Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I use Macrium?

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me back up my system using Macrium? I hear its the cats meow :yeah:

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello grasshopper!

Here's every thing you want to know about Macrium. You may get help from Essexboy in the future, but for now here's a link with great tutorials and videos! You would click ok where I clicked cancel

http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

doneato!

Here's a starter!

Attached Files

Edited by donetao, 14 August 2014 - 02:00 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi here is a little tutorial that I made for another forum.... But I will let you be my guinee pig :)

Download and install Macrium Reflect free

CREATE EMERGENCY USB

Once installed run the programme
Insert a 4GB USB drive into the system
On the left of the dialogue select Other Tasks
Select Create bootable Rescue media
In the window that opens select Windows PE 5.0
Click Next
macriumbootdisc.JPG

Select Default base WIM on the next dialogue and press next
macriumpe.JPG

On the next dialogue select your USB drive and enable multiboot MBR/EUFI USB support (If available)
Click Finish and your rescue USB will be created
macriumburn.JPG

Once the burn has finished you will be asked to test the USB
Do this by rebooting the computer with the USB inserted
The computer should then start in the recovery mode
Exit from this and remove the USB
Keep the USB safe as this will enable an unbootable computer to boot

TO MAKE AN IMAGE

Connect your external Hard Disc
Run the programme and tick the partitions you wish to image (In my case I have selected System and OS )
macriumselect.JPG

Then click Image selected disc on this computer at the top left
Ensure that the correct partitions are selected to image
Under destination locate and select the external drive in my case G
macriumexternal.JPG

Click next and a summary of actions will be shown
If you are happy click finish
macriumconfirm.JPG

You will be asked to confirm the backup
Select OK

Once it has completed select close and unplug the external drive. Job done
macriumcomplete.JPG

To use the image from an unbootable computer
Start the computer with the recovery USB
Plug in the external drive and just follow the prompts :)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Excellent tutorial.

I approve 100% I would change the down link. CNET is using Down Load Managers and if your not careful you will get PUP's. I recommend filehippo!

http://filehippo.com...macrium_reflect

Thank you sir!

doneato!

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hello Canadian......what province do you live in?  As a kid I lived in B.C. for 5 years.

Macrium Reflect is, IMHO, a really fine backup utility, and it is free. I use it on all my home computers, and install it on all my clients' computers (those that want it, anyway). It will save your bacon one day, I promise, because there is nobody that eventually hasn't had a major crash, hard drive failure, etc. I have made a tutorial for my clients that they can leave on their desktops and use whenever they make a weekly backup.

NOTE: I use the complete image only; the free version of MR does not make incremental backups, only complete partition images. I prefer that anyway.

Remember a rule: use a backup hard drive that is equal or smaller than your target (original) drive that you are backing up. If you attempt to restore to a drive that is smaller than your backup drive, you may run into difficulties.

[EDIT]: whoops, Essexboy beat me to it.

Attached Files

Edited by ranchhand3, 14 August 2014 - 02:33 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello ranchhand!

Yup he beat you to it!

I like his tutorial better! :laughing: :laughing:

Hope we didn't scare grasshopper away!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

The Windows PE is the best to recovery with, but if you don't have a flash handy, you could try the Linux recovery CD

It works work me!

The important thing at the moment is to get a back up image on your external drive. :yes:

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

To some extent I have to laugh, poor Canadianchicklet is inundated with tutorials now, she will think they are coming out of her ears. :D

Just for luck here is one I posted in the GtG tutorials yesterday.

http://www.geekstogo...acrium-reflect/

Best advice I can give now is have a look at them all, I doubt there will be any conflicts, but also don't want to muddy the water and get you confused! So just have a look at them and decide for yourself which is the best and easiest to follow.

The one important thing is to make the rescue disk, or as Essex boy said a USB flash drive, as that is definitely required to use the backup if it is needed. (I believe you may already have done that)

The second thing is to put time to one side every few weeks to make a fresh backup so as to be as near as possible to being up to date. A lot depends on how much work you have done and how much fresh stuff has been added as to exactly how often you make a new backup image.

Also, as Ranchhand said the external drive does need to be as big or larger than the one in the computer, a point I mention in my tutorial.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 14 August 2014 - 03:38 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

My vote for best tutorial goes to Essexboy.

Sorry guys but you just don't cut it. His is very well presented professional and very simple to follow.

KISS

candianchicklet has some of the best help you could ever want and after asking for help is no where around.

Go figure????

doneato!

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Lollll....om goodness. .no my daughter is sick..I was caring for her..I'll respond tomorrow...grasshopper
.is not scared!!! Plz forgive my late response. .hugs to all!

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ok!! haha.. wow.. im so very grateful and happy to see the response.. this macrium must be a favorite.. im excited to learn all the ins and outs of it... because I got my computer custom built... and as a girl who knows nothing about computers ... lol may not have been the best way to go... but... i wanted to play dun dun dunnnnnnnnn.. world of warcraft and raid with no lag!!!! haha.. sigh.. its true... anyway... that aside... in my move.. i lost all the discs that came with my beautiful computer... and i messed up the drivers trying to follow a how to make your computer run smoother link here... so aura... donetao  helped me over the course of a couple weeks... poor fellas... but they got my computer back to perfect condition... so now i need to back it up.. to protect myself... at there suggestion..because i wouldnt even have thought of that lol... so .. now that my external hard drive is here... im off to do a back up!! ill let u all know how it goes... i looked at all the tutorials... and im sure they all work... but for a *puter blonde like myself... essex boys tutorial... seemed the clearest..... maybe he should write a how to do a back up for dummies book haha... anyway.. im off!!... oh ya... ranchhand... i  am from thunder bay ontario.. but 8 months ago i moved to windsor ontario... .. and ive been on this site for... gosh.. idk.. 7 ish years... they have saved my *canadian bacon* numerous times... mainly essexboy... hes my geek in shining armor hahaha... ok ill stop now... im off to do a back up!

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

hey..i uninstalled the version i had.. and reinstalled yours... and i still.. only have the option of windows PE 3.1.. not 5.1... is that ok

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

nvm... tee hee

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi when you have that window open where it says 3.1, click the advanced button, it is in there where you change it to version 5.0

Nev.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ya i figured it out lol...hense the tee hee lol. i have to learn to look before calling for help... im just so scared to make a mistake... my mistakes tend to mess things up ... a lot!