Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing second SSD

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I am going to install a second SSD to use just for games.

I wanted to make sure i have this correct, after plugging in the new drive and booting up the PC.

I need to go to Disk Management look for the New SSD and right-click, then select "new simple volume," follow the wizard to format the drive.

I know i can name it and change it to which ever Drive letter is available that i want to use, most likely be D: .

Just wanted to know if this was the correct steps. My original OS SSD is using UEFI and GPT style, but i know i do not need to have this one GPT, otherwise i have to reinstall everything (OS), i read it can run legacy (MBR) style.

Edited by jds63, 20 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes you have it right, but a couple of points.

After installing the drive, boot into the BIOS, check the new drive is seen and the C: drive is still the first Boot drive.

Most likely, the D: drive is already the optical drive, so if you want to use the D letter, you will need to use disk management first to give the optical drive a different letter, then work on the new SSD. 

http://www.sevenforu...ve-windows.html

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes you have it right, but a couple of points.

After installing the drive, boot into the BIOS, check the new drive is seen and the C: drive is still the first Boot drive.

Most likely, the D: drive is already the optical drive, so if you want to use the D letter, you will need to use disk management first to give the optical drive a different letter, then work on the new SSD. 

http://www.sevenforu...ve-windows.html

O.k. thanks i thought so did same with a HDD before,just wanted to make sure.

Believe using the right SATA Cable on my system for it should make it the second device, right now C: is 0, next cable should be 1.

Had this issue once before had to switch around the cables. I will double check it in BIOS,but upon boot it should show it to be right or wrong.

Made my optical drive E: because i knew i was buying another SSD in the coming weeks after my first one.

Yes i am famliar with changing assigning drive letters. Brink's very knowledgeable guy, know him from eight-forums.TY

What happened to you on my other posts ?

Edited by jds63, 20 August 2014 - 10:54 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

What happened to you on my other posts ?

Which post would that be?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

http://www.geekstogo...gine-interface/

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:oops:  sorry, replied now. 

You OK now with the SSD procedure? 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes, except someone else is suggesting i use UEFI GPT since i used it on the operating system SSD i already have installed. Some say i can use MBR Legacy or GPT, but i do not see a way to use GPT or to set it that way.

I would be fine MBR since it will only be used for games mostly.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Only ever considered GPT with regard to drives over 2TB, so thought I better get up to speed.

After reading a number of articles, I will in future use GPT, where the BIOS supports EFI and the OS is compatible.

http://www.maketeche...en-mbr-and-gpt/

http://www.howtogeek...ioning-a-drive/

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes this is why i believe i tried to make you also look at my post here http://www.geekstogo...ic/342068-uefi/

Regarding that.

In past when i had the HDD was doing my upgrade to Windows 8 i knew i had  EFI BIOS, never tried to do a UEFI install because my first concern was for Secure Boot in Windows 8.

But my motherboard did not support it, i even see it in MSINFO32 (system information screen), so i never attempted a UEFI GPT install of Windows 8.

Last time i reinstalled Windows 8.1 which i have now on the new SSD i sort of stumbled upon it, that is why i asked around about leaving it this way was best or not.

See this in my other post i linked.

As said there some say i was lucky to be able to do it, some say leave it it's all around newer and better, some reads as you said only if a HDD is larger then 2TB or you want more partitions then able in MBR.

So i read a lot about differences between MBR and GPT, till my eyes burned. I learned a lot too,GPT is still kind of new.

O.k. installing this second SSD just for games, someone else trying to tell me how to make it GPT by using diskpart after install of drive and first boot up, it should not need it, if it is only for games or data being GPT, MBR should be fine for this.

I saw from one of your links it will ask me when i open Disk Management if i want to initialize it in MBR or GPT

Edited by jds63, 22 August 2014 - 08:45 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

After you have connected you second SSD you will be booting from the OS drive and be using disk management to initialize/create partition, ( the whole drive) then format, I would choose GPT.   When complete, exit disk management and restart the computer.

You will have created a storage drive, you cannot boot from it.

Getting advice from differnt forum and asking for comment/opinions on the information, may cause confusion.  

someone else trying to tell me how to make it GPT by using diskpart after install of drive and first boot up,

Go with the simplest path, Disk Management.   Using Diskpart has inerrant dangers.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks, yes too much different opinions does confuse my choice of what to do.

I assumed since my first drive is GPT, make sense to make the other the same.

I just do not want to make more partitions with GPT style for this second SSD, this is were some of the questions came in.

Edited by jds63, 23 August 2014 - 01:16 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. i finished installing the second drive, when i booted i went to the disk management and the initialization box popped up already selecting GPT.

I did choose that, then i ran the New Simple Volume Wizard formatted,name it and chose D: for drive letter.

Everything is working good, i will try soon to install something on it as i was going to use it for games mostly.

I will see.

One question i never knew was when you install a drive it does not show full capacity in the windows explorer window.

This 256GB shows as 238GB free, my OS drive is a 512GB and shgows as 476GB total.  Never researched on why it always shows drives this way.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Two reasons for seeing that less that expected and paid for capacity.   Someone robbed me :angry:

http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/172191en

http://www.kingston....verprovisioning

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I certainly do feel cheated, by math and science. :no:  36GB on my 512GB and 18GB on my 256GB.

Thanks! I can live with it, just never questioned it.