Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot, When running safe mode it gets stuck on ASWRV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Puddd

Puddd

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi guys yesterday out of no where my computer froze up, I hit the reset button and now whenever I try to start the computer it will get a BSOD with the Stop: 0x00000050. When I try to repair the computer in the menu that comes up after you press f8 during start up the computer doesn't respond and I can't click or select anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the computer is custom built, all parts are still under warranty so if it is a hardware issue just tell me what part it is and I can get it fixed/replaced

Thank You 

Edited by Puddd, 16 August 2014 - 08:54 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Puddd,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

This is the forum for computer boot up problems caused by malware. We are not so good on the hardware issues.

Your situation sounds a bit like a hardware or software conflict problem to me so maybe not malware. Nevertheless we can see if we can access your machine to have a look.

Download OTLPENet.exe from here

This is a way to access your computer using a CD that we will create.

Before starting you might like to print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing. The instructions need to be followed exactly.

You will need a blank CD and a USB stick/flash drive.

Now
  • Download OTLPE.iso from here and save it somewhere you can get it.
  • Insert a writable blank CD/DVD in your CD drive and click on the OTPLE.iso to burn a CD.

Next
  • connect the USB Flash Drive
  • Download FRST and save it to the root of the USB Flash Drive.
After that
  • Reboot the infected system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • When you see a message with Starting REATOGO-X-PE connect the USB Flash Drive
  • The CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system... it can take a bit of time, just be patient  :)
  • After it has fully loaded your system should display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double click the My Computer icon and open the drive corresponding to your flash drive
  • Double-click on FRST to run it.  FRSTicon.jpg
    When the Tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
]FRSTconsole-2.jpg
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) on the flash drive.
  • Open the Start Menu and click Shutdown to close the REATOGO-X-PE
  • Insert the Flash Drive on the working computer, then locate and open the FRST.txt log
  • Please copy and paste the log contents back here.

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I'm sorry guys but there's two issues here. 

1. I don't have another PC meaning I cannot open .exe files while my one and only PC cannot start.

2. The Macbook Air that I do have cannot burn discs because it doesn't have a disc drive.

I can use a USB, i'm not sure if I can just use on of these instead. 

I'm sorry i've made it so hard for you guys but I really didn't expect my Avast to brick my computer.

I did fine someone that has (I think) the exact same problem. They were able to get a FRST.txt Its probably useless but here it is anyway. https://forum.avast....0;attach=140087

Edited by Puddd, 18 August 2014 - 04:59 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I can use a USB, i'm not sure if I can just use on of these instead.

We could use the USB stick without creating a disk if you are able to access Advanced Boot Options and the Command Prompt. I will post those instructions below but from your first post I got the impression you couldn't access Advanced Boot Options. That is why I posted instructions for the disk as a way of booting up your machine.

Here are the instructions for just using a USB stick. If this doesn't work, tell me. :)

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64)  and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

When I hit repair my computer it disconnects my mouse and keyboard and I can't do anything. 

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

When I hit repair my computer it disconnects my mouse and keyboard and I can't do anything.

Have you tried using the up and down keys on your keyboard... the ones with the arrows?

Sometimes when nothing else works you can use those keys to move the cursor to where you want it and then press enter.

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I can't do anything, the keyboard and mouse actually lose power, the lights go out. This only happens after I do 'Repair my computer'

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I can't do anything, the keyboard and mouse actually lose power, the lights go out.

Weird, it's almost like it's going into hibernation.

Well I am about out of ideas. There are ways that you can make a bootable flash drive but they all involve another computer and your machine may not be set to boot from a flash drive. I will post some instructions below for you if you wish to try it but you will need access to another Windows machine. Also please note that I have not tried these particular instructions before so while I think they will work there are no guarantees.

My best idea is for you to follow the option outlined post number 2. That is, if you have a friends computer that you can use to download and burn a bootable CD using those instructions which are more straight forward than the bootable flash drive option. Also they have been tested and are known to work providing the machine is not completely dead lol.

Other thoughts:

I guess you have checked all your cables to make sure nothing is loose... say your power cable, your keyboard and mouse connection. I know, basic things, but sometimes it is the silly thing that solves the problem.

Another thing is overheating but I guess you have checked that too... unlikely to happen just when you try to enter "Repair my computer" though lol.

Here are the instructions for creating a bootable flash drive. Again this needs to be downloaded to a computer but it gets around the need to burn a CD.

Now

How to create a bootable flash drive with OTLPE:

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
  • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror. Note:Make sure you just let 7-zip download... don't press any other button or download link. Just wait a few seconds and allow your browser to download 7-zip.
  • Once you have 7-zip install, open OTLPENet.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the option Open archive see the picture below - the top one. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

OTLPE_7zip.jpg
  • Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.
  • Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.

Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

• Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to the flash drive.
  • Reboot your infected system using the boot USB you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here
  • As the  Programme needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads  :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
  • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
  • The tool will start to run.
    FRST2.gif
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I'll try that when I get home but if it doesn't work how would I reinstall windows 7 without a windows disc?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Very difficult without being able to access your machine.

Depending on the brand, computers nowadays often have a recovery partition that can be used to restore a machine to a factory condition. To do that though you have to be able to access it. Also you state that your machine is custom built so very unlikely to have a recovery partition.

While we don't know exactly what is wrong with your machine, the symptoms you report can be associated with a breaking or broken hard drive.

If you hard drive is broken then you would need to purchase a new one before anything else could be done. After that you would have to purchase a Windows OS to install on it.

If you are able to access your machine using a CD that you burn along the lines of that mentioned at post #2, then, if the hard drive is breaking but not completely gone, we can likely access and copy your data to some backup medium.

Advertisements

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

The hard drive is still under warranty, is the best option just to cut my loses and get a new hard drive in, because even if we do manage to fix the boot loop the hard drive will always be dodgy. 

Would I be right in assuming that?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

We haven't categorically established that it is the hard drive. I was pointing it out as a possibility.

It is one possibility, but there could be a malware cause or some other sort of failure, other hardware or perhaps software conflict. It's just that when you asked about the Windows OS I thought I should raise the point that you might be needing a new hard drive so maybe not a good idea to jump to conclusions.

I suppose the question I would ask myself is, is there data on this machine that I need? If there isn't then I would see whether a format of the hard drive and re-installation of Windows would work. If it didn't then I would be thinking that there is some sort of hardware problem, maybe a toasted hard drive.

If you do have data you need to access then I would try the steps outlined at post 2 above to see what could be done by way of accessing/fixing the problem. :)

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I'm going to get a computer from a friend and at least try the things you mentioned in the 2nd post. I don't think there is any data I need to keep just lots of programmes i've spent hours downloading. I've got a friend that says he has a windows disc but its like one of the single use copies (is that a thing?). Does it matter? Can I still use his disc to reinstall windows and reformat the hard drive?

Thanks so, so much for all your help so far :)

Edited by Puddd, 18 August 2014 - 11:03 PM.

Puddd

Puddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hey uhhhh, I think there is an issue. The computer is now working. I just started it when I got home, went to repair the computer and it worked, the mouse and keyboard didn't disconnect. I ran a system recovery, got an unknown error saying it didn't work. I figured out it was still broken so I hit close, after I hit close the computer just boots up like normal, everything working. I'm currently trying to run a virus scan but it says 'There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper' or something like that.

What scans can I run to find out if this will happen again. Should I still do that Farbar Recovery Scan?

I'm not going to use the computer until I can confirm this won't happen again. 

Once again, thank you for all your help, Emeraldnzl :)

EDIT: Virus scan now working (not sure what I did), running full system scan, will get back with results (it's gonna take a while).

Edited by Puddd, 19 August 2014 - 01:21 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

EDIT: Virus scan now working (not sure what I did), running full system scan, will get back with results (it's gonna take a while).

Look forward to hearing how that goes. :)

What scans can I run to find out if this will happen again.

Assuming you can boot to normal mode please do this:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please also paste that into your reply.