Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden flames from AC laptop charger adapter

acer laptop sudden flames ac adaptor fire

• Please log in to reply

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Hi all,

I wanted to know if the laptop charger can be left connected to the power socket without the laptop connected to the DC connector. I dozed off on my bed and woke up feel a burning feeling on my right arm. I woke up started and found my blanket on fire due to flames at the AC connector. It was burning like anything and the pen stand near it melted down. The fire was so intense that it charred the metal case of a kit. It all happened suddenly. I don't have a single clue why and how this happened.

The cable is not faulty, the adapter either. I never saw any problem with this until now. The ends near the connectors melted down and they are out of shape. Strange thing is the main MCP, may be I should call it circuit breaker fell and the power went off. It just kept tripping until I switched off the laptop adaptor and took it off from the socket. I am really scared. :help:

Should I turn off the spike too when not in use? May be I should have confirmed all this before I started using them. Also please tell me if I can use the adapter by fixing it. I can't get the replacement charger immediately, so please suggest any work around if any.

PS: The machine is Acer laptop bought some 3 years ago.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by b0bl335wa663r, 20 August 2014 - 12:39 AM.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Bob!

Wow ! I'm glad your OK. I leave my Toshiba plugged into the AC adapter all the time. That's scary. I have a surge protector.

I doubt if the adapter can be fixed. I have never heard of any thing like this.

Glad your OK

donetao!

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Thank you donetao, I was really freaked out yesterday. I'm still wondering how did it start. I never had any problems with it like getting disconnected or breaks in the wire.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Bob!

That is very scary! I don't know. I'm just glad your OK. I wish I had a answer for you???
donetao!

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi. There is no work around but to replace the Adaptor.

Earth leakage trip switches are for a reason.

You were lucky. How you didn't fry your laptop with increased Voltage amazes me.

I would not use the Laptop till the Adaptor is replaced.

If you are resetting the trip switch, DON'T.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Hello Bob!
That is very scary! I don't know. I'm just glad your OK. I wish I had a answer for you???
donetao!

No problem donetao, I too felt the same. Thank god, I didn't end up in a hospital.

Hi. There is no work around but to replace the Adaptor.
Earth leakage trip switches are for a reason.
You were lucky. How you didn't fry your laptop with increased Voltage amazes me.
I would not use the Laptop till the Adaptor is replaced.
If you are resetting the trip switch, DON'T.

I did not connect it to the laptop, may be that saved the machine. Yeah, I'm postin from my android phone now. I'm searching for the replacement adapter and all I have found until now is those fake chinese ones. Perhaps I should check with Acer mall. I tested the blown adapter again in the store room of my friend. It fumed again at the same point melting down the plastic around it.

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Reading your first post again, maybe having the adaptor in bed may have overheated and stuffed it, if it didn't have proper ventilation.

That's most likely the cause in my opinion.I have never seen an adaptor overheat under normal conditions.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

If I can add a little more as a once qualified electrician (Now retired) The safest thing to do with that now melted adapter is cut the leads off from both sides of it and then drop it into a scrap bin.

Ideally a correct replacement direct from the manufacturer or authorised dealer, however a second best is one that has the same or higher wattage and current ratings. The output voltage must be the same though.

Nev.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Reading your first post again, maybe having the adaptor in bed may have overheated and stuffed it, if it didn't have proper ventilation.
That's most likely the cause in my opinion.I have never seen an adaptor overheat under normal conditions.

That is the most reasonable thing I can think of for now. The adapter never heated up in normal conditions.

Edited by b0bl335wa663r, 20 August 2014 - 10:55 PM.

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I was just looking on EBAY for a replacement Adaptor.

They are quite reasonably priced.

Advertisements

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

If I can add a little more as a once qualified electrician (Now retired) The safest thing to do with that now melted adapter is cut the leads off from both sides of it and then drop it into a scrap bin.

Ideally a correct replacement direct from the manufacturer or authorised dealer, however a second best is one that has the same or higher wattage and current ratings. The output voltage must be the same though.

Nev.

Thanks for the suggestion Nev. I would dispose it like you suggested. The local authorised dealer says the 65w ones are out of stock and can't procure one until next week. So I purchased Universal Notebook adapter from Huntkey with 8 tips which support several other laptops. But I find it a little warmer than my original adapter.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I was just looking on EBAY for a replacement Adaptor.
They are quite reasonably priced.

Many others feel they are lookalikes of the original ones. I never purchased from ebay, so I relied on others opinions. Thanks for the research though. :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi if this new addapter seems to be getting a bit warmer than the old one did, can you look at the label on this new adapter please and let us know what the rating is?

As an example the label on mine says 19V------6.3A

19 volts is pretty much standard for laptop adapters, the important one is the amps, as in my case it say 6.3A That means it is capable of 120 watts (The true maths result is actually 119.7 which is near enough)

Let us know please what it says on yours so we can compare it with what the spec for the laptop is supposed to be. We know you said it is an Acer, but which model number please.

And a quick edit, when the laptop is not in use, disconnect the adapter from the power socket, don't want this one attempting to fry you.

Also, if you look underneath the laptop at the main Acer label, it may show you the power requirements on that label, (My Acer shows it to be 19v -- 4.3A)

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 21 August 2014 - 09:29 AM.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Hi if this new addapter seems to be getting a bit warmer than the old one did, can you look at the label on this new adapter please and let us know what the rating is?

As an example the label on mine says 19V------6.3A

19 volts is pretty much standard for laptop adapters, the important one is the amps, as in my case it say 6.3A That means it is capable of 120 watts (The true maths result is actually 119.7 which is near enough)

Let us know please what it says on yours so we can compare it with what the spec for the laptop is supposed to be. We know you said it is an Acer, but which model number please.

And a quick edit, when the laptop is not in use, disconnect the adapter from the power socket, don't want this one attempting to fry you.

Also, if you look underneath the laptop at the main Acer label, it may show you the power requirements on that label, (My Acer shows it to be 19v -- 4.3A)

Nev.

The readings from old one are:

Input : 100-240V~1.6A(1,6A) 50-60Hz

Output : 19V___3.42A(3,42A) -o+ 65 W

The new one has the following:

Input : 100-240V~1.5A  50-60Hz

Output : 19V___3.42A  -o+ 65 W

Sure Nev, I'm really scared after the mini blast and I'm really handling the power cords with utmost care unknowingly. :upset:

The laptop is Acer 5733Z and the label under my laptop says 19V---3.42.

Thanks, :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

HI Bob, that is fine, the new one as you can see is exactly the same as the old one and also is correct for the laptop. Just be careful of keeping the power unit in free air to prevent overheating and you should be OK.

Unless I know the battery needs topping up, I always make sure it is disconnected from the mains when not in use as even when the laptop is off, and the battery fully charged, it is still drawing some power and adding that little bit extra to your months end power bill. Even if it isn't that much, why throw money at those greedy supply companies, they get enough as it is. :D

Nev.