Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 7, Internet Email ONLY in Safe Mode [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,213 posts

My understanding with XP to Win 7 was it was a clean install.  I used there program it collected the data, installed after formatting, and then input the data based on the easy transfer.  Is my system too old for this Win 7 ?  I want to make it work as best as possible but want to know what to expect. I wondering if something is corrupt in the registry or elswhere.

You would have to tell me the exact name and model number for me to tell you if it is too old for Win7.  I can tell you from experience that not all XP systems (especially Intel based systems with Intel graphics) run Win7 without making some exceptions.  One of them being the video driver(s) have to be exact and you can not run Aero type desktops either.

If your desktop theme is saved, you might want to try setting the theme back to something basic (right click on the desktop and select Personalize; scroll the list of themes to the bottom and see if Windows7 Basic or Windows Classic is available; select one of those and see if you still get the same UAC problems).  Again, only do this if your current desktop theme is saved and you can return to that later.

Also, can you tell me if you have a folder on your hard drive named "Windows.old"?  Just want to know IF it exists; don't do anything with it now.

Advertisements

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Dell Inspirion 530s, Intel Core2 Duo Prosseor E7400 (3MB L2 Cache 2.80GHZ, 1066FSB) 3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHZ, 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM). Things ran well early and changed when I got a virus, screen  sent)

- Windows.old ? no file based on search... nothing came up.

- i sent you a post about a Adware scan... should we try that ? is it safe ?

After i was able to disable AVG Firewall in SAFE Mode, reboot to NORMAL(no AVG Fire Wall On).... same problem and there was no consent.exe in Task Manager. So can we rule out AVG Firewall blockage ? Could  get on net, email, desk top programs open but could not get Win UPDATE.

I did Normal boot and turn the AVG FWall back on(Internet needed) excluding the 2 earlier Intel Starts up and now can't get email, Net good, programs open if I push them through with another task.

Thinking out loud. I once had a virus/Malware that changed my drivers and seemed to see this situation ? can we start looking at the Graphic Drivers ? test for registry changes(over my head). i wouldbe  happly delete program but I can't all hangs then I have to reboot . Seems like something has me in pickel and it acts like a Virus (excpet all Virus software and Malaware update... not windows)... just off my head. Sometimes my screen has a very quick BLINK... almost unnoticeable.  My system will not shut down with using the power button. Right before system shuts down MESSAGE Too manny 16 or 32 bit porcess running (something like that .. too fast to see) If the system was overwhlemed with task woudln't it just run slow... not lock up. Is some script been changed to casue this?

I will try the Desktop adjustment Monday morning.

Thanks for your help.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,213 posts

I'll check on the make and model for the XP to 7 changes but from just a quick look it seems that this would be ok.

One thing I have seen in the past is a shortage of free space will make the system perform poorly (at best) and actually stumble and freeze.  Can you see what amount is free (available) on your main drive?

When was the last time a sfc /scannow check run on your hard drive?  This would tell if anything had modified the system drivers or files.

What browser do you use mainly?  If it is not IE then have you tried a reset on the Internet Options (in the Control Panel) or in Tools > Internet Options (inside IE)?  Also, there is a proxy setting in the Connections tab; did you set this?  Have you tried clearing this setting as a test of the internet connection?

As to AdwCleaner, I am not a fan of any 'automatic' scan & delete programs and only run such programs where I know the use is warranted (as in I know the program will fix a certain problem because I've seen evidence of the problem in other scans).  A scan to see what it finds might be interesting; I don't really think it will show much after all the malware scans and fixes that the history log shows but if this will ease your mind a scan and review of any findings (no deletions, please post the log here) would be fine by me.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I'm  running  sfc /scannow check run on the hard drive. C Prompt says it will take some time. It shows running in TaskManager so I hope it's running? I will post the info as soon as it completes and respond back to the other questions. I was mistaken earlier . I had this installed since Win stopped it's final support for XP . My experience was good up until end of July when I got that situation in earlier post... added Emirisoft, CC cleaner etc. It's as though something just changed the last  week or so. I want to uninstall CCcleaner, AVG Tune up ( this maybe changed something)... but I can't UNINSTALL any programs or get Wind UPDATE ?

Is it odd that sfc/scannow has ran on my system for 45 mins and it shows NO % complete ? screen attached

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Screen didn't take.

Attached Thumbnails

• SFC.JPG

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,213 posts

How is the sfc scan running now?  You may have to try this one in Safe Mode with Command Prompt if it hangs in the current mode (Safe Mode with Networking).

