Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help choosing a graphics card upgrade for my PC.

Graphics card Upgrade Update PC Desktop Help

• Please log in to reply

BobbyChav

BobbyChav

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have an older PC, and would like to improve it's performance when gaming. Nothing too intense, just some simple games, and would like to have an FPS of 30+ when running on Mid graphical settings.

My PC specs:

HP Pavilion p6-2120

AMD Quad-core A6-3620 Accelerated Processor

6GB of DDR3 Ram

AMD Radeon HD 6530D Discrete graphics.

I know certain information regarding the power supply is important, however I'm not too computer savy, so I hope any information you may need can be found here: 

http://h10025.www1.h...ct=5192525#N101

I want to upgrade my graphics card to something better. 

I was looking at the XFX HD-667X-CDF3 Radeon HD 6670 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 Video Card found here: 

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150712

Can my PC run that video card? And the PassMark benchmark rankes it higher than my current 6530D graphics card, would it be a definite improvement?

And I am welcome to any recommendations you may have. My budget is $100-150. And I thought the one listed above would be a good idea.

Questions: Can my PC run that graphics card without a problem?

Will I see a definite improvement? Any recommendations?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

:welcome:      BobbyChav

The present 300W PSU is a limiting factor as most if not all mid range cards require 350W or more + it is not just the minimum wattage of the PSU that is important but also the amount of amps that are on the +12V rail, not meaning to try and baffle you only explain that there are other things to consider, the amount of room that you have inside the case is another, please see my canned text below;

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;

Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.

What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

Having checked the computer specs I can say that most good quality brand PSUs will fit your case so I suggest that you upgrade the present PSU to a bronze rated 450/500W PSU before fitting any add on video card, this we can also help you with.

BobbyChav

BobbyChav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the response! 

I took a look at some power supply units, for the specs mentioned above, would this PSU work for my computer?

EVGA 500 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 500W Active PFC ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.91 3 Year Warranty 100-B1-0500-KR Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817438012

And just going back to my original question. Would I be able to upgrade my current graphics card with the one mentioned above? Would I be able to upgrade it without getting the PSU upgrade as well? Or if I get the PSU upgrade, would the graphics card work then?

And also, if the PSU isn't a good fit for my computer, can you recommend one between $50-100? I have about $150 to spend on all of this and I still need to purchase a graphics card

BobbyChav

BobbyChav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Any comments?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

The Evga is a good PSU and at a reasonable price.

As to your original question please re-read my reply #2 highlighted points, you need to check how much space you have inside the case, the motherboard is the smaller ultra ATX type so you will need to do a physical check.

Any comments?

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) .

I am in the UK so may be in a different time zone to you  + none of us can be here  24/7 due to other commitments such as family and work, please give us a chance to reply and not bump your topic.