except 113 so i forwarded it to nowhere and now that is stealthed too. Zonealarm claims it has blocked 168 access attempts, but that could just be in error from something the computers on my network were trying to do. So keep zonealarm or toss it? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it aint broke don't fix it. i say as long as zonealarm isnt messing anything else up leave it where it is. never hurts to have a couple extra sets of eyes on the wire.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The main thing that ZoneAlarm is going to help you with is if you have some form of malware on your pc that is trying to connect out then it will tell you that something is trying to connect out. Now as for the router as far as I know they do not block outgoing connections, just incoming. Now if something does somehow get through the router's firewall you still have a software one blocking. Not a bad idea to leave it on. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jonny, depending on the router and the configuration thereof any and all traffic can be blocked, incoming and outgoing. though on most devices this requires an intimate knowledge of ACLs. which suck.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hey thanks :tazz: I was really only referring to "default" settings. You are correct you can block all traffic if so desired. ACL's aren't fun..

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

djw2009913

djw2009913

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for ur replies, i checked out www.grc.com and used their port scanner to scan my ports w/ zonealarm off, and (with or without zonelarm) every port was stealthed except 113 so i set up my router to forwarde that port an ip address that wasnt on my network. So now all ports are stealthed, and as you and the site reccomended im using zonealarm to protect outgoing connections. But, i decided to disable the firewall part of zonealarm becuase it was preventing some connections from my computer to my router when it tried to find the computer names and other information. I suppose i could leave it on and allow that port, but would it affect performance at all?

Edited by djw2009913, 13 June 2005 - 04:53 PM.