Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sims 2 launcher not working

Sims2 Games software Help

• Please log in to reply

mldalton84

mldalton84

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi,

So I have the Sims2 double deluxe game pack on my HP, which is running Windows 7. I've had the game as long as I've had the computer, which was purchased in 2009. Two weeks ago I noticed the launcher began freezing when trying to load, and last week it started giving me an error message. The first time it did it was immediately following a scheduled windows update, so I uninstalled the updates and it ran fine. Last Wednesday it did the same thing, only now the launcher loads with a blank window in the bottom stating that the page can't be loaded, then the launch window closes itself.

I also have SimCity 4 and it has no problem loading, so I'm at a loss. My game and all of its expansion packs are authentic and I have all of their install CDs, but the game won't load no matter which pack and CD I try to use. If anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome as this is my favorite game.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Two weeks ago I noticed the launcher began freezing when trying to load, and last week it started giving me an error message.

Could you post the exact error message please?

Did you try running the launcher as an administrator? Maybe running it could be useful to use the compability troubleshooter.

And make sure to follow this topic so you receive notifications when someone replies. This can be done via the "Follow this topic" button in the top right of this page.

Xeni

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I get a message saying "The Sims 2 game Launcher has quit working"

If I click close or X, the game closes completely. Sometimes I can get it to begin loading, but it eventually stalls during the intro, requiring me to force shut-down with the ctrl+alt+delete.

I attempted to resolve this problem, but now I'm having a second problem due to an alleged fix, so it is taking me a minute to respond. Please be patient with me. I am serious about resolving this issue, but due to the new problem, I have to fix that before I can troubleshoot this one.

Thanks for your snappy response.  :spoton: It is greatly appreciated.

Once I get my PC fixed, I'll copy and paste the exact image from the screen.

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I attempted to resolve this problem, but now I'm having a second problem due to an alleged fix, so it is taking me a minute to respond.

I'm not quite sure if I understand you right, but do you think that you got infected? If so, feel free to start a new topic here.

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I do not think my computer is infected with a virus.

To clarify, my initial problems with the game began after Windows completed an automatic update on 07/27/2014. Immediately following the updates, I began having problems getting the game to load properly. Afterwards I did a system restore to undo the updates. For a while, that allowed me to play the game. However, when the updates reinstalled on 8/10/2014, the problem got worse, as in the game would not load at all and the launcher began stalling during the intro.

I tried to fix the system by doing a Restore again, but instead it has messed up my system completely. I can't open an internet explorer window, Sims2 or any applications.

As I attempt to fix my PC, I was hoping someone could advise me on how to fix the Sims game as well.

BTW, I have a second post on the system restore issue and I am receiving assistance.

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Ok, I guess it might be a good idea to first fix your PC and then take a look at Sims 2. I followed your other topic, so I'll be notified if your problem will be fixed. Maybe fixing your PC will fix your Sims 2 problem simultaniously.

Xeni

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Xeni,

Okay, so my PC is running decently now, but in the few short seconds I was online, windows update downloaded Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320.

As soon as I saw it downloading I tried to shut down the computer, but it didn't work. When I restarted my PC, all of my applications worked except my Sims 2, so I think this is the update that is messing up my PC. If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

mldalton84

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Sorry for delay.

When exactly do you receive the message "The Sims 2 game Launcher has quit working"?

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Xeni,

Well what happens right now is I double click on the Sims 2 launcher and it acts like it is going to load, but it never does. It plays the standard Sims 2 intro with the sims dancing around and such, however, it stalls before the communities load.

Before the update loaded, the program loaded fine. After the update downloaded the game started stalling as described above.

Thanks for the continued assistance :spoton:

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Oh god, I totally forgot about you :oops:

My semester just started and I read your post, but had no time to reply. Meh. Sorry for that. If you see that I was online, but didn't reply, simply PM me.

I found two things which I want you to try:

First option:

1. Rightclick the Sims 2 icon which you usually use to open Sims 2
  2. Open file location
  3. There should be a file called Sims2SP4.exe, try opening it. It should simply start the game without using the launcher
  4. If there's is no file called Sims2SP4.exe, please make a screenshot of the Sims 2 folder and attach it

Second option:

1. Disable your internet connection
  2. Start Sims 2 as usual

Let me know if this helps. I'll go on researching, but it's quite hard to find a solution because EA does no longer support Sims 2. That's why there won't be any fix for that problem.

Thank you all so much for your continued assistance,  iammykyl, Jared44 , and Xeni if she is still following this.

Does "Xeni" really sound female? :D
Well, I'm male and originally it's "Xenu", but that nick was already taken :upset:

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Does "Xeni" really sound female? :D
Well, I'm male and originally it's "Xenu", but that nick was already taken :upset:

Thank you all so much for your continued assistance,  iammykyl, Jared44 , and Xeni if she is still following this.

LOL, I am so sorry. I am just a huge fan of Xeni Jardin  a  weblogger I follow occasionally. She's really cool, so I thought you were a fan. Sorry for the mistake. :oops:

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

No problem :spoton:

Did you try my recommendations out?

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Xeni,

Sorry for the delay in my response.

I followed your suggestions, steps 1 & 2.

For suggestion 1, I had a file labeled Sims2SP8.exe not Sims2SP4.exe, but it worked.

Is there a reason my file would be named something different?

As for suggestion 2, it worked as well, which is unusual since I usually don't play Sims with the internet connection disconnected. My original problem occurred despite my internet connection being disconnected... Oh well.

Which method do you suggest using in the future for continued use?

Thanks for the solution.

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Is there a reason my file would be named something different?

To be honest: I don't know the answer :D

Which method do you suggest using in the future for continued use?

I guess the most comfortable method would be the first one:

1. Rightclick the Sims 2 icon which you usually use to open Sims 2
  2. Open file location
  3. Search the file called Sims2SP8.exe and rightclick it
  4. Use Send to --> Desktop (create shortcut) to create a desktop shortcut for Sims 2
  5. Delete the original Sims 2 shortcut from your desktop and, if you want to, rename the new Sims 2 shortcut

Thanks for the solution.

I'm glad that I was able to help you :spoton: