Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which softwares shall I uninstall ? Which ones do I not need - Solved

slow start up slow boot up slow

• Please log in to reply

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hello there

First of all I gotta say that I am new to this forum and I am glad I found it and I really appreciate the help I received in the online chat so far.

Alright so, since yesterday I experience a lot slower start up time, meaning now my PC takes +3 minutes to start up, sometimes 195 seconds +/-.

The day before yesterday it was all good, my PC needed 60-70 seconds to start up which is not that bad.

Here's what I did/ changed which most probably have caused this.

1.. Installed BitDefender AntiVirus Plus 2015, ran a full scan, 9 threats were found and removed. Though after installing this anti virus I noticed somehow a little bit slower PC.

2. Installed windows updates by running BitDefender

3. Installed a software called " WinOptimizer11 " by Ashampoo and used the option to optimize my PC, probably what it did is cleaning the registry files, removing temporary files, defragmented disk. In my opinion this is most likely what caused the problem, though that's just my opinion and I am not really sure there.

4. After uninstalling BitDefender I installed Kaspersky 2015 but I didnt run any scan at all so I am more than sure this is not what caused me the problem

That's basically what exactly I did.

Now in order to fix the problem I spoke to some people and they adviced me to do some stuffs.

Here's what I did in order to fix the problem

1. Used CCleaner to:

- Clean registry files

- Remove temporary files

2. I ran a full scan with 2 softwares:

- Avast Free AntiVirus 2014, no threats were found

- Malwarebytes, again nothing was found

3. Analyzed disk defragmentation, the result was %0 fragmented files, therefore I didnt run the defragmentation process.

4. Used a software called " TuneUp Utilities 2014 " to:

- Clean registry files

- Remove temporary files

- Defragment the registry

- Disable the QoS ( Quality of Service )

^^  I was adviced by a guy to do that who seemed to be experienced in this kind of things, he told me exactly what to do and I did nothing on my own with that software.

5. Uninstalled the Windows Updates which I installed by using BitDefender

That's everything what I tried to do to fix the problem, however that doesnt seem to have fixed the problem.

About my start up processes, I have only 8 processes, including anti virus, nvidia and microsoft corporation processes.

List of my start up processes can be seen  at the picture bellow

Capture.PNG

Other than that, I dont have a lot of icons on the desktop, neither a lot of widgets or anything else that might slow the start up, I only have 2 small features of a Rainmeter, Object Dock called " Nexus " and 1 time gadget. But I guarantee the problem is not about any of these, I have had them for a long time already ( 1-2 months ) and I never experienced any problems since I started using these softwares/ gadgets.

Here's a link of a picture which shows everything I have on my desktop, link down bellow

http://oi58.tinypic.com/o89j46.jpg

Now I am not really sure if writting down my PC stats would be helpful, but I'll do it anyway.

Operative System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Processor: AMD Anthlon X2 240 2.80 GHz

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT 630 4 GB GDDR3

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

HDD: 500 GB ( 220 GB free, 144 GB occupied )

That's all, if you have any questions please dont hessistate to ask, also if more information are needed let me know.

Thank you for reading

Sincerely

Vladimir

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Let's see what starts when you boot your computer.

Download and run Startup List (does not need to be installed, just run it).
When done, click File then Save as and save Startuplist.txt to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it.

Start a reply here and paste the contents of Startuplist.txt into it.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

By the way, I'd like to tell you that there's some kind of change, I mean I took a look on the events viewer, at the time it took my PC to start up.

Start up time at 8:10 AM - 64 seconds

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nb9q8i.jpg

8:44 AM - 76 seconds

http://tinypic.com/v...=8#.U-3JG2PNqnk

10:05 AM - 134 seconds

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2zfsqvl.jpg

10:30 AM - 80 seconds

http://oi58.tinypic.com/x6il3s.jpg

Anyway, I did as you told me and here's the results, the list is pretty much huge.

Spoiler

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I don't see much to play with there except these:

Windows Defender is active even though you have Avast AV installed and active. Disable Windows Defender.
Uninstall Google Chrome as a test.
Disable PunkBuster as a test

If none of these help, try a Clean Boot, see what that does for you. See here:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Edit: Also, what devices do you have plugged into the computer?

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I disabled Windows Defender and I uninstalled Google Chrome.

I also disabled PunkBuster ( through Task Manager, ending the process ) but again the next time my PC started this process was running. May you please tell me how else to disable this process ?

I'll try the Clean Boot later.

About devices, well I have a mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, subwoofer and a webcamera.

Again I checked the start up time for the previous 12 hours, the fastest one is 72 seconds while the slowest start up took 120 seconds.

The last 3 times I restarted my PC, it took about 96-101 seconds.

At last, I'd like to tell you that the problem is kinda half fixed, meaning previously it took 3 minutes to start up while now it takes about a minute and half which is not that perfect but not that bad I guess compared to the previous 3 minutes.

Are those variations normal? I mean, the PC once took 72 seconds to start up and then an hour later it took 120, the difference is 48 seconds.

EDIT: I've also performed a Clean Boot and it seems like it helped me a lot. I disabled every process including the anti-virus on start up and every non-microsoft service, the PC took 40-50 seconds to start up.

