Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recent installation project

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I've just completed installing Win7 Pro x64 on a new SSD and burned a repair disk. Now I want undertake the operation of running my XP Pro x86 system as a guest machine. Do you think it will fly or not?

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, do you mean connect the XP computer as a part of a network?

Then yes it will connect however not in the Windows 7 Home Group, it will only work as a part of a network.

How do you intend connecting the two? Via the router is the simplest, even if wireless.

Nev.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

What I had in mind was to run Win7 as the host machine and have XP_SP3  converted to be the guest OS under vmware workstation.  

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Sure, should work fine. You want to convert your XP to a VDM I think.

I found this: http://www.techrepub...-8-with-vmware/

It's written for Windows 8 but should be the same for Windows 7.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
That's precisely my intent plus I found that same website to use as my guide in this adventure. I'll try to keep you posted on my progress.
I think I'm slightly happy to be running Win7 x64 where I am able to elevate the system ram from 4gb to 16bg.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Oh-oh sports fans..., Windows update is causing a glitch. After rebooting, I get a black screen. Same if I hit restart. Shutdown sends me to safemode. After I press shutdown in safemode, It reboots back into windows normally. How do I fix this problem? I will run Fabar later tonight and post the results. Right now I'm working and posting from my smartphone.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

When booting after entering and exitIng safemode, I get the splash screen that shows, "Failure configuring Windows updates.  Riverting changes. DO NOT TURN OFF COMPUTER."

Should I perhaps try installing these updates in safe mode? There are about 133 of them.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, this is a problem with installing a fresh Windows with a disk first made some time since.

Make sure you have Windows updates set to manual, you will then get the list of all available updates, remove all the ticks except a small batch of say five of the earliest dated, and allow it to download and install them,

If that is OK, then install another five, it will make it a little easier to identify which one is causing problems doing the updates in small batches.

Sorry though that it will take some time to do.

Nev.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Computer won't enter sleep modej it shuts down instead. Then pressing the power on button produces BSOD. I am forced to turn off the PSU to shut it down. When I press the mobo power button it boots into windows. Something is definitely haywire and I'm stymied again. I never had this with 32 bit OSes.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See here: Microsoft asks users to uninstall patch causing BSOD

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Well, I am receiving a BLACK screen not a blue one. It very likely is related to the AMD 1gb graphics cards(2) configured for Crossfire and outdated firmware. I downloaded the appropriate FW and will flash it to both cards later tonight. But I remember I did this when the cards were running under XP 32 bit. Should I have to do it again for Win 7 x64?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No, you should not have to do it again.

Might be worth trying what the link suggested for the BSOD even though that is not what you are seeing. They could be related.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Last night I noticed windows message on the desktop saying "This copy of Windows not genuine." This will prevent any updates ffrom being installed. How can I remove the message?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to activate it if you have not already done so previously.

Where did you get the DVD you installed Windows 7 with? Where di you get the install key?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I installed the system with a Dell reinstall disk I bought on ebay for $30. There was NO install key.

Edited by khazarian, 25 August 2014 - 09:00 PM.