Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can faxes be sent through Outlook 2003 and if so, how? We are under the impression that this is possible and I have researched it as much as I can and so far I have found nothing. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

If anybody has any suggestions, he or she can contact me directly at [email protected] (home) or [email protected] (work).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and/or ideas.

Michael

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hope this helps if not let me know

1. Do one of the following:
* In Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003, or Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI), on the File menu, point to Send To, and then click Recipient using Internet Fax Service.
* From Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, on the File menu, point to New, and then click Fax.
2. The first time you use fax services, you will be prompted to sign up with a provider. Click OK to open your Web browser, and then follow the signup instructions on the Web site.
3. Close your Web browser, and then return to the Microsoft Office program you want to fax from.
4. Repeat step 1. An e-mail message will open in Outlook with your document attached as a .TIF (image) file, or you can attach a file to the message.
5. Complete the Fax Recipient, Fax Number, and Subject fields.

Notes
* It is recommended that you use a cover sheet and complete the To and Subject fields to ensure that your fax reaches the intended recipient.
* You can enter a fax number from your address book. Country codes in your address book must begin with a plus sign (+); for example, +61/555-0112.
* You can add only one recipient at a time. To send your fax to multiple recipients, click Add More, and then repeat step 5.
6. In the Fax Service pane, choose the options you want, and then complete the cover sheet located in the body of the e-mail message.
7. Click Send.

Notes

* You must have Outlook and Word installed to use the fax service, and Outlook must be open to send your fax. If Outlook is not open and you click Send, the fax will be stored in your Outbox and then sent the next time you open Outlook.
* After you have signed up with a provider, you can begin with step 4.

ShowSend a fax using a fax modem

Edited by peterm, 12 June 2005 - 02:37 AM.

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Am I correct in understanding that this procedure is for sending a fax through the Internet? We have a fax modem and we wish to use it through the regular telephone line. Of course we will schedule the faxes to be sent during the night when most people are away from the office.

Whast about using WinFAX? Can this be done through Outlook 2003 or would I have to set up a separate file? Or should I be using Mozilla or Eudora?

Peter, thank you for your response. We are studying it right now

Michael

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
do you want to send faxes through your asdl connection?

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No. Through an external fax modem which we purchased specifically for this purpose. But if it is easier to use the DSL line, then we are open to that also.

Thanks.

Michael

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
try this for the web but if you have a fax modem i would use that
Create and send a fax
Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.

If you don't have faxing capability on your computer, or if you don't want to tie up your telephone line while sending a fax, you can connect to faxing services on the Web with the Fax Wizard.

If your computer supports faxing, you can also send faxes from your computer by using this wizard.

On the File menu, click New.
In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General Templates.
Click the Letters and Faxes tab.
Double-click the Fax Wizard.
Follow the steps in the wizard.
If you do not see this wizard in the Templates dialog box, you might need to install it.

To connect to the Web for faxing services, click Internet Faxing Options.

Notes

The hyperlink in this topic goes to the Web. You can switch back to Help at any time.

For more templates and wizards, visit the Microsoft Office Template Gallery.

Your faxing hardware or software may provide additional ways to send faxes. For more information, consult the documentation that came with your product

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
because you had outlook 2003 I thought you wanted to send via the web
Since you have a modem the above will show you how to send a fax
office comes with a fax program or if you have winfax you can use that but no need to buy it use what is in office.
any problems let me know
Peterm

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Again, thank you, Peter. I will probably try this at home first once I do set by the test computer and then once I am comfortable with it, I will do it at work also.

I also hope that in the near future I will be able to help others with their questions. My expertise is WordPerfect and I do a considerable amount of desktop publishing in English and Slavonic(Russian) or Greek.

Michael

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
quick question you don't need to send faxes through outlook 2003
is that correct. Do you have microsoft word?

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, we do have Microsoft Word but we generally use WordPerfect.

Our database is in Outlook 2003 and we send notices to our members and associates. Not all of them have e-mail and we also want to contact those who have fax but no e-mail. We also want to be able to send e-mail and/or fax notices concerning work opportunities. For example, a local university is putting out a RFP for concrete work. Ideally we would send an e-mail and/or to all our people who do concrete work and if they are interested, they can contact the university.

MIchael

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok what I gave you should work
If you have any trouble let me know