Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build PC on a budget under £500.00 (solved)

Best Answer jaco1 , 24 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Great news. Apparently my SATA Data cables were in the toolbox lol. I recently just found them after beginning to attempt to switch cables from an old family desktop computer. Data cables and... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Just realized I made a mistake there. The data cables are already on the computer. They are the 2 power led cable, power sw, reset sw and the hdd cable. Just figuring out now where on the motherboard to put them.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Also is it safe for me to remove the black and white covers and what end goes where?

Not understanding this.   Cover from what?   Can you provide a pictur.

The image you uploaded, Does that cable come from the PSU?

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Okay, all the cables and things I currently have left are as follows:

69ad80953ed5ba9054772a34d94d8de5.png

I understand that this has something to do with the graphics card.

20ec65a58cefaeb9821940ce47a37332.png

This I am not too sure about.

3614d8f0e76392d30bc594b288f1562c.png

This is a better picture than before I think. I also think I made a mistake in thinking I could take the white and black covers off. Furthermore I can't remember where exactly this came from although I do remember some writing stating LDP and so forth or something like that.

6e064cca1fa17326750895ee4c53f4cd.png

I understand that this is something to do with the graphics card.

c1880bc0d8095be448c73c9e03439273.png

This is from the back of the case but not sure where to connect this too.

5afe058a2a7b4367fa081df0a10ced2e.png

These are also from the back of the case and I am not sure where to connect these too either.

bbf7ea421c5394740ea1c388fe165353.png

Lastly this also is from the back of the case of which again I am not sure where to connect to.

Everything else is now connected.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are nearly there.   what they are for, pic in order you listed.

1.   This is a video cable adaptor for connecting to the monitor, only use it if you cannot use a cable with the same ends, i.e. DVI (GPU) to DVI (monitor.) 

2.   Don't know, can you remember from which box it came from?

3.   An adaptor to take power from a PSU 12v Molex socket to a PCI-E socket on a video card.   You will not need it.

4.   A bridge connector, goes between two video cards.   You will not need it.

5.   More info please , any letters/marking, another pic please showing the end of the plug. 

6.   Plugs that run to the case fan controller.   You will only use two of them, one for the top fan, and one for the rear fan, the third could be used later if you install another case fan.   Your fans will have a Molex plug and a 3 pin or 4 pin (small) plug/s.  see image on this page, >  http://www.pcworld.c...a-case-fan.html

Plug the (small) top fan and rear fan plugs into two of the fan controller (small) black sockets. NB, they are keyed and will only go in one way around. 

7.   A 12v Molex plug to power the fan controller.   Connect to a 4 pin Molex socket from the PSU.   there should be 4+ on a single cable, use the most convenient one.  > http://i.imgur.com/bedmvbI.jpg

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi, going through your instructions now and will reply back shortly.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

2. I don't remember what box it came from but I was able to find that it has numbers on it labelled from 1 to 24 next to each individual slot.

5. I was able to find some writing such as jsw, the number 1 written horizontally and the numbers 2510 written on it as well as a small number 25 right next to one of the individual slots.

Furthermore I may have to put this building process on hold for a few days as I seemed to have come down with a horrible sickness bug and might need some time to recover. I will try to get back to you as soon as I can though. I do apologize that it is taking this long so far.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A delay is not a problem at all, get yourself a 100% well before worrying about response.

would still like a picture of the end of plug 5.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Okay, it turns out that number 5 was an extra fan. I have 3 fans and have connected them all to the power supply connectors now whereas I originally connected some of them to motherboard.

However here  are some of the new pictures I took:

9e452ffc4003c99aa4dbbb21bae98546.png

0f95d4183d70033952aac359e3776ece.png

39397541860a9499f8106f18e6819dc9.png

Furthermore everything is now up and running and working except the monitor. Am I right in thinking that nothing will appear on the monitor until I have an Operating System to boot up. I was originally expecting it to say "no operating system found."

However I am currently getting a Linux disk for it to work with.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

While iammykyl is offline I will chime in instead  :)

You should get at least a BIOS screen followed by a message such as no boot device found etc, make sure that you try tapping the Del and/or the Esc keys when you turn on the power.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

You should get at least a BIOS screen followed by a message such as no boot device found etc, make sure that you try tapping the Del and/or the Esc keys when you turn on the power.

All I first see is a "No signal" display message on the screen and then goes black. Also nothing happens when I type Del or Esc keys.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

That means that no video signal is being sent to the screen, will read through the entire thread and get back to you asap.

Edit.

With all power cables from the wall socket disconnected from the computer, ground yourself on the case and then remove the add on video card, check that the Ram is securely seated, the CPU and main power connections are in place, the same for the CPU cooling fan, connect your screen to the DVI port on the MB, reconnect the power cables, power up then post back with an update for us.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Okay, thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Did you note the edit to my reply #41, if yes how are things going.

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Yes, I have noticed your edit. Just about to check everything now. Oh do you mean remove the video card completely? And with regards to the dvi port that should be connected to the screen cable when everything is put back together again yes?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
do you mean remove the video card completely?

Yes.

And with regards to the dvi port that should be connected to the screen cable when everything is put back together again yes?

Also correct but just to clarify, it should be connected before you connect any power cord to the wall socket.