Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various adware (stormfall, dealkeeper, possibly pennybee) might have i

adware freezing stormfall dealkeeper windows 8 ads corrupt system files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SnarkKnight96

SnarkKnight96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Just a question with that, though, since I have to run it multiple times, would I have to restart multiple times?

last time I did that I had to, but I think because I used the restore image command

then when I restarted my PC got stuck in a loop where it said "please wait, configuring windows" or something like that and I had to turn off and start again (obviously it's working fine now and I know it's very dangerous to do that, so I don't wanna go through that again)

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

I wouldn't re-start after every time.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Please let me know how you are doing with this issue. :)

SnarkKnight96

SnarkKnight96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

haven't had any problems yet, although yesterday and the day before, my PC was a little slow on logging in, but today it was fine.

I have a question about the scan that downloads its database (the one that could take hours), sometimes my PC goes into sleep mode if left alone for a long time, would that disturb it?

(also, I'm not sure if this is related to anything but yesterday I was gone for 2 hours and it actually didn't go into sleep mode. You think that's just a bug or something? it hasnt happened before)

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

I have a question about the scan that downloads its database (the one that could take hours), sometimes my PC goes into sleep mode if left alone for a long time, would that disturb it?

If the computer goes to sleep during the scan, yes, that would be problematic. ;)

Sleep mode in the various operating systems is an odd and inconsistent thing. It's never absolute. You can set it to sleep after an hour of inactivity, but if you read the fine print, there are caveats, such as, unless the OS is being updated or unless you jar the mouse, or, add in any number of other things. Go to Google and you can read more about this.

Anyway, this last scan is just a final cleanup and I'd call it "optional" with you. If you don't want to do it or don't have time, that's fine. If you do, that's fine too. If you'd like to do it at a future time and get back to me via PM, that's ok as well. Just let me know what you want to do. :)

SnarkKnight96

SnarkKnight96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I think I'm just gonna do the system file check first, then possibly MWB.

Then that'll be the last thing I do, unless something comes up.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

I think I'm just gonna do the system file check first, then possibly MWB.

Then that'll be the last thing I do, unless something comes up.

That sounds great! :)  I would encourage you to complete these quickly. If you let time accumulate between scans or fixes, it give can (not always, but possibly) give rise to other opportunistic infections.

SnarkKnight96

SnarkKnight96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
One last question (or a couple) regarding system check:

1. I have an update I haven't installed yet, would that do anything bad?
2. Would it tell me that it won't run another scan even after its done, because supposedly "one is already open"
3. I know you said it's probably best not to restart, but if for some reason I have to, would it give me the "preparing to configure windows" loop? That's what happened last time, but that might have been cause I also used the restore image health command. Basically that's what I'm afraid of. Would it do it if I /don't/ do that?

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

One last question (or a couple) regarding system check:

1. I have an update I haven't installed yet, would that do anything bad?
2. Would it tell me that it won't run another scan even after its done, because supposedly "one is already open"
3. I know you said it's probably best not to restart, but if for some reason I have to, would it give me the "preparing to configure windows" loop? That's what happened last time, but that might have been cause I also used the restore image health command. Basically that's what I'm afraid of. Would it do it if I /don't/ do that?

Just do this, reboot the computer and follow these instructions noting the line that says

You may have to run this up to 3 times to fix all the problems

SnarkKnight96

SnarkKnight96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Okay, thanks.

What would be a good way to back up my system? Would creating a restore point count? I never had to do this in advance before.

And by "default" did that mean that I have to install Windows again?

And how long does the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command usually take? when I last did it, it took over a half an hour, so I can't tell if it was stuck or if I was just being impatient. Sorry, I know I keep bringing that up, but that really, really, scared me, and I broke my last PC with an update to the point where it wouldn't even start, so hopefully you understand my paranoia, even if it might be annoying. 

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Per our discussion in PM I am closing this topic.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.