Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build PC on a budget under £500.00 (solved)

Best Answer jaco1 , 24 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Great news. Apparently my SATA Data cables were in the toolbox lol. I recently just found them after beginning to attempt to switch cables from an old family desktop computer. Data cables and... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If you purchased all the parts on the build list? You do have a discrete GPU, (add on video card) > http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/f6rjRB

Advertisements

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have all of the parts from that link yes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the reply.

At what stage are you at in the build.

i.e. installed the CPU/heatsink and fan, connected CPU fan to the MB CPU fan header,

Installed the RAM.?

Installed the MB in the case? etc.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hello, I have installed everything so far except the Video Card. And then I plan on connecting everything.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Insure you connect two 6 pin PCI-E cables for the video card. 

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi, I have finally attached the video card now and figured that the two 6 pin PCI-E cables were the VGA cables. However I am now having trouble finding any cable to connect to the hard drive. And also it seems connecting all the cables seems to be the most tricky part.

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your are right, the wiring is the hardest.   Where possible, try routing cables from the hardware, out to behind the MB, then back to the PSU.

Connect the SATA power to the HDD and DVD, then I will give instructions for the Siganal cables.

Showing the plugs that attach to the hardware, > http://www.evga.com/...-PG-0650-GR.pdf

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

How is the cable connecting going?   Up and running yet?

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Sorry for replying this late. I have only just figured out that I was looking at the wrong slot in the hard drive and that's why I thought I had a cable missing. However I hope to progress and hopefully finish the build by the end of the weekend.

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Connect the SATA power to the HDD and DVD, then I will give instructions for the Siganal cables.

Showing the plugs that attach to the hardware, > http://www.evga.com/...-PG-0650-GR.pdf

It has been a hectic weekend. However I have now connected the SATA power to the HDD and DVD. At least I think I have done this correctly. I am also beginning to think that I have more cables then I will actually need.

So I now await your instructions on the signal cables.

Thanks.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Oh, I am also assuming that on the next part you are giving me instruction on data cables right?

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Oh, I am also assuming that on the next part you are giving me instruction on data cables right?

Yes.   I might have confused you here, I used the term "signal cable" and I should have used the correct term, SATA Data cable.   

There are two in the MB box, they may be straight or angled at one end, they may be with retaining clips, or not. see images. 

If they have an angled end, plug that into the HDD/optical drives, other ends to the SATA ports on the MB.

Please refer your MB Manual, page 6, items 8 to 13. 

and page #20.   Plug the HDD into SATA3_0.   Plug the DVD player into SATA3_4.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please see info on the reply #28.

Have a look at the video.   about the wiring, starts 17 minutes in.  the case connecting is shown first, (outside of the case, so that things are clear)

https://youtu.be/0bUghCx9iso

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Sorry about the late reply again. I have had a lot of studying to do now along with also work. so sorry about that. I will get there though. Also I have a bit more free time for next few days anyway. So are these the right cables then?

0f49e9c46baa019266b1990a79cdff74.png

Also is it safe for me to remove the black and white covers and what end goes where?

Thanks.