Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Refurb/upgrade first build with son $400 (Resolved)

Best Answer Bluegrassdude , 18 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hello Bluegrassdude, Before I comment on your OP is the ongoing topic here now deemed to be resolved, I ask so that it can be marked as such so as to avoid you being offered build guidance bot... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

http://pcpartpicker....de/saved/4cM48d

What do you guys think? This will be a first build with my 12 year old.

CPU Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core (Purchased) $0.00

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98

Motherboard ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 $66.99

Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (Purchased) $0.00

Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $35.99

Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (Purchased) $0.00

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB $119.99

Case Zalman ZM-Z9 U3 (Black) ATX Mid Tower $69.58

Power Supply EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V $29.99

Optical Drive HP 447328-B21 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased) $0.00

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased) $0.00

Case Fan Cooler Master R4-L4S-10AB-GP 60.9 CFM 140mm $9.98

Cooler Master R4-L4S-10AB-GP 60.9 CFM 140mm $9.98

Custom Logisys 12" Cold Cathode Case Lights - 2 Piece (Blue) $9.89

WD MyBook 3 TB (Purchased) $0.00

Total $382.37

This build will be used for my son to do some gaming, mostly minecraft with video recording and YouTube uploading and some other mid-high end games as he gets older. I hope this will last him through high school (6 years) so I'm not opposed to spending an extra $25-50 on a GPU now to not have to do it in the next few years. I’d also consider a CPU upgrade as well. He has an Xbox 360 for other gaming stuff. I will use the computer for home stuff mostly with MS Office, internet surfing and still image and video editing/sharing using Photoshop and other editors. I would like to have a 15 in one multimedia card reader We just upgraded to TWC 30/10 from ATT DSL 6/1. The modem is a SURFboard 6141 and the router is an ASUS RT-N66R N900. I want to maximize those capabilities and the computer will be connected directly to the router through a gigabit Ethernet line.

Specific questions
Is going a little better with MoBo worth it with the intel i5 3330 such as ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 or 4 or the ASUS P8 Z77 V or Gigabyte GA Z77 UD 3H?
I may need to move the computer to a non Ethernet location, should I get the wireless card now or later?
I need a 15 in 1 media reader to upload images and video from cameras. How easy will it be to put one in the 3.5" external bay? Do these MoBos support that?

Thanks for the feedback - good and bad

Edited by Bluegrassdude, 13 August 2014 - 06:25 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Hello Bluegrassdude,

Before I comment on your OP is the ongoing topic here now deemed to be resolved, I ask so that it can be marked as such so as to avoid you being offered build guidance both here and there.

sukiblr

sukiblr

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Very good config..and cost effective too :)...I would have recommended Biostar Z87 mobo as well...

Bluegrassdude

Bluegrassdude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Bluegrassdude,

Before I comment on your OP is the ongoing topic here now deemed to be resolved, I ask so that it can be marked as such so as to avoid you being offered build guidance both here and there.

Please mark this one resolved. Not many responses. I will continue with the other thread. Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Hello Bluegrassdude,

Please mark this one resolved. Not many responses. I will continue with the other thread. Thank you.

Thank you Bluegrassdude  :thumbsup: