Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any way to increase the speed?

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Downloading large files, especially videos requires several hours with XP Pro. What are some trusted internet downloaders to use that can effectively expedite the download process?

Edited by khazarian, 17 August 2014 - 01:00 AM.

Advertisements

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Downloading anything off the Internet mainly depends on your download speed your IP provides.

What is your speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Your computer hardware also has a lot to do with it, post your system specs so we can take a look

NB: Processor speed, amount and spec of Ram, HDD speed and amount of free storage space available on it, the type of internet connection + as mentioned above by DSTM the speed offered (what you pay for) by your ISP are all factors that need to be considered when looking at download times.

Testing the internet speed has been suggested to the OP at earlier topics btw DSTM (example) but alas no results provided  :(

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Testing the internet speed has been suggested to the OP at earlier topics btw DSTM (example) but alas no results provided  :(

Thanks for the heads up, Phill. Being new here I was unaware. :)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! DSTM

This is a no no, :oops:  but sense I know you from another forum, I think this is appropriate. GTG is a very friendly sight. We have some great people here helping our members with their issues. Mr. Phill is one good example of the kind of people here on GTG There are many more!

I would like to welcome you to GTG. I'm sure your knowledge will be welcomed and appreciated here on GTG.

Hey Mr. Phill! :wave:

donetao!

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I'll be switching ISPs next month because of a better plan; 4G vs EDGE and lower fee. I also wanna run Win7 Pro 64bit and still keep XP. I discovered it's possible to convert my present system to a virtual machine but could I run it through Win7? This is where I start to become lost.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Your computer hardware also has a lot to do with it, post your system specs so we can take a look

NB: Processor speed, amount and spec of Ram, HDD speed and amount of free storage space available on it, the type of internet connection + as mentioned above by DSTM the speed offered (what you pay for) by your ISP are all factors that need to be considered when looking at download times.

Hello!

And still no results provided. :no:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the heads up, Phill. Being new here I was unaware. :)

No problem DSTM, I was just making sure that you had as much information as possible to work with  :thumbsup:

Hello! DSTM

This is a no no, :oops:  but sense I know you from another forum, I think this is appropriate. GTG is a very friendly sight. We have some great people here helping our members with their issues. Mr. Phill is one good example of the kind of people here on GTG There are many more!

I would like to welcome you to GTG. I'm sure your knowledge will be welcomed and appreciated here on GTG.

Hey Mr. Phill! :wave:

donetao!

Hello Gary  :wave:

Yep speed test results and the computer specs would be most helpful  ;) 

I'll be switching ISPs next month because of a better plan; 4G vs EDGE and lower fee. I also wanna run Win7 Pro 64bit and still keep XP. I discovered it's possible to convert my present system to a virtual machine but could I run it through Win7? This is where I start to become lost.

As above, your computer hardware capabilities are equally as important as what your ISP can provide, old adage, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I ran speedtest and it showed download speed @ 0.126mbs and upload speed @ 0.013mbs. I'd been having serious difficulty installing flash player. Later I will provide hardware and system specs. I realize this is donated help time by generous people but my computer access is compromised.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

I ran speedtest and it showed download speed @ 0.126mbs and upload speed @ 0.013mbs. I'd been having serious difficulty installing flash player. Later I will provide hardware and system specs. I realize this is donated help time by generous people but my computer access is compromised.

That is painfully slow. Upload is always slower than download. Your speed brings me back to remembering the speed of dial up modems.

We still need your system specs, but I would start with a phone call to your ISP.

Find out what you are paying for, and what they are giving you.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No worries; I am dumping them for a different ISP.