After doing that I have re-enabled the same processes I always had, but now I disabled 3 of them:

- HD Audio CPL - this was the sound equalizer, I didnt know that it was it, else I'd of disabled it a long time ago ( I thought it's a must start up process for the audio )

- Nvidia GeForce Experience auto update

- Some Microsoft process that I dont need at start up ( forgot its name and function )

Now my PC takes 48-68 seconds to start up which is a lot better compared to the previously time it needed to start up, also 60 seconds was the time required to start up when I had no problems at all, so now it's the same, some seconds +/- which dont matter at all.

This fixed my problem, thank you very much for helping me out, appreciated !

Since the problem is solved, may any moderator please lock the thread ?

Edited by Vladimir123, 16 August 2014 - 02:37 PM.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I'd like to boost my PC's performance even more so I need some help/ advices here about which softwares may I safely uninstall.

So, I have 72 programs installed, some games which I never play ( I dont uninstall them " just like that ", but if needed sure I can uninstall ), microsoft programs and other programs.
The total size is 18,2 GB.

Basically Im asking which of those " Microsoft " softwares I dont need because there's plenty of them and Im not really sure if it's safe to uninstall them or not. They're mostly C++, and no Im not programming at all.
I also wonder if I shall uninstall the older updates from Java, such as Java 7 Update 60 / 65 when in fact the latest one I have is Java 8 Update 11.

Anyway, here's the full list of all of my installed programs, have a look please

Spoiler

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! I see one I would get rid of U torrent! I never mess with Microsoft!

Here's my Programs! There are a bunch I don't need, but they aren't bothering me.

I would leave Micros$$T alone!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 16 August 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Well honestly I dont use torrent, but my brother does use it from time to time to download whatever he likes, mostly movies, so I'd rather just leave it as it is than removing it.

By the way, the thing with my microsoft's installed programs is that they are mostly C++ visual, and Im not programming at all, so I wonder if my PC really needs those.

But yea you're right, they dont bother me, not at all, but if uninstalling those I dont need benefits my PC, why wouldnt I do that ?

Thanks for your reply.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

What are you trying to gain?? You need to have at least 25% free space on your HD.

As I stated before I don't mess with Micros$$t You keep saying your aren't programing. I don't see what that has to do with the C++visual??

I can almost guarantee using torrent will get you infected sooner or later, but that's your decision to make.

Uninstalling programs you don't use is a good idea if you need more free space or your PC is having problems.

Uninstalling Java or Adobe won't cause your PC to crash, but you may have some programs that don't work correctly.

If you have a doubt about a program, you can always Google it.

May be other members will have better suggestions later on during the week! Week ends are some times slow here on the forum!

donetao!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Glad it's fixed.

We don't lock threads unless it's been inactive for a long time and someone starts appending to it.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Very nice Ztrucker. :spoton:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Have you looked carefully at the programs that do start with windows to see which Auto update, all I have set are, Firewall, Virus and Windows Update.

I also have my computer set to Hibernate and only shutdown when going to bed, even with the browser left open, 6+ tabs, it's ready to go in 15 seconds. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello folks,

A couple of points of note Vladimir123, you are trying to improve the computers performance which we will gladly help you with but please keep in mind that you as the end user has the most control over what is installed on and who uses your computer; 1: Gary has identified the risks associated with downloading torrents, you say that you don't use the program but that your brother does, you have no way of knowing what is being downloaded and installed from torrent sites which is dangerous, fortunately the answer is simple, stop your brother downloading torrents. 2: Java is actually deemed a security risk and it is recommended that you do not have it installed at all, if you must use it for any particular program to run you should always have the latest version available, remove all older versions using the steps provided by Java here and finally disable Java when you are not using the software that requires it. 3: The C++ software is safe to remove but it is interesting to see that the first and last C++ software that has been installed are some thirteen months apart with many installed in between, this suggests that more care needs to be taken when downloading and installing software/updates. 4: The other entries you need to make and post a specific list of and we can then advise as to what if anything can be safely removed. 5: Provide the previously suggested (at the other thread) Speccy url so that we have the best possible hardware and software information to work with, Speccy details here

Adobe we can come back to once it has been established whether or not you need or indeed us it.

NB: Just noticed that you are already receiving assistance regarding the same subject Vladimir123 so have merged the two threads to avoid any confusion or duplicated guidance.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

phillpower2

I'll provide Speccy information as soon as possible.

Currently I have 6 processes that start with windows.

1. Nvidia GeForce Experience

2. Windows sidebar

3. Nexus

4. Avast

5. Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager ( I wonder if I actually need this )

6. Rainmeter

Well, of these 6 I think only the first and maybe the 5th search for updates on start up, though not sure about that.

Now as I said my PC takes mostly 40-60 seconds to start up which is not bad at all, atleast for me.

Is this the normal time my PC shall take to start up ?

Thanks once again

EDIT: I did as you told me, here's the results

http://speccy.pirifo...UCEG7lIBs8NIdLQ

Edited by Vladimir123, 17 August 2014 - 05:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies Vladimir123 but I somehow missed your update  :(

Avast is the one thing that you should consider having running on boot, this to ensure that you are protected as soon as you go on the internet.

Speccy looks good but keep an eye on the amount of free storage space on the C: drive/partition,  to avoid possible data corruption is is best to have around 25% of the drives overall storage capacity available all of the time;

Can we take a look at Disk Manager please;

1.        Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2.        Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.

3.        In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.

4.        In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

5.        When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.