Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! System restore messed up my computer (Solved)

Windows 7 system restore

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have been following posts about a August Windows Update that could have been the cause of the problems you are having.   Until a couple of days ago, Microsoft did not have a fix, but supposable there is one now.

This gives some info about the issue, > http://www.infoworld...-2975719-249663

This info is about the fix. > http://support.micro....com/kb/2975719

Please let us know the state of your system now and do not make any alterations or perform updates at the moment. 

Advertisements

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Okay, I tried the services list. The setting was listed as off, so I started it and set it to automatic.

Then I tried a system restore.

It failed with the same error message as before.

I read the two articles you posted in your latest post. They both seem to be applicable to Windows 8, but I am running Windows 7...

Could there be a conflict with the download since I am running an older OS than the update required?

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Okay, weird thing just happened. My system restore completed with the error message as before, but I just checked my internet explorer to see if it would allow me to download the fix if you said it was necessary. Miraculously, it opened! :unsure:

I don't know how or why it is working now, but it is.

I would still like to get my system restore fixed in case something happens in the future and also because I don't know if this is a fluke or not.

I am still not going to put the PC online for more than a few seconds because I have not reinstalled the antivirus. Once you give me the okay, I will do that.

Also to Xemi, my Sims 2 is working again as well...

Edited by mldalton84, 07 September 2014 - 09:11 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's good news.   I have read of the miracle fix happening on other computers that have your problem, even though System Restore posts an error, a restore was actually set.  Plase do the following, in the order given, and if any problems at any step, stop and post back. 

Do this check again. In  the run box, type  services.msc  > click OK.

Look down the list for Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service.

Make sure it is started and set to Automatic. ??

In  the run box, type firewall.cpl

Ensure Windows Firewall is turned on.

In  the run box, type rstrui  > In the System Restore window that opens, > click Create. ??

Download and install Microsoft Security Essential so your computer is secure, you can reinstall Norton when we have finished. > http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201

Download and install Malwarebytes, run a full scan, > https://www.malwarebytes.org/

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I will do this first thing when I get off work. Thanks! :yes:

Also, I have a related question. In the five seconds I was online an update downloaded onto my PC. It was the Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320.

I tried to stop it by shutting the PC down before it finished, but it did not work.

I quickly restarted my PC to see what had happened and saw this update. It was the only one to download automatically, and I really don't know why it did that because my update settings are set to only download and install them when I choose.

Is it possible this is the culprit of my PC problem? :headscratch:

So far, all of my  applications work except my Sims 2 game. That was where my problems began in the first place and why I tried the system restore that began the problems...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just a guess here, the update might have been the fix for the botched updates that may have caused your problem.  Now, for how the update occurred with the way you have your update set, (like mine), I have noooo idea.   :idea: Happen the conspiracy freaks could tell us  :alarm:

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Sorry for the delay, here is an update:

The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service is started and set on automatic.

Windows Firewall could not be started. I received the error as follows:

The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restarting the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9

I did not follow through to the next steps as this seemed to be necessary prior to moving forward. I am not sure how to troubleshoot the error above. If you can help me with that, then I will be happy to continue the process you recommended.

Thanks,

mldalton84

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Do you have Norton still installed?

What anti virus programs do you have installed?

If you're still receiving system restore errors then this hotfix should work.

http://support.micro....com/kb/2732500

I'll be honest here, Windows Update errors are out of my specialty so I might not be the best for the job.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks Jared44 for answering my request to take a look at the topic.   I think we will save the System Restore fix for later, if not working but first get a firewall up.

mldalton84, Please ignore the steps in reply #19 and do the following.

In  the run box,copy and paste the bolded text, services.msc  > click OK.

From the list of services, > double click on Windows Firewall, > if not set, >  change the startup type to Automatic, > click Start > click OK. > click close.

Check it is running. 

1. Click Start, > click Control Panel.

2. Click Security Centre, check if the Firewall status is ON.
3. If Firewall status is OFF, then > click Windows Firewall in the left pane of the window and adjust the settings.

Create a manual system restore point.   If creating a restore point fails, stop and post back. 

In the run box, copy and paste the bolded text, sfc /scannow > click OK. 

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello,

Sorry for the delay. work has been unusually hectic. Here is a status update.

As requested, I ignored the remaining steps listed in post # 19.

I resumed with the steps posted in post #24

In a run box, I typed in services.msc  to check on Windows Firewall.

According to that list, Windows Firewall is active and it is started with an automatic startup setting.

Then I checked the Windows Firewall settings in the Security Center.

According to that section, Windows Firewall is active and everything is set.

I created a System Restore point as directed. It was successfully created.

Finally, in a run box, I typed the command sfc /scannown .

The only action that followed was the brief flashing of a black run box/dialog box...Is that the correct action?

Thank you all so much for your continued assistance,  iammykyl, Jared44 , and Xeni if she is still following this.

P.S. I still have not reinstalled Norton, so Windows Firewall is the only thing protecting my computer. As such, I am using my laptop to communicate with you all until I am certain my PC is fully functional and safely protected. :)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:oops:  :blush: There was a typo in my instructions for sfc, which is now corrected, my apologies.   As system Restore is now working, do not do the sfc step.

Is you Norton software a paid version?  do you want to reinstall it? or use Microsoft Security Essential so your computer is secure, > http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5201

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I personally don't recommend using Norton at all. It's a resource hog which is a good enough reason not to use it. You also wouldn't believe the amount of BSOD cases I've seen from Norton/Symantec.
If I personally was to recommend an anti virus program that was paid I would suggest either Bullguard or ESET.
Nevertheless, I still recommend MSE overall.

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi, sorry to take so long to reply again.

My Norton is a paid version. The subscription doesn't run out until Feb 2015.

Just to make sure I am following your advice, you would suggest that I use Microsoft Security Essentials to protect my PC instead of reinstalling my Norton?

Is this free and can I use the link posted above to obtain that?

Also, does this mean my PC is essentially repaired, minus the antivirus?

Thanks,

Mldalton84

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

MSE is free and that is what I use now and recommend.   Download it from the link and use for a month and if not happy, reinstall Norton. 

How is the computer running now, any further issues?   We might do a little clean up of your system before declaring, solved.

mldalton84

mldalton84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Sorry for the delay. Everything you told me to do worked and the PC is up and running again. Thank you so much for your help.