Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Host file

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Hi

I am trying to figure out how to understand the entires in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts  file. It looks to me like it will try and send anything in it to 127.0.0.1 to block it from going out to the web, is that correct?

Some of the entries from my host file

O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.1    www.123topsearch.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.1    123topsearch.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.1    www.132.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.1    132.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.1    www.136136.net
O1 - Hosts: 127.0.0.1    136136.net

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi Doug. Those URL addresses are prevented from gaining access to your Computer.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

It looks to me like it will try and send anything in it to 127.0.0.1 to block it from going out to the web, is that correct?

That is correct. The hosts file overrides DNS lookup of a domain name, and 127.0.0.1 is localhost, or your own system. So any attempts to access those sites are basically reflected back to your own system, Since you likely don't have a webserver setup the result is a 404, or not found error.

However, hosts file can be and often are used maliciously. Malware can install a webserver and redirect legitimate traffic to other sites.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Thanks for the quick replies! How do the entries get in the host file? I never edited the file.

Thanka, again.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Probably malware  :(

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The "hosts" file (no extension) is usually located in "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc".

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Thanks for the quick replies! How do the entries get in the host file? I never edited the file.

Some anti-malware programs alter the HOSTS file. Have you ever had a program like SpyBot S&D installed? It's Immunize module will add sites to the HOSTS file.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I do have Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot installed on the computer along with AVG Free.

Thanks again for the help, Doug