Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! System restore messed up my computer (Solved)

Windows 7 system restore

• Please log in to reply

mldalton84

mldalton84

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi,

Sorry to mislead anyone, but I am very well aware that system restore didn't mess up my computer, it was user error, :oops: so please don't post any smart-alecky responses. I am a person in need of assistance, so please be nice.  

My HP which is running Windows 7 automatically downloaded updates last Wednesday and afterwards my Sims 2 game quit working. (It was showing a EULA problem-another issue for another post).

In an attempt to correct the problem, I did a system restore to the previous date. I planned to reinstall the updates individually so I could see which one was causing the problem. 

Well...after windows completed the system restore, everything went to pot. My internet won't open a window nor will my Sims game open. The only files I can open are my documents. I tried to undo the system restore, I tried to undo it in safe mode, but now I'm getting an error stating that system restore could not complete. I'm terrified to try anything else ,and all of my research keeps suggesting I use the recovery partition or Windows CD to start over, but I really don't want to do anything that drastic. I have most of my install cds, but not all of them as I purchased the computer will all of the programs on it back in 2009.

Is there anyway to go back in time and undo the mistake I made? I just want my computer to function again. I will figure out the Sims 2 problem later.

Please, please PLEASE help.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back mldalton84.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, without Networking.

Disable all/any Anti virus programs, including Windows essential/defender.

Pick a restore Point before any failed ones.

any good? 

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Just one question. What if the only restore points it gives are ones that I have already tried and ended failed? Will trying them in safe mode without networking and with the anti-virus disabled make them work?

If not, is there a way to find older restore dates?

Thanks for the quick response!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The only way to tell is to try them. It's possible that one or more may work since you have a lot less stuff running in Safe Mode.

Worth trying.

As for older restore points, there are none. System Restore shows you all available.

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi,

I restarted in Safe Mode, but I was unable to disable the anti-virus. (I run Norton 360). I was unable to access the program via the desktop icon, right clicking it and through the control panel. None of those methods allowed me to open Norton or disable it. I also tried to uninstall it completely, but that failed as well.

I ran Restore anyway, but it didn't work.

I got the error message: System Restore failed to extract the file (C:/) from the Restore point. An unspecified error occurred during Restore. (0x8000ffff).

Again, thanks for the quick response. :spoton:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been doing some more research, so for the moment, ignore instructions in reply #2.

If you tried a restore, and it failed, no alterations will have taken place.   If you tried a restore, and a restore point was created but things got worse, you can undo those settings by selecting the option Undo My Last Restoration.   

please try the following.

As you have already entered safe mode previouly, this step may not work, but still worth a try.

Restart the computer, > as soon as the HP Logo has flashed up, start pressing F8, in the window that opens, > select Last Known Good Configuration, > press Enter

If this makes any alterations, please post back and don't do the next step.   If no alterations, carry on. 

Can you boot to the desktop and get to System Restore?  If yes, select, > Undo My Last Restoration. follow the prompts and post back.

Edit.

Sorry Folks, left the desk for a while, then posted with refreshing. 

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I have tried to undo my last restoration several times. It says it can not complete that action as well. I will try to use the Last Known Good Configuration tonight.

Thank you

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If the Last Know Good fails.

Download the Norton Removal Tool and save to he Desktop. > https://support.nort...erProfile_en_us

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, without Networking.

Disable all/any Anti virus programs, including Windows essential/defender.

Run the Norton Removal too, follow the prompts, restart the computer, 

Again, Restart the computer in Safe Mode, without Networking

Pick a restore Point before any failed ones.

any good? 

Note, if successful, you are running with Anti Virus, reinstall Norton or a free one. 

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I downloaded the Norton Removal Tool to a USB from my laptop and ran it on my PC (Internet Explorer not working on PC).

Norton was successfully removed, but Restore still failed with the same error message (0x8000ffff) on all Restore points.

Removal and Restores were all completed in safe mode without networking.

Thanks for your continued assistance in resolving my problem.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

We can see if there are any file errors and atampt a repairs.

Please restart the computer in Safe Mod, with Command prompt.

at the blinking curser, copy and paist the bolded text chkdsk C: /r > press enter. 

If you are prompted to restrt, click Y then enter.

If there are unfixed errors reported in the generated log, please let us know.

There is an option to do a restore in safe mode, but only as a last resort as once done, it cannot be undone. 

Advertisements

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

According to the log that flashed at the end of the check, there were no problems listed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Restart the computer in safe mode.

at the run box, type  services.msc  > click OK.

Look down the list for Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service.

Make sure it is started and set to Automatic.  See if System Restore will work.

Have you got your Data backed up?

Do you have CCCleaner installed? have you used it to clean up the Registry?

Trying to find a simple solutions before trying more complicated fixes for error message (0x8000ffff) 

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

sorry to bother you, but what/where is the brun box?

My data is backed up using Norton online.

I do not have CCCleaner installed.  Do I need it?

I appreciate the continued effort. As long as you are willing to offer assistance, I am willing to try.

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

He had a typo. It's "run box" :D

Simply press your Windows key and r key simultaneously and it pops up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Xeni :yes:  :thumbsup: , now corrected.

I appreciate the continued effort. As long as you are willing to offer assistance, I am willing to try

Your welcome, and I have been taking the pills, so can go for a long time.

No, you do not need CCCleaner, I hate it and am pleased you don't have it installed.

Will wait for services result.