Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Comparing Hardware (graphics card, and CPU). Radeon Series

Compare graphics card cpu help pls

• Please log in to reply

MJordan1

MJordan1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello, this is my first time posting, and if by any chance I'm in the wrong place / sub-forum, please let me know and I will correct it ASAP.

For a while now I've tried to determine what the difference between an HP Workstation is compared to a PC. I know that a workstation is designed to be run 24/7, have a high performance graphics card and processor, and is supposed to run some of the more impressive software out there for editing, and rendering.

But, can a Workstation be used just as a regular PC would?

Can a workstation be used for:

- Web Browsing / E-Mailing / Facebook

- Online banking / Online purchasing

- Playing games like World of Warcraft, or League of Legends, or games on Steam such as DoTa, Sims 3/4etc.

The reason I'm asking is my girlfriend is looking for a decent computer, that can run games on at least mid settings (in terms of graphics). The computer she currently has (the one Im using) is quite out-dated, and not well fit for gaming. 

This computer has: 

- AMD Quadcore A6-3620 Accelerated Processor

- 6GB of DDR 3 RAM

- AMD Radeon HD 6530D Discrete graphics card.

- 1TB of memory

And I was looking online for a good, and affordable gaming PC, who can run some of the games mentioned above well, but a lot of them out there are close to $800-1000 and that's a bit out of our price range. 

I saw online a HP Workshop computer for $350, with quite decent CPU and Graphics card, \

The HP Workshop computer has:

• XEON 2.80GHZ - CPU
  • 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD
  • No Screen
  • AMD Radeon HD 7770 - Graphics

So I was wondering, can an HP Workshop computer be used the same way a regular PC can? Like Web-browsing, E-Mailing, Online purchasing / banking, and most importantly gaming. And can the one with the hardware above be able to run games well?

Bonus Points!: It says "No Screen" does that mean it comes with no Monitor, or something else? Im thinking it means that it comes with no monitor, which is perfectly fine.

All comments and advise is welcome! Please help out a newby such as myself!

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

You might enjoy This discussion.

There is no official standard for a workstation. It totally depends on what the management of the company who provides workstations for their employees wants them to do. Extreme example: pro video and graphics company Apple workstations are the extreme of fast and stable. Workstations for employees who merely run spreadsheets, word processors, email and a couple of proprietary software utilities based on server database programs are very weak compared to the average home computer (generally). Comparatively few work stations have extreme graphics cards and high end CPUs.

This computer has: 

- AMD Quadcore A6-3620 Accelerated Processor

- 6GB of DDR 3 RAM

- AMD Radeon HD 6530D Discrete graphics card.

- 1TB of memory

I think that you mean "-1TB hard drive", (not memory). Your memory is the 6GB DDR3 RAM.

Just to make sure, >Please Go Here and download the free utility, Speccy, which is a system analyzer, and save to your desktop. You do not need to install it, it runs from the executable file. Click on it, allow a few seconds for it to finish. Then click File\Publish Snapshot. Click Yes, then Copy to Clipboard. In your next post add the link so we can take a look at what you have. At first glance, the computer you have is respectable.

Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Bonus Points!: It says "No Screen" does that mean it comes with no Monitor,

Yes. 

MJordan1

MJordan1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thank you for the responses! I read the discussion you posted "RanchHand3". From what i've researched, the graphics card, RAM, and CPU aren't bad, and seem like something a decent desktop computer may carry.

My biggest worry is if a HP Workstation can do the things a Desktop PC can. Like if I were to buy that Workstation, set it up with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Would I be able to start it up, and browse the web, or check my E-Mail? Maybe do some online banking / purchasing, and most importantly. Would I be able to buy, download, and play games on MID settings?

I am looking for a workstation to replace my desktop computer. I use it for average, everyday tasks. No CAD or Rendering software. Just browsing, Facebooking, gaming. Typically Workstations are very expensive, however the one I am looking at is $350, and seems to have as good specs as some $800+ Desktops

MJordan1

MJordan1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Does anyone know if a Workstation can do all of the things a regular Desktop PC can? And how well can it handle basic games like World of Warcraft, or League of Legends, Sims 4?

MJordan1

MJordan1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Im not extremely computer savy, and so I try to find as much help as possible online, to help me make the right decision.

I spoke with a representative from HP in regards to their computers, since I'm looking for an upgrade to mine.

They said the Radeon HD 8670D  is better than the Radeon HD 7770D.

And that the AMD Quad-Core A10-6700 APU is better than the AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 APU

Can someone who knows a bit more about graphics cards and CPUs tell me which one is better? 

My computer is old and moldy. It has:

AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 APU

AMD Radeon HD 6530D graphics card

(I'm assuming the Quad Core A10 is better than my A6 already, but I'm not sure about the graphics cards!)

Is the Radeon HD 8670D be better than the Radeon HD 7770D, and both be better than my crappy Radeon HD 6530D???

I use the PassMark Software Video Card benchmarks (http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html) and they state that the 7770D is better than the 8670D and 6530D. Would that be true?

Please let me know if the HD 8670D > HD 7770D > HD 6530D is correct!

Thanks for he help guys, really appreciated. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

To determine if the CPU is suitable you need the product ID. i.e. E3-1200 Product Family.

If it happened to be an older model and you had problems with the CPU or MB, a replacement may be expensive or not available. 

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi. PassMark tests are well respected so I would be guided by them.

I do a lot of Photoshop and find the Radeon HD 7800 much better than the HD 7700 series.

As far as CPU's go best to be guided by Benchmark tests.

Can you post your specs? please. Most likely your PSU wouldn't handle the extra wattage required.

A computer is only as strong as the weakest part.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Here is a page for raw Data on the CPUs, > http://www.cpu-world...es_A6-3620.html

Are you buying pre built HP workstation, or just upgrading the CPU?

What is the main usage for the computer?

MJordan1

MJordan1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello to the both of you, and thank you for replying!

I am looking to buy a pre-built computer.

Usage: Nothing serious, just the average everyday things. Web browsing, E-Mailing, Youtube / Facebook. But I also plan on doing a lot of gaming. Games such as World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Call of Duty, DoTa. They're not super serious games, I would just like to have a PC that can run those games on mid-high settings with 30FPS at least.

In regards to my computer. 

AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 Accelerated Processor

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6530D Discrete Graphics

6GB DDR3 RAM

1TB hard drive.

So as I mentioned, I don't plan on doing things like Rendering, or CAD, or editing software. Just looking for a pre-built PC that can handle games nicely, and looking to spend nothing more than $600. I was recommended a computer by the HP representative

http://www.shopping....-210-Desktop-PC

And it has a Radeon HD 8670D Graphics

My biggest question is, is the Radeon HD 8670D better than the Radeon HD 6530D? And where does the Radeon HD 7770D rank in between those?

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Mjordan....in reality, you are asking us to compare your computer against the workstation unit you are considering. Ok, no problem. What we need to answer you:

> The Speccy report I posted about in my first post for your present computer.

> The link to your workstation unit that you are considering so we can see the loadout on that computer.

Right now, we are all working in the dark because of lack of information. If you don't supply what we ask we can't help you. Note I didn't say we don't want to help you, we do; but we need information. Without that we are all spinning our wheels.

[EDIT]:  Mjordan, you have opened another thread in this forum referring to the same topic, so until this confusion is settled I am bowing out of this thread.

Edited by ranchhand3, 19 August 2014 - 07:40 AM.

MJordan1

MJordan1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Does anyone know if the Radeon HD 8670D is a better graphics card than the Radeon HD 6530D? I'm assuming it is, and it's ranked higher in the PassMark Benchmark tests, but I just want to confirm.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

The AMD Radeon HD 6530D in your existing rig is not a discrete (add on) video card, it is part of the CPU, (integrated and shares the system memory), and is the same type as in the linked HP, but is better performer.   The HP will give better gaming performance as well as being good for general workloads, that's all the other things you said you want.

Unfortunately, as with many Dell/HP type computers, $$ are saved by using a low powered PSU, in the HP case, 300w and will limit any upgrade path choice of a add on video card if you find some games don't play nice. 

My biggest question is, is the Radeon HD 8670D better than the Radeon HD 6530D?  YES.

And where does the Radeon HD 7770D rank in between those? better,but need the new Kaveri-based APUs 

It is not possible to give a direct comparison solely between the video cards, only between the processor types and the speed they run at.   

http://wccftech.com/...ance-previewed/

An alternative would be to consider keeping your existing computer and add a GTX 750/750i video card, > http://www.newegg.co...orce GTX 750 Ti

What PSU and Motherboard do you have?