Let me know about this first then we can move on.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

One thing I have seen in the past is a shortage of free space will make the system perform poorly (at best) and actually stumble and freeze.  Can you see what amount is free (available) on your main drive?465 .. 41.4 remaining

When was the last time a sfc /scannow check run on your hard drive?  This would tell if anything had modified the system drivers or files. 1st hung, 2nd Screen attached(1st)

What browser do you use mainly? Foxfire(mainly because IE was sooo bad from the beginning no links and slow.  If it is not IE then have you tried a reset on the Internet Options (in the Control Panel) or in Tools > Internet Options (inside IE)?  Also, there is a proxy setting in the Connections tab; did you set this?  Have you tried clearing this setting as a test of the internet connection? Did it (read abt this earlier said no way IE could be helping cause this ? I reset and was able to now UNINSTALLED AVG Tune Up (with Utlity.. tried in PROGRAMS but hung. Read this from other user and used a Utility fro AVG. It's gone now. Proxy showed nothing marker in IE. Deleted UNINSTALLED Emisoft.

As to AdwCleaner, I am not a fan of any 'automatic' scan & delete programs and only run such programs where I know the use is warranted (as in I know the program will fix a certain problem because I've seen evidence of the problem in other scans).  A scan to see what it finds might be interesting; I don't really think it will show much after all the malware scans and fixes that the history log shows but if this will ease your mind a scan and review of any findings (no deletions, please post the log here) would be fine by me. Ran it SCREEN attached.

Some other good news able to install Windows Updates(2 or 12 but downloaded and installing SLOWER than USUAL but installing something, maybe stuck at 2 ?) :yes:  Shut down is bad hangs, must use POWER button but progress...

Attached Thumbnails

• SFC.JPG
  • Sfc2ndtime.JPG
  • sfc3.JPG

Attached Files

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

How do you REMOVE Ccleaner ? it's not in PROGRAMS  I can't fins it by it's name or it's manufactur. I've searched on the next and I can't find where it is on my C Drive ?

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,213 posts

Well that is some good news (about the updates). 

Please do not install this update (if you have not done so) http://support.micro...82791#appliesto ; if you have installed it just leave it as removing right now could be more trouble than worth (and not everyone is having an issue with this update).

I don't see Ccleaner on your system at all; if I mentioned it, it was a typo.  Actually, CCleaner is a safe program to use as long as you don't use the Registry Cleaning part of it.

The search engine (ixquick) that is listed is a legit search engine / web site BUT if you did not set it then we should change that to one of the defaults.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,213 posts

Ok, just going over what we have covered and found so far.

1)  Multiple AV/AM programs running in real time.  When not running (this is similar to when you ran the Clean Boot), everything seems to run up to the point you need a consent.exe / UAC pop up confirmation.  At this point, the system hangs.

2)  When I mentioned Registry Cleaners, I was referring to AVG TuneUp (as most of these products seem to think that removing 'unneeded' data from the registry will make your system run faster).  You have not had CCleaner.exe on this system (or at least not according to any of logs I have seen) so you don't need to tear out any hair looking for it.

3)  The sfc scan did not find any modified system files or drivers; if it had, there would have been a notification on the command prompt windows you had open.

4)  The upgrade to Win7 - when you said "there tool" was used to migrate settings / data / etc. - who's tool was that Microsoft's or Dell's?

5)  Did you have to update the video driver after the Win7 install?  What version is the driver in your system?  (You can check by going to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapter and click the arrow to expand this section.  Right click on the adapter and select Properties; on the Driver tab the version will be listed.)

Advertisements

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

dbreeze i will post answers to all your ? you've broken the dam, Windows updates in etc. AVG looks to be the problem( especially Zen and Tune up)I will write full descirption. I need your reconmendation of Virus software based on what my system consist of for Win 7.. something that's good but without selling me other upgrades and will not bofg my system. i currently have NO Virus software becasue AVG will not install not even with their Tech Support. AVG Tech support left me hanging after they deleted my Driver for the Net. i had not net .. luckliy you freed my system up to use RESTORE(never worked before) Need Virus recomendation then you'll have full right up. MAchine is shutting down since getting red of AVG with Revo.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Ok, just going over what we have covered and found so far.

1)  Multiple AV/AM programs running in real time.  When not running (this is similar to when you ran the Clean Boot), everything seems to run up to the point you need a consent.exe / UAC pop up confirmation.  At this point, the system hangs. Things have freed up since deleted Emisoft, AVG Virus(Tune up, Zen this was hanging in SAFE MODE advertisement). sytem is not hangng ... running much faster at this point. Win update coming in great, RESTORE even worked(never did before). Need recomend on Virus software for this older system and Win 7.

2)  When I mentioned Registry Cleaners, I was referring to AVG TuneUp (as most of these products seem to think that removing 'unneeded' data from the registry will make your system run faster).  You have not had CCleaner.exe on this system (or at least not according to any of logs I have seen) so you don't need to tear out any hair looking for it. CCleaners IS ON THIS SYSTEM... I can't find it either but it is on my DESKTOP. I do want to know where it is but can't find by name or manufactur. I use it scary to not be able to find it ?

3)  The sfc scan did not find any modified system files or drivers; if it had, there would have been a notification on the command prompt windows you had open.

4)  The upgrade to Win7 - when you said "there tool" was used to migrate settings / data / etc. - who's tool was that Microsoft's or Dell's? Windows Easy Transfer, program that collects XP data then plots it in Win 7.

5)  Did you have to update the video driver after the Win7 install?  What version is the driver in your system?  (You can check by going to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapter and click the arrow to expand this section.  Right click on the adapter and select Properties; on the Driver tab the version will be listed.) SCREEN attached

I will be traveling for 8/13 & 8/14 PLEASE DO NOT delete my post without response. I will DL your refferal based on what you suggest as trial for virus software then give you full update. It got scary there when Windows 2 or 12 updates DL and then REBOOT. Black screen then system did DISK check. Ran disk check booted then was able to get remainder of DLs. Now the system is shutting down as normal. HUGE relief at this point.  Right nowt I would say IE deletion of settings freed up so I could delete conflicting programs( seems like AVG Tune up & Zen were big in this) fighting for use ? System is running  better.  I want to formulate a list of ?s after it runs and after I get Virus Software. I was going to DL Microsoft Essential but it brought up uninstalling other Malaware programs  and Malware has worked for me ?

Edited by everythingsm, 19 August 2014 - 12:59 PM.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Driver SCREENSHOT

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Hope this takes #rd attempt for Driver screenshot. If it doesn't take ... Intel ® G33/G31 Express Chip - Device Working Properly

Edited by everythingsm, 19 August 2014 - 12:31 PM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,213 posts

Well, that is great news!  The best I've had all week!! :spoton: :geek:

Ok, the following is from my closing 'speech' once a system is clean.  If you are wondering why Geeks To Go recommends a free AV here's why:  You never have to worry about a subscription running out and your system being left un-protected.  And they are FREE!

As to the firewall, I've used both listed below and the built-in Windows 7 one (only one at a time).  I can vouch for all of them. 

I would worry about the AV first (leaving the Win7 firewall enabled and running) before worrying about a third party firewall.

Now some information on programs to help keep you safe:

First, an Antivirus program. You NEED one; free is just as good as paid-for as long as you keep them updated. ONLY use one at a time as having more than that will cause system problems. Here are some free ones to check out:
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast! Free Antivirus

Next, a firewall is a must have now-a-days. The built in firewall in Windows 7 is fine (just make sure it is turned on (Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall)). Or, if you like, you could choose one of the free ones listed here:
Emsisoft Online Armor - installs as trialware which converts to freeware in 30 days
Zone Alarm Free Firewall - installer includes foistware so read the options very carefully

=== options ====
Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing. By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed.

CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system. You can read the details about this program here.  (Note: I would not add this, everythingsm, until you get all your other programs settled first.  It will be easier that way.)

Also, consider adding MalwareBytes Antimalware to your arsenal of safe keeping programs. Use the free version (not the paid or trial version) and you won't have a problem with your antivirus scanner program. Keep it updated and run a scan with it once a week.

Lastly, if you use Firefox as your main web browser, consider adding the NoScript and AdBlockPlus add-ons to the browser to block scripting hijacks and remove unwanted ads from the pages you view.

You may also find some information and tips at this thread:
How did I get infected in the first place?
and
COMPUTER SECURITY - a short quide to staying safer online

I believe that you meant the 20th and the 21st (instead of the 13th and 14th as those were last week).  Don't worry; since you informed us we will keep the thread open until then (and just so you know, I don't think they ever delete legitimate threads here; they just lock older ones so no posting can be done to them without a moderator being notified).  Enjoy your trip and don't worry about this; it looks like we are over the major hurdles for now.