Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying new speakers

• Please log in to reply

XenThazor

XenThazor

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi, I am looking for new set of speakers. I can't now decide for what should I go, if 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1.

Until now (for many years) I have used only headphones so I really don't know much about speakers. Right now I am using Razer tiamat (http://www.razerzone...azer-tiamat-71) with its 7.1 audio. I want the speakers for the same things like my headphones and that is: gaming, movies and music (EDM).
From what I've read people say that 2.1 is for music better since most of music is made for 2.1, and for movies and some games is better 5.1. And 7.1 is just too much and not worth the money.
I don't know how it's with speakers, but my 7.1 headphones are better than many 2.1 that I have listened to. For gaming, movies and music as well.

After all the discusions I have read I would now probably go with 5.1 speakers. But now I don't know if I should buy some preset or 1 by 1 (Subwoofer from some label, center from another, ...) and if it should be home theatre or just pc speakers. And I also don't know for what too look exactly (what features). But even tho I am not any pro and I don't know well speakers I still am a bit audiophile.

BTW my budget is about 550$ and I can't build speakers by my self.

Thanks for all the comments. Every help is welcomed.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi XenThazor,

Could you list your PC specs, plus the type of sound card you have on this system.

Is it integrated or PCI slot card, what type of connections are on the back inputs/outputs.

I feel 5.1 is sufficent for speakers.

XenThazor

XenThazor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi jds63,
I have:
I have windows 7  64 bit
8GB Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU   Q8300 2.50 GHz
Graphic card Nvidia GTX 560
And I have external sound card Sweex SC016 that is made for 7.1 audio, so there are Headphones, Line-in, Front, Surround, Center/bass, Back inputs/outputs and from side is mic input/output.

I hope it's all you want to know.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi XenThazor,

Thanks.

Well just thinking you do not need to spend $550. for decent speakers. Maybe if you were talkig a Home Theater system for  a TV.

If you really want these are rated well as 5.1  http://www.logitech....em-z906?crid=47

I have a lower end pair of Logitech's  that i like for music,movies and games sounds good, an internal Creative Sound Blaster card. Sound card is what really makes the big difference also.

Differences in 5.1 and 7.1.  5.1 is 6 speakers and 7.1 is 8 Speakers.

A 7.1 channel system incorporates all the elements of a 5.1 channel system, but instead of combining both surround and rear channel effects into two channels, a 7.1 system splits the surround and rear channel information into four channels. In other words, side sound effects and ambience are directed to left and right surround channels, and the rear sound effects and ambience are directed to two rear or back channels. In this set-up the surround speakers are set to the side of the listening position and the rear or back channels are placed behind the listener.

Just do not think that it might be worth spending that much with that particular USB Sound card, but that is up to you. You do have a lot of jacks on this type of card, not a to great SNR Ratio on this card.

Thinking of buying good quality speakers for sound, might be need for a better type of internal sound card.

Speakers that are not meant to be used for PC may have different types of jacks, like composite and or different arrangements, also may come with an Amp.

Now i personally do not know of many 7.1 Speakers to recommend you, i also had a hard time with this, there is Logitech and Creative for PC's these days and not many are rated that good.

Check some Home Theater type places online, see what you can find may work through hookups you have, sure they will cost price range you are looking for.

Edited by jds63, 21 August 2014 - 06:32 PM.

XenThazor

XenThazor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks for your post, you are another person who recommended me those Logitech speakers. I was almost surely decided to buy them but I wanted to know opinion from another source and since you recommended me those too :D I will buy those. They are highly rated by people so it's decided. Thanks a lot for your help.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

XenThazor,

Your Welcome, not many good manufacturers for PC speakers these days, seems the two, Logitech and Creative.

Logitech gets better ratings. I like these too, it was a bit over my budget, but maybe one day.

I just felt it was not matched too well for your Sound card, but that was your decision to make.

We are here for help and advice.