Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SVCHOST.exe is infected, please help [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Do you still think the problems are likely to be the result of the Windows patch and not malware?

Well, I think your machine is clear of malware. I suspect that the issues are Hardware or Software. Why don't you open a topic here. or here. and I'll keep this open for a few days in case the hardware or software folks send you back.

Advertisements

ihatesvchost.exe

ihatesvchost.exe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Same issue with rundll and google chrome opening by itself happened again today. I was able to temporarily stop the problem by closing rundll files that showed they were operating out of App Data / some kind of temp files.

It's possible my computer has hardware issues, but I have a really hard time believing it is free of malware. Or maybe the 2 are related in some way that I am missing.

In any event, I am going to seek a 2nd opinion before exploring the hardware issues in more depth. Thank you again for all your help; I will be sure to let you know the end result.

ihatesvchost.exe

ihatesvchost.exe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Update:

Thought it over a little more and decided that a cursory examination of hardware issues can't hurt at this point. I'd be surprised if I was malware free, but it's quite possible that hardware is causing more problems than I thought. I've had 2 blue screens in the past 24 hours, so I will at least have a logical starting point to discuss with them.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

I'd be surprised if I was malware free

Can't say that I disagree with you based on behavior;)   But, I'm not seeing it right now. Although I will re-assess the scans we've done to date.

You did have some significant infections on your computer. We can usually clean them. However, sometimes the cleaning damages, moves, removes, substitutes files and the machine becomes unstable. Perhaps (although I think I'm reaching on this), that happened here or in combination with the wonky upgrade?

Lets see what the Hardware and OS assessment have to say. Feel free to point the Helper to me if they have questions about what I did, etc.